Remove Advertisements

All About Books/Periodicals

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All About Books/Periodicals

Postby Mannstein » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 am

poptart wrote:Currently re-reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson in anticipation of the final book 14 being released in Jan 2013.
(...)If you have a year (11,000 pages, 4.06 million words estimated) and are into "sword&board/magical" type fiction, I highly recommend it.

Poptart

"The Wheel of Time" - Very Good, i like it and can't wait if for the end, i don't like the new enemy/friend/army is more powerful that the last one feel/approach specialy after 14books. I recomend very much.

"Mistborn: Final Empire" - (Trilogy) - From Sanderson, it's very good and a very different twist - heavy on the magic/fantasy. I recomend very much.

"Song of Ice and Fire" - Games of Thrones- George R.R. Martin. VERY Good. But there is a catch:
1st book: Excelent
2nd book: Excelent
3rd book: Goo
4th book: barely readable, 1k pages of world building
5th book: slightly better then the 4th, but i couldn't take it anymore, more 1k pages of world building is too much for me.
I would recomend only reading the first three, but to be honest on this foruns there are some strong supporters for the lasts books.

Cheers
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby benebarba » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:01 am

I've found that the Song of Ice and Fire series seems to be a seriously polarizing force amongst fantasy fans. I'm not a fan, though I actually like the TV series.

Oh, I'll toss in another fiction work I liked (and the zombie talk a couple days ago reminded me): World War Z by Max Brooks. Possibly the 'scariest' fiction book I've ever read because it drew heavily on how we (as in society in general) actually have responded to large-scale disasters, global poltics and war. I felt it was also written in an interesting manner - as a set of interviews carried out by an imaginary near-future version of the author after the 'war'. I must admit I think it is possibly over-hyped at this point though, but I really liked it.
benebarba

Postby Shoju » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:43 am

Fridmarr wrote:I recently finished the Hunger Games books, they were pretty good. After not really liking the last book much, the more I think about it and ponder the ending, the more I think I enjoyed it the most.

I'm not a particularly discerning reader, most books that I read I end up enjoying, but they are generally on recommendations by others. A few noted here in this and other threads are on my list, and I'm sure I'll probably enjoy them. I don't really focus in on any particular genre.

I'm currently reading Unbroken (Non Fiction about a WWII POW), and I'm pretty hooked on it, though it's rather depressing at this point.

I started reading the hunger games at the behest of my son. I never made it past half way through the second book. I hated the ending of the first book. I hated the big "surprise" at the Cornucopia, and I thought that the "push back" to the hunger games in the second book was contrived.
Shoju

Postby Nakama » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:40 pm

I second the recommendation on World War Z, especially if you've been watching The Walking Dead at all. It was damn well written.

--Jed
Nakama

Postby halabar » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 am

Mannstein wrote:
"Song of Ice and Fire" - Games of Thrones- George R.R. Martin. VERY Good. But there is a catch:
1st book: Excelent
2nd book: Excelent
3rd book: Goo
4th book: barely readable, 1k pages of world building
5th book: slightly better then the 4th, but i couldn't take it anymore, more 1k pages of world building is too much for me.
I would recomend only reading the first three, but to be honest on this foruns there are some strong supporters for the lasts books.

Hmm.. I finally got around to ordering the set of the first 4. We'll see how it goes. Will hold off on #5 until I read the rest.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Arnock » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:37 pm

So I just finished reading Ender's Game and, wow, that was the best book that I've read in ages. I've always heard that it was a good book, but hearing the general premise of the story from friends sounded pretty cheesy, and I wasn't really eager to read it, but I'm glad that I finally got around to reading it.

Question for those of you who have read the other books in the series, Enders Game ended really well, in my opinion, and it was excellent as a standalone novel. Are the other books in the series worth reading?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Skye1013 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:15 am

benebarba wrote:The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Again more great deadpan humor and drama. Set in modern day Chicago, though sometimes the details are a bit off, but hey, it's about the only wizard in the phone book. :P

He's got another good series that I'm currently reading called Codex Alera. First book is Furies of Calderon, which is about a teenage boy (Tavi) that lives in a world of people that control magical (mostly) elemental beings called furies. He's considered a freak because he's the only one of his kind that doesn't have a fury. Without giving too much away, he basically has to try and save his homeland from Marat invaders. The Marat are people that have an affinity to certain animals and have formed tribes based on these animals (think, Native Americans to some degree.)

Also, I enjoy the Xanth series by Piers Anthony (there are currently ~35 books in this "trilogy.") It's a magical land that's (currently) shaped a lot like Florida. If you like magic, humor and puns, then this is definitely a series to pick up.

Another series by Piers Anthony is the Incarnations of Immortality. It's eight books, each dealing with a different Incarnation of Immortality (shocking, no?)

1 On a Pale Horse (Death)
2 Bearing an Hourglass (Time)
3 With a Tangled Skein (Fate)
4 Wielding a Red Sword (War)
5 Being a Green Mother (Nature)
6 For Love of Evil (Evil)
7 And Eternity (Good)
8 Under a Velvet Cloak (Night/Secrets)

It's very intricate in how the books correlate with one another, and if I had to pick an office for myself, it would probably be Evil (who isn't inherently evil, it's just that office's particular method of doing business.)

TL;DR - I suck at synopses and if you like magic and humor, pick up Jim Butcher or Piers Anthony.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby tinalt » Tue May 01, 2012 6:41 pm

I absolutely need to recommend The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson for any high fantasy fans. It's a great read, the biggest problem I have with it is that it's Sandersons entry into long series fantasy, so I'll be forced to deal with waiting for each new book for the next decade or two.
tinalt
Maintankadonor

Postby Nakama » Tue May 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Arnock wrote:So I just finished reading Ender's Game and, wow, that was the best book that I've read in ages. I've always heard that it was a good book, but hearing the general premise of the story from friends sounded pretty cheesy, and I wasn't really eager to read it, but I'm glad that I finally got around to reading it.

Question for those of you who have read the other books in the series, Enders Game ended really well, in my opinion, and it was excellent as a standalone novel. Are the other books in the series worth reading?

The Ender's Game books are almost all really well done. I especially recommend Speaker for the Dead and Ender's Shadow.

The fact that Orson Scott Card can write a book talking about the exact same events from a different character's point of view and make it compelling (i.e. Bean instead of Ender) is awesome to me. It doesn't make up for him being bat-shit crazy, but his writing for almost all the books in the Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow series is darn good.

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Brekkie » Wed May 02, 2012 1:51 am

Arnock wrote:So I just finished reading Ender's Game and, wow, that was the best book that I've read in ages. I've always heard that it was a good book, but hearing the general premise of the story from friends sounded pretty cheesy, and I wasn't really eager to read it, but I'm glad that I finally got around to reading it.

The continuation of the Ender plotline is very hit-or-miss with people, because it is quite different in tone and focus than Ender's Game. It gets weirder, and more moralistic.
Speaker for the Dead, however, I highly reccomend. It works as a stand alone novel as well.

If you liked Ender's Game for the tactics, sneaking, strategy, and epic feel, go with the Bean plotline next, starting with the parallel novel Ender's Shadow. I found that I liked Bean much more than Ender (who always struck me, even in adulthood, to be rather self-pitying), and his story kind of takes off right from where Ender's Game ends with the events on Earth and the eventual establishment of a multi-world human civilization. The follow-on Ender books kind of skip way ahead in time because of his relativistic travel, and you just sort of hear vague descriptions of how his brother Peter became Hegemon and unifies the people of Earth and eventually dies. With Ender the timeline just skips ahead to Suddenly-Galactic-Empire.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Klaudandus » Wed May 02, 2012 6:58 am

-House of Leaves
-Borges' compiled short stories
-The King in Yellow

I recently picked The Canterbury Tales, haven't had the chance to read it yet, but I've always wanted to.

Also, I'd recommend Homicide: A year on the killing streets, which is the book that inspired the tv series "Homicide" if you want something non-fiction.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby benebarba » Wed May 02, 2012 7:36 am

Klaudandus wrote:I recently picked The Canterbury Tales, haven't had the chance to read it yet, but I've always wanted to.

It's an interesting read - has it been translated to modern english or is this still in middle english (i.e. not entirely looking like english at all)? I got a copy with both and it was neat to compare them, especially after getting some help from a friend in understanding middle english pronounciation and spelling... as wierd as it looks, once you get the hang of 'reading it in your head', it's actually pretty neat and not nearly as ugly-sounding as you'd think.
benebarba

Postby Klaudandus » Wed May 02, 2012 7:57 am

I picked the version available at manybooks.net, but it seems ibooks butchered the format, so everything looks out of whack =(
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby benebarba » Thu May 03, 2012 10:15 am

Klaudandus wrote:I picked the version available at manybooks.net, but it seems ibooks butchered the format, so everything looks out of whack =(

I still need to get me one of them new-fangled e-readers. Much more handy than a book, I'm finding, by living vicariously through my wife and her iPhone :P

That said, I'll try to dig out the version I have and post it - IIRC, it was a paperback from Barnes and Noble in-store and wasn't terribly expensive. I think it may have been a 'classics' series, because I seem to recall my copy of The Count of Monte Cristo having a similar cover design.
benebarba

Postby Arnock » Thu May 03, 2012 1:14 pm

If you're thinking about getting an e-reader, I'd HIGHLY recommend a kindle. You can get a new one for as low as $80 now, it's small enough to fit in a back pocket, the battery lasts several weeks, you can buy books directly on the device, and sync books and page locations with a smartphone or computer reader.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

PreviousNext

Return to General