Tanking Hydross

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Mortehl » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:24 pm

I tank Hydross frost every week.

410 (Dwarf <3) FrR
350 + Spell Damage
Invis Pot

Dead Hydross. What we lose from Holy shield we can make up for the fact that we can fire off avenger shield from point blank since you can't block anyway.

I've flawlessed frost side every week this way for about a month now.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Lieris » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:19 pm

Mortehl wrote:I tank Hydross frost every week.

410 (Dwarf <3) FrR
350 + Spell Damage
Invis Pot

Dead Hydross. What we lose from Holy shield we can make up for the fact that we can fire off avenger shield from point blank since you can't block anyway.

Are you un-critable with that much resist? If so how!? :shock:

I am currently sitting at 285 NR, un-critable (with a flask) and 150 spell damage (I have to use my Sun Eater here). We've sort of put Hydross on the back burner for while whilst we focus on other bosses but I would really appreciate any pointers as to how I can improve what I have in the meantime! :)

edit: I can also do 269 NR, 309 spell damage and un-critable with a flask.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Deimosfobos » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:13 pm

410 (Dwarf <3) FrR
350 + Spell Damage
Invis Pot

Invis Pot, thats a good idea... we use a druid for the initial pull so the MT picks agro on the other side.
Deimosfobos

Postby Deimosfobos » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:15 pm

Ok... after much delay i finnally tanked Hydross.

We cleared all the bosses we had to kill, leaving him for last, so i had to do it, i was a bit scared to be honest, my connection was acting wierd and i was a bit laggy. But my raid told me to try anyways.

It was incredible easy! even with annoying lag... i even d/ced mid tanking and when i came back hydross was still on me! So of course, no agro problems. :D

I had 366 frost resist, 490def, 379sd and over 15k hp buffed. Healers said it was ez to heal, dpsers said it was ez to dps.

Im happy :D

Ty you all for the help
Deimosfobos

aggro ranged reduced

Postby Bendekar » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:41 am

so I tanked Hydross Frost phase this past week, was a pleasant surprise that his aggro range has been drastically reduced.

you no longer need invis or swiftness pot or a war/druid to make the initial pull work :)

I generally sport 315+ buffed frost resist, and make sure he transitions just *before* the fifth mark is applied.

My guild uses the AoE strat, and it just works like a charm with paladins.

To make up for the loss of Holy Shield aggro I judge Righteousness, drop Consecrate, and then use Avenger's Shield each time he switches to my color. I still haven't tried SoVengeance even after the recent change b/c I use the 1.6-speed gladiator mace.
----------------------------------------------------------
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
--Louis Pasteur
Bendekar

Postby jere » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:15 pm

This thread seems a bit out of date, so I thought I would liven it up since someone had questions about hydross in another thread.

I recently tanked hydross's Nature side as a progression kill for my guild.

What I wore:

Wildguard Helm with +20 NR glyph
Wildguard Chest with +150 health
Wildguard Leggings with +30 stam + 10 agil leg armor
2x AH green rings
1x AH green belt
Defense Trinket in place of Moroes Pocket Watch
PvP S2 Mace (for resilience)

With that setup I got to 327 NR (with hunter Aura), 12000+ HP (unbuffed), 99% uncrittable.

Consumables I used:
Flask of Fortification (500 health and 10 def rating)
Crawdad Buff Food (+30 stam)
Wizard Oil
Scroll of Agility

Steps:
1. While FR tank is tanking, I pop JotC, and run SoV to get the DoT running
2. As the transition to my phase started, I swapped to SoR for added melee threat
3. When he turns nature, I popped JoR, resealed, Consecrate, and then AS him
4. Maintained SoR/JoR, Consecrate, and AS (while using AW on transitions as possible)
5. When it was time to transition him back to frost for the other tank, I kept him targeted and made sure to pop JoR on him as soon as he changed to frost, then I went after one of the adds and tanked it. This kept Hydross on me if the Frost tank missed with his shield slam or whatever.

It is a very fun fight to MT, though add control could also be fun if they let you tank more than one add.

Somethings that changed are that he no longer has a long aggro radius so paladins can tank him no problem by running up to the platform. No speed or invis potions needed anymore. This means you can tank either the NR or FR phase. I prefer nature so I can use SoV as a buffer for transitions, but that is just me.
jere

Postby Lieris » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:45 pm

I now only wear the epic nature resist set and ring, no greens and no neck. In my experience you don't need to be at the resist cap and the stamina and defensive stats you lose from wearing greens isn't worth it. This is despite tanking Hydross and some of his adds due to consecration and frost nova.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby adese » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:51 pm

jere wrote:What I wore:

Wildguard Helm with +20 NR glyph
Wildguard Chest with +150 health
Wildguard Leggings with +30 stam + 10 agil leg armor
2x AH green rings
1x AH green belt
Defense Trinket in place of Moroes Pocket Watch
PvP S2 Mace (for resilience)

I'm not sure if you know or not, but there is a +NR Neck and Ring that can be made by a Jewelcrafter. The Neck requires revered with the Scryeres, while the ring requires Exalted with Cenarion Expedition.

While neither have defense or resilience, they do have a decent amount of stamina, so that might help you out in the health department.
adese

Postby jere » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:27 pm

adese wrote:
I'm not sure if you know or not, but there is a +NR Neck and Ring that can be made by a Jewelcrafter. The Neck requires revered with the Scryeres, while the ring requires Exalted with Cenarion Expedition.

While neither have defense or resilience, they do have a decent amount of stamina, so that might help you out in the health department.

Yeah, I knew about them, but I already had the AH greens from before, so I went that route. But the JC neck and ring are nice too.
jere

Postby Palad » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:36 pm

I not only tank Hydross but i tank all the nature adds aswell.

I build a 5stack of Vengence while it is in Frost. then when it switches over to Nature. Concectrate, Judge the Vengence on a 5 stack switch to righteousness for melee and dots goin at same time.

All adds and Hydross hit like panzys till the NR debuff stacks. All adds are dead before 25% nature damage. Then its just u and Hydross goin up to 100% I switch out early in the 100% range it gets hairy with are HP at this point Anything higher than 100% and your done.

Key stats.
490 defence
300+ nature risist. <make sure your hunter stays with you in the moves.
Then as much stamina possible.

I have a nearly equally geared Frost pally. but not able to get him to duplicate my success on Nature. I belive this is due to lower defence on the frost gear, and the extra damage he takes from exploding bubbles.

So we use Warrior and Prot pally on Frost.
Then Prot Pally on Nature.
Any other tanks just make sure we don't lose any adds and bring them back to the aoe.
CC = Continuous Consecration
Palad

Postby honorshammer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:28 am

410 (Dwarf <3) FrR
350 + Spell Damage
Invis Pot

I've been asked to do this for my guild.

So far I've come up with needing:

Chest: Iceguard Breastplate
Helm: Iceguard Helm - Keeper of Time Glyph of Frost Warding Enchant
Legs: Iceguard Leggings
Back: Syrannis' Mystic Sheen
Neck: Pendant of Thawing
Ring: The Frozen Eye
Shoulder: ? with Inscription of Endurance (Voilet Eye)
Trinket: Stormpike Insignia (Exalted)

1. Can you dodge his attacks? I was thinking my Dawnstone Crab might be handy.

2. Any other suggestions for the rest of my gear? I have T4 Shoulders, Gloves, and Head. Most of the rest of my gear is Kara epics.
honorshammer

Postby jere » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:39 am

When I do Frost, I have 328 FR buffed from:

Iceguard Helm + Glyph
Iceguard Chest + 150 Health (may want resilience enchant instead)
Iceguard Legs + 30stam/10agi
Green Necklace
Green Belt
Green Ring

All that plus my aura give me around 328 FR.

I would suggest PvP Weapon and Shield as the extra resilience will help make you crit immune.

Aside from those items, I try to maximize defense and threat in the rest of my gear (Arc bracers, boots of the protector, etc. are nice) and I use a Flask of for (for the extra smidge of defense). Defense Trinkets are nice here if you can fit them in.

Something to consider since you are alliance: When the nature tank has him, make sure you have JotC up and start building a SoV stack on him. It will help with the transition change later.

At the transitions, lay a consecrate in the spot where he will change, judge him as soon as he swaps to ice, and then start an AS toss.

Oh and you can indeed dodge his attacks.
jere

Postby honorshammer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:27 am

Does anyone have a link to a video of a Paladin Main Tanking the Frost aspect?
honorshammer

Postby Melathys » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:15 pm

of note, since the main issue is crit immunity, resilience works well in the resist set. The trinket from keepers of time is superb with resislience and 27 stamina.

I use crest of the sha'tar with 2x void crystals and resilience enchant. 15 resil in the chest piece. And resilience from arena maces.

and a question. I haven't tanked hydross yet, though I will very soon. You speak of tossing avenger shield point blank...do you not lose cast time? or you just keep casting til you get it off since shield blocking is useless anyway? Despite no shield block, I assume we can still dodge and parry?
Melathys

Postby jere » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:45 pm

Melathys wrote:and a question. I haven't tanked hydross yet, though I will very soon. You speak of tossing avenger shield point blank...do you not lose cast time? or you just keep casting til you get it off since shield blocking is useless anyway? Despite no shield block, I assume we can still dodge and parry?

His hits get progressively harder, so I typically use it at the beginning only when he hits the softer times. It helps with establishing a bigger threat lead quicker. He doesn't hit very fast, so it is very rare that he interrupts my cast bar (it is a quick cast anyways).

Another bonus to using AS early is it helps to snag two of the adds for a second or two giving the add tanks a chance to pick them up much more easily.

I typically lay a consecrate where he will change phase, judge at the transition, and immediately cast AS, followed by a consecrate refresh and a reseal. The rest of the cycle is just JoR+SoR and Consecrate.
jere

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern