Is Nalorakk Resisting Your Taunt?

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Is Nalorakk Resisting Your Taunt?

Postby Aoutlaw » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:05 am

I'm a little confused about the Nalorakk taunting game. My guild is 4/6 in ZA and we've got the 1st timed even down flat. We usually engage Nalorakk with about 8 minutes left. No problem right? Well...every time I face him for the 1st time, it seems that my taunt doesn't work. I have tried with and without macro, and I have tanked him both as troll form and bear form. My taunt getting missed usually leads to a wipe and this is really frustrating because if not for that we would be getting 20 minute loot. The second time we face him the taunt works like a charm every time.

My question for you all is, have you experienced the same thing? Has he resisted a taunt for you?

The only other thing I can think of is that I may be taunting too soon, before he targets someone after he changes forms. If that's the case then maybe I just need to wait another second before doing it.

Thanks guys!

In case the signature doesn't come up, I've got 499 defense, 15k unbuffed health, 23 dodge, 15 parry, 21 block and 17,100 armor. Also 375 spell dmg.
Aoutlaw

Postby Lore » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:07 am

What's your +hit (if any) and do you have Precision?

You need 9% total +hit (melee, not spell) to make taunts unresistable. Otherwise you'll see that happening.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Grigsby » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:18 am

I had the same issue - and after talking to the other Tank in the group

Taunt the boss roughly 1-.5 seconds BEFORE he changes forms. It seems he has a higher chance to resist taunt if you attempt to taunt him when he is changing forms/right after. Not sure why.

But it works beautiful before us - If you use Deadly Boss Mods you get a bar showing how much longer until Transform - Just taunt him .5 before he changes and you should be golden.
Grigsby

Postby Lore » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:22 am

I actually got myself killed doing that once; taunted just before the switch and he mangled, then went to bear and started applying DoTs =\
Lore
Global Mod

Postby honorshammer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:36 am

Lore wrote:I actually got myself killed doing that once; taunted just before the switch and he mangled, then went to bear and started applying DoTs =\

Stoneform FTW! Oh wait.......
honorshammer

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:07 am

I guess if it's your first taunt then this might not work, but BoP can shunt aggro to/from you once both tanks are ahead of everyone else.

I've never had "invisible" resists on nalorakk, but it does fail a lot on mobs with random charges. Taunting during a charge = no effect from what I can tell. No debuff on the mob, no resist over its head, nothing. (I'm thinking gruul brutes as an example.)

Are you actually seeing "resist" over his head every first taunt of the night? That sounds like incredibly dumb luck to me.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:21 am

I've never had a taunt resisted on him since the ZA went live (they resisted like crazy on the PTR with spell hit mechanics), but a BoP on your other tank will do the trick if your taunt is resisted. Likewise, you can bubble if the other tanks taunt is resisted.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:57 am

Dorvan wrote:I've never had a taunt resisted on him since the ZA went live (they resisted like crazy on the PTR with spell hit mechanics), but a BoP on your other tank will do the trick if your taunt is resisted. Likewise, you can bubble if the other tanks taunt is resisted.

None of mine have resisted, but I know my OT has had it happen twice. Bubble FTW.
jere

Postby Mortehl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:03 pm

Honorshammer wrote:
Lore wrote:I actually got myself killed doing that once; taunted just before the switch and he mangled, then went to bear and started applying DoTs =\

Stoneform FTW! Oh wait.......

QFT.

I've had to tank this boss through both phases before. I swear to god, never have I wanted to close my eyes and not look during a boss fight before then.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Invisusira » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:26 pm

I have yet to have my taunt get resisted, but I've had my OT's taunt get resisted a couple times. Fortunately, the bleeds wore off before he applied the debuff

I've also had to solo-tank him before, the old fear-breaking bubble/cancel macro is great for that.
Invisusira

Postby Aoutlaw » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it! I went back and checked on my +hit. I've got +15 spell hit rating. And +0 spell penetration. I rarely have taunts resisted to that's why I asked. However after looking it seems I am wide open to an occasional resist. Any suggestions on how to get that up w/o sacrificing too many other stats?

Also, the bubble/bop option is a good idea. I'll have those macros on my bar and ready to go next time just in case.

I went back and looked at a video I took of the fight and I did not see a "resist" show up above his head when I taunted. However, my Scrolling Combat Text may have it turned off. I'll look that up too.

So frustrating to have had the 20 minute run under control and get to the boss and a silly taunt resist do us in.
Aoutlaw

Postby fiorina » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:37 am

There is(was) something fishy with Bear boss sometimes. Symptoms:

- when I start tanking and warrior taunt from me, everything always working fine, taunts get resisted sometimes but my taunt warning kicks in and we handle it by bubble or BoP

- however when warrior/druid starts tanking and I have to taunt Bear from them, sometimes taunt will completely fail. There is no debuff on boss, just cooldown is eaten. If I try to taunt again once CD is ready, result is exactly the same, no debuff on boss, lost cooldown. I was using both macro and manual taunt targeting. This happened repeatedly to us in previous patch.

Only logical explanations I can come up with are:
- Maybe if he is taunted during form changes he bugs somehow, preventing paladin from taunting him again during that phase

- There is a threat limit for this boss we are able to Taunt, let say 30k threat difference.

I know, scary and illogical, but happened to us almost every run. We are doing timed event always, so for extra DPS it's better Druid will start tanking so he can DPS later. But with such "bug" we rather sacrifced extra DPS with me tanking as a first one.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:56 am

I actually don't remind any taunt resist on this boss on live servers for neither me or the (variable) other tank, and my hit rating is exactly 0 (don't even have Precision).

However i remind something like 99% resist rate on the PTR...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Aoutlaw » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:43 am

fiorina wrote:There is(was) something fishy with Bear boss sometimes. Symptoms:

- however when warrior/druid starts tanking and I have to taunt Bear from them, sometimes taunt will completely fail. There is no debuff on boss, just cooldown is eaten. If I try to taunt again once CD is ready, result is exactly the same, no debuff on boss, lost cooldown. I was using both macro and manual taunt targeting. This happened repeatedly to us in previous patch.

This is IDENTICAL to my situation. I'll try it again on Sunday and report what happens. Will record and maybe post a video so you guys can look.
Last edited by Aoutlaw on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aoutlaw

Postby Maranus » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:46 am

Never had a failed taunt on this guy. Once, I taunted early and got mangled, survived it... I should have bubbled it, but trinket/loh worked =P.
You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Maranus

Next

Return to Zul'aman