Ghostcrawler: "Bringing Achievements to the Account Level"

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Ghostcrawler: "Bringing Achievements to the Account Level"

Postby Sagara » Tue May 08, 2012 9:34 am

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/5367158/Bringing_Achievements_to_the_Account_Level-5_8_2012

It seems reasonbale so far, even though I don't feel thet influenced by it (I guess I have an unhealthy relationship with my Queldan :lol: )

Only worry is how this will impact B.net accounts...
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Re: Ghostcrawler: "Bringing Achievements to the Account Leve

Postby Taikishi » Tue May 08, 2012 9:40 am

Woot! My paladin will finally have the Hand of A'dal title!
Taikishi

Postby benebarba » Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 am

while it probably won't happen (because they seem to have a 'all classes must be equally able to get this somehow' type requirement for nearly all achievements), I'm actually hoping this will let them delve into class/role based player achievements ala TF2... though I guess the downside there would be the 'requirement' to get them for group slots (i.e.: LFG, Must have <insert IMBA DPS/Tank/heals achieve name>). But simple ones like a player version of the 'classy' guild achievements would be doable.
benebarba

Postby halabar » Tue May 08, 2012 12:02 pm

can't see the post at work, but I am assuming that achievement completions scattered across toons will not combine for meta achievements, correct? or will they?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Worldie » Tue May 08, 2012 12:06 pm

They will.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Zalaria » Tue May 08, 2012 12:14 pm

halabar wrote:can't see the post at work, but I am assuming that achievement completions scattered across toons will not combine for meta achievements, correct? or will they?

The specific examples he gave were

I'm curious how something like Chromatic Champion would work... since the achievement itself stores whether you have credit for each part, I feel like it might count separate characters doing each of the requirements.

Also, Long Strange Trip has separate entries for Alliance and Horde... do they share credit?
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue May 08, 2012 12:18 pm

If they do battle.net account wide I could actually get my sea turtle...

Yeah, that'll never happen.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Tue May 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Zalaria wrote:
halabar wrote:can't see the post at work, but I am assuming that achievement completions scattered across toons will not combine for meta achievements, correct? or will they?

I'm curious how something like Chromatic Champion would work... since the achievement itself stores whether you have credit for each part, I feel like it might count separate characters doing each of the requirements.

Also, Long Strange Trip has separate entries for Alliance and Horde... do they share credit?

What about raid meta achievements? I might have ICC done but spread across 3-4 toons.

halabar

Postby Teranoid » Tue May 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Account wide achievements and mounts pretty much sealed me picking up this expansion. My shaman has almost 13k achievement points and almost 150 mounts and I absolutely hated the beginning of Cata where I felt like I -HAD- to play him otherwise everything went to waste. Now if I have to main switch for whatever reason I won't have to bother grinding the same mindless achievements.
Teranoid

Postby theckhd » Tue May 08, 2012 12:37 pm

Zalaria wrote:

I think he was pretty clear on that part. It's just like Explore Thousand Needles. One character has to complete all of the requirements.

It's a pretty straightforward system. Achievements are completed per-character, and shared per-account. To complete an achievement with multiple requirements, all of those requirements need to be completed on a single character. To complete a meta-achievement (i.e. one that requires several achievements), the individual achievements may be completed by any character on the account. Which makes sense, because once you complete the achievement, the whole account has it.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby halabar » Tue May 08, 2012 1:36 pm

theckhd wrote:
Zalaria wrote:

I think he was pretty clear on that part. It's just like Explore Thousand Needles. One character has to complete all of the requirements.

It's a pretty straightforward system. Achievements are completed per-character, and shared per-account. To complete an achievement with multiple requirements, all of those requirements need to be completed on a single character. To complete a meta-achievement (i.e. one that requires several achievements), the individual achievements may be completed by any character on the account. Which makes sense, because once you complete the achievement, the whole account has it.

So that sounds like I might get a few raid metas, or at least a hell of a lot closer. Dungeon metas too. Too many different toons brought on achievement runs. Now to wait until Panda and see what I get spammed with when logging in for the first time.

halabar

Postby Zalaria » Tue May 08, 2012 1:41 pm

You know, I didn't even notice that the Thousand Needles achieve had its requirements listed there. I assumed there was some other trigger for "zone explored" that caused the achievement to fire. I even had to load the Wowhead pages to get those links... sometimes I'm blind!

I'm still curious about the achievements that differ across factions. I guess they'll probably count either faction's version of Noble Garden for the account-level Noble Gardener meta, for example.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Tue May 08, 2012 1:46 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. I always hated the fact that my original war bear is on a rogue I no longer play on a server on which I no longer play. Now I get to have it on my paladin as well.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Newsom » Tue May 08, 2012 1:53 pm

Still no clarification on what "account wide" actually means (WoW Account or Battle.net account? Cross-region?) Oh well.
Last edited by Newsom on Tue May 08, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Qeeze » Tue May 08, 2012 1:54 pm

I personally think almost all achievements should be account wide

Its not the character that earned the achievements, its indeed the player...and trust me, I'm the one that's played all my characters since the game was released.

Some are already complaining "How will I know a player is good because now their alts have all these achievements? How do I know this player is good on his alt?"

HOW ABOUT DOING IT THE OLD FASHION WAY, test run them, talk to them, ect... you know, what we used do before there were achievements in the game. Or God forbid take a chance on them.

I spent years raiding, doing rep grinds and all sorts of achievements. I've earned my mounts & titles. I plan to enjoy using ALL my pets and mounts, on all my characters.

The best part (for me as a raid leader) is the flexibility I'll have in MoP to ask my raiders to swap to alts on progression raids. That's a huge advantage for guilds who run tight rosters like we do.
Last edited by Qeeze on Tue May 08, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qeeze

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta