Pandaclysm and the other classes

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Pandaclysm and the other classes

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Worldie wrote:I'm dropping by just to say I'm completely disappointed in the huge dumbing down process the entire game has suffered from MoP so far.

fixt for you :twisted:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Well I'm not following other classes mechanics much, but the SP rotation on the beta right now is easier than fire mages' one, while on live they possibly have one of the most complicate gameplay, which is what i like mostly of the class.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Levantine » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Pls to be explain? If I can get away with a dumbed down shadow priest rotation I might actually go back to my priest. The primary reason I swapped to my shaman was I'm fucking terrible at live shadow and I don't have the time to improve at the moment. I also have this thing where I don't like being without a functional dps off spec. Hence face rolling my chain heal and lava burst buttons.
Levantine

Postby rodos » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Worldie wrote:Well I'm not following other classes mechanics much, but the SP rotation on the beta right now is easier than fire mages' one, while on live they possibly have one of the most complicate gameplay, which is what i like mostly of the class.

I think Blizzard are trying not to have "easy" and "hard" classes like they have in the past (they admitted once that Paladin was supposed to be easy mode at release). Rather, classes should have some rotation options that make it easy to perform adequately on any class, but still more difficult to squeeze out the maximum performance.

On live right now, I think shadow priest is fun, but the skill curve is probably a bit too steep at the low end. Running my alts through LFR, I could do as much dps on my assassination rogue with 333 weapons and half PvP geared as I could get out of my shadow priest with mostly 378 PvE gear (including staff) and 2-piece LFR T13.

If shadow priest (or other classes) lack any opportunity to improve performance by better gameplay - use of cooldowns, situational changes of rotation, etc. then that's bad, and runs against what GC has been saying about designing towards less complexity but more depth.
rodos

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Levantine wrote:Pls to be explain? If I can get away with a dumbed down shadow priest rotation I might actually go back to my priest. The primary reason I swapped to my shaman was I'm fucking terrible at live shadow and I don't have the time to improve at the moment. I also have this thing where I don't like being without a functional dps off spec. Hence face rolling my chain heal and lava burst buttons.

Basically on beta they removed Empowered Shadow mechanic (it's now a passive buff), they merged Devouring Plague with Shadow Word: Pain and removed the auto-renew. The shadow orb mechanic now consists in "Mind Blast generates 1 orb, at 3 orb use shadowy apparition".

So the gameplay gets down to "Keep 2 dots up, use MB on cd, use shadow app at 3 combo, spam mind flay in the rest"
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Levantine » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:18 pm

So it sounds kinda like exactly the same as live without the little things like the option to roll a super beefy pain and you have an extra button to push in shadowy apparition? As far as I know empowered shadows was already basically a passive buff in top gear and mind blast was worth using on cooldown anyway?

The spike burn was because of the 4pc and wasnt going to stick around past the endof the tier anyway.
Levantine

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:38 pm

On live you have to make decisions about when renewing dots, and your DPS can get really screwed if you dont get shadow orbs procs (I occasionally get several seconds of no shadow orb procs eventually losing ES buff).

Most of the ability of a high level sp is in the opening sequence, multitargetting and dot refreshing with procs/when ES or evangelism fall off. The burst rotation is a relative thing and useless for most of the time.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:10 pm

I very rarely have a non-3 orb MB these days. 4pc t13 is awesome in that respect. I should probably actually play my priest on the beta and see how it compares, but I've never thought of an spriest as being particularly difficult (maybe because I've been an spriest since classic?) Sure it's not a 2 button monkey (Arcane anyone?) but I've never seen it as hard.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:14 pm

It's definitively one of the hardest classes to play at high levels (not a case there's very few in top-end guilds).
Probably i as well may be missing something about the class, as my officer is doing 10k more dps than me with 3 ilvl difference.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:04 am

SP for dummies in the new build:
PRIEST_SHADOW_CORE_ABILITY_1 - Keep applied to the target.
PRIEST_SHADOW_CORE_ABILITY_2 - Keep applied to the target.
PRIEST_SHADOW_CORE_ABILITY_3 - Use when available. Primary Shadow Orb generator.
PRIEST_SHADOW_CORE_ABILITY_4 - Use when nothing else is available.
PRIEST_SHADOW_CORE_ABILITY_5 - Use when you have 3 Shadow Orbs.
PRIEST_SHADOW_CORE_ABILITY_6 - Use when your target is below 20% health.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:08 am

Yeah, looks like they've decided to make the "spec tab" serve the purpose of teaching rotation basics. Though a lot of them are just "use when available".
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:28 am

Worldie wrote:It's definitively one of the hardest classes to play at high levels (not a case there's very few in top-end guilds).
Probably i as well may be missing something about the class, as my officer is doing 10k more dps than me with 3 ilvl difference.

GuildOx did a break down of raiders with item level higher than 400. Shadow Priests are the 3rd most represented DPS spec behind Combat Rogues and Survival Hunters.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Worldie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:31 am

That amuses me.

Maybe I should quit sp then!

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue May 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Relevant to the discussion above, looks like they've overhauled Shadow Priests in the new build.

Baseline
Shadow Word: Pain no longer generates 1 Shadow Orb for Shadow Priests.

Talents

From Darkness, Comes Light no longer affects Shadow Word: Pain.
Spectral Guise now causes you to be stealthed, not invisible. (Wording change?)

Shadow

Mastery: Shadow Orb Power replaced with Mastery: Shadowy Recall - Gives your periodic shadow damage spells a x% chance to deal damage twice, each time they deal damage.
Devouring Plague *New* - Consumes all of the caster's Shadow Orbs to deal 2,099 Shadow damage per orb consumed and afflict the target with a disease that causes (1,049 + 50.0% of SP) Shadow damage every 1 for 2 sec per orb consumed. 15% of damage caused by the Devouring Plague heals the caster. 40 Yards Range. Instant. Costs 1 Shadow Orb.
Mind Surge (NNF) *New* - You have a 20% chance when you deal periodic damage with your Vampiric Touch to instantly reset the cooldown of your Mind Blast and cause its next cast within 12 sec to be instant.
Shadowy Apparitions *New* - When you deal periodic damage with your Shadow Word: Pain, you have a 12% chance to summon a shadow version of yourself which will slowly move towards a target which is afflicted by your Shadow Word: Pain. Once reaching the target, it will instantly deal 1,025 shadow damage. You can have up to 15 Shadowy Apparitions active at a time.
Mind Blast now has a 8 sec cooldown, up from 6 sec.
Vampiric Touch no longer regenerates health.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby djlar » Tue May 01, 2012 1:26 pm

15 apparitions? wow another Army of dead... hehehe

I'm guessing SAs spawn more when moving right? instant mind blasts while doing it nice..
djlar

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta