Remove Advertisements

MoP Mastery Discussion

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: MoP Mastery Discussion

Postby Klaudandus » Tue May 08, 2012 8:53 am

I got a question, Warrior's Shield Barrier is only physical damage or all damage?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Yelena » Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 am

Likely all damage. Physical only would leave them at a disadvantage to pretty much every other tank on any fight that featured magic-based burst as the prominent threat to tanks.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Klaudandus » Tue May 08, 2012 9:18 am

Yelena wrote:Likely all damage. Physical only would leave them at a disadvantage to pretty much every other tank on any fight that featured magic-based burst as the prominent threat to tanks.

But Shield Barrier is a 1.5 sec cooldown that can use 60 rage, just like shield block -- so, what is our analogous AM? Mutant WoG
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Tue May 08, 2012 9:33 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Yelena wrote:Likely all damage. Physical only would leave them at a disadvantage to pretty much every other tank on any fight that featured magic-based burst as the prominent threat to tanks.

But Shield Barrier is a 1.5 sec cooldown that can use 60 rage, just like shield block -- so, what is our analogous AM? Mutant WoG

Reactive WoG and Divine Protection, which is pretty much the DK method of Death Strike healing and anti-magic shell. Warriors still lack a 60 second percentage based cooldown. Shield Barrier is currently at 1:1 AP scaling I believe so has the same issues and benefits as absorbs.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Yelena » Tue May 08, 2012 10:04 am

Flex wrote:Warriors still lack a 60 second percentage based cooldown.

Upcoming build:
Ghostcrawler wrote:Demoralizing Shout -- a new (old) Protection spec ability, now in the form of a short-term, free cooldown, much like Barkskin. Reduces the damage done by 20% by targets against the warrior for 10 sec. 60 sec cooldown.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Flex » Tue May 08, 2012 10:20 am

Then shield barrier needs to go away.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby danpaladin » Tue May 08, 2012 2:01 pm

Flex wrote:Then shield barrier needs to go away.

Demoralizing Shout ~ Divine Protection
Shield Block ~ SotR
Shield Barrier ~ WoG

Nothing seems outright unbalanceable to me here. In fact I like the differences here. I like our toolset a bit more, assuming they won't have near 100% uptime on Shield Block, which they are aware of is a problem, hence the vastly different rage generation mechanics incoming next beta build.
danpaladin

Postby Newsom » Tue May 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Exactly. As I understand it, you'd use Shield Barrier for magical damage and Shield Block for physical.
NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Newsom » Tue May 08, 2012 2:06 pm

danpaladin wrote:Nothing seems outright unbalanceable to me here. In fact I like the differences here. I like our toolset a bit more, assuming they won't have near 100% uptime on Shield Block, which they are aware of is a problem, hence the vastly different rage generation mechanics incoming next beta build.

They mentioned they were thinking about giving Shield Block a 15 second cooldown but with 2 charges similar to how Roll works for monks. So you could chain cast 2 of them and the 15 second cooldown would start at the time you used the first charge. This would prevent it from having a 100% uptime even if you had enough rage.
NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Flex » Tue May 08, 2012 2:16 pm

Newsom wrote:Exactly. As I understand it, you'd use Shield Barrier for magical damage and Shield Block for physical.

You should be able to Shield Barrier at the same time as Shield Block as I don't think it would be too difficult to gain at least 20 rage to cast Shield Barrier. Toss in something like a Glyphed Impending Victory talent for a warrior and they get an on-demand heal every 30 seconds as well.

Shield Barrier has potentially become a rage dump for tanks over heroic strike.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Tue May 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Not to mention that Shield Barrier has enough potential to be more effective.

WoG is only good if you survive the initial hit so you can actually use it, and to do so you might have to use DP as well.

Shield Barrier instead might reduce the damage enough to survive, without having to rely on their new 1min cd, and the healers are gonna be topping you off right after that.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Yelena » Tue May 08, 2012 2:51 pm

You're also starting to encroach upon edge case scenarios. The "free" cooldowns are there for a reason, and also why some classes are equipped with external cooldowns. With Unbreakable Spirit, we're already looking at Divine Protection having an effective cooldown in the realm of 45-50 seconds.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Newsom » Tue May 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Flex wrote:
Newsom wrote:Exactly. As I understand it, you'd use Shield Barrier for magical damage and Shield Block for physical.

You should be able to Shield Barrier at the same time as Shield Block as I don't think it would be too difficult to gain at least 20 rage to cast Shield Barrier. Toss in something like a Glyphed Impending Victory talent for a warrior and they get an on-demand heal every 30 seconds as well.

Shield Barrier has potentially become a rage dump for tanks over heroic strike.

Hmm, or filling out between Shield Blocks if they implement the 15 second cooldown thing.
NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Meloree » Tue May 08, 2012 2:57 pm

Yelena wrote:You're also starting to encroach upon edge case scenarios.

I would assume so - edge cases are where all of the interesting tank theorycraft is.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Yelena » Tue May 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Meloree wrote:
Yelena wrote:You're also starting to encroach upon edge case scenarios.

I would assume so - edge cases are where all of the interesting tank theorycraft is.

If 95% of the discussion in this thread were more than supposition, I'd be inclined to agree.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta