A Call to Arms - MoP Mechanics Testing

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: A Call to Arms - MoP Mechanics Testing

Postby benebarba » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:49 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Edit: Chances of finding an isolated 85 dummy are pretty much nil, as the only level 85s are in Stormwind and Orgrimmar.

Yeah, I think someone's going to either have to get *really* lucky to get 20 minutes on an undisturbed 85 target dummy during the day, log in at like 3 am and hope for the same, or try to adapt to use a lvl 80 dummy that you can find in a less populated area.

If we're just looking for critical strikes to hit enough times... does crit chance change with target level relative to attacker?

Also, I'm seeing with a bunch of blue mail/leather ag gear (such as stuff from the links) that my spell and melee crit are identical. Is this expected?
benebarba

Postby tlitp » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Hmm, let's do this right. Before actually starting the crit test, let's make sure that things are "working as expected".

1. Take a level 85 Paladin (on beta, evidently).
2. Being naked, report race, Agility/Intellect, total physical/spell crit.
3. Equip several pieces of equipment that provide only crit rating (no Agility, no Intellect; 200 as the bare minimum). Report total physical/spell crit.
4. Equip several pieces of equipment that provide only Agility (ideally as much as possible; 300 as the bare minimum). Report total Agility, total physical/spell crit.
5. Redo #4 with Intellect. Report total Intellect, total physical/spell crit.
tlitp

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:33 am

Should be simple enough to do. The problem I noticed was in my full agi mail set I only had about 0.2% difference in spell and physical crit - I did check my base stats and it was 0.1% melee crit and 0.16% spell crit naked. Will edit in the full stats in a few minutes (also need to run back and buy a set of Int gear).

All done, turns out Agility is horrible for raising melee crit. I now have four different gear sets with weird mixes of cloth, leather, and mail. This gear vendor is a godsend for this stuff, though.

1) Level 85 Dwarf Paladin

2) Naked:
Agility: 93
Intellect: 105
Melee Crit: 0.01%
Spell crit: 0.16%

3) Crit only:
Crit Rating: 2164
Melee Crit: 12.08%
Spell Crit: 12.23%

4) Agility only:
Agility: 2652
Melee crit: 0.27%
Spell crit: 0.16%

5) Intellect only:
Intellect: 2978
Melee crit: 0.01%
Spell crit: 4.59%
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby tlitp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:13 am

Right. That clears a few things.
1. The base phys/spell crit are both 0.
2. The crit rating->chance conversion is identical to live.
3. The Int->sp.crit conversion is identical to live.
4. The Agi->phys.crit conversion is b0rked. Big time.

The test must be adjusted accordingly. Below is a C/P, with the alterations in place.

• Level : 85.
  • Weapon : Dalaran Sword (it must be DS, for the 1.4 "speed").
  • Gear : Anything loaded with Intellect. VP/JP gear, suitable trinkets, anything providing Int is fair game. Do not equip anything that provides crit rating (very important).
  • Buffs : Blessing of Kings. Keep it on for the entire duration of the first part (first ~20 mins).
  • Target : any level 85 dummy (the debuffs are irrelevant; it must be 85).
  • Attack sequence : AA (+SoI), J, attacking from behind.
  • Goal : at least 200-300 J casts (20-30 mins; see note #2). After reaching this number of J casts, continue to AA for another ~40 mins (to reach a total of 1h+). The last part can be AFK-ed at will.
  • Report weapon damage (alternatively, total AP), total physical/spell crit, upload the CL.

Note #1 : Mages/Warlocks do not apply the spell crit debuff anymore, thus hunting for isolated dummies is unnecessary. The rest of the debuffs are irrelevant for this test.

Note #2 : The exact number of the J casts depends on how much spell crit you can gather (without resorting to equipment with crit rating). We're talking about 200 casts at 9% spell crit, 250 at 7%, 300 at 6%, 350 at 5%.
Last edited by tlitp on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
tlitp

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:23 am

Easy enough with the gear I already put together. Will do it this afternoon after raid.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby tlitp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:52 am

Reran the numbers. The fact that we must use spell crit (hence Int) and that base phys/spell crit are both 0 is fairly annoying. It's advisable to muster as much Int as possible, because that decreases the number of J casts (i.e. the active part of the test). See the post above, I've edited it for improved clarity.
tlitp

Postby benebarba » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:08 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Should be simple enough to do. The problem I noticed was in my full agi mail set I only had about 0.2% difference in spell and physical crit - I did check my base stats and it was 0.1% melee crit and 0.16% spell crit naked. Will edit in the full stats in a few minutes (also need to run back and buy a set of Int gear).

All done, turns out Agility is horrible for raising melee crit. I now have four different gear sets with weird mixes of cloth, leather, and mail. This gear vendor is a godsend for this stuff, though.

Yep, I see precisely the same thing (Human paladin at 85).
benebarba

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:13 am

Intellect: 3615
Crit rating: 0
Spell crit: 5.57%

Melee hits: 2299, crits: 1
Judgement hits: 518, crits: 37

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/mx0g ... etails/33/
(Don't know an easy way to get rid of all the noise from other players using dummies, unfortunately)

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby benebarba » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:08 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Intellect: 3615
Crit rating: 0

Melee hits: 2299, crits: 1
Judgement hits: 518, crits: 37

(Don't know an easy way to get rid of all the noise from other players using dummies, unfortunately)

depending on what tools you have available (like say something like the unix commands cat and grep), you may be able to copy only the entries which have your character's name in them into a separate file. I had to do that with one of mine.
benebarba

Postby theckhd » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:53 am

There's really no need, WoL can do almost all the filtering you'd care about natively.

<edit> Also, that test seems to confirm that J uses spell crit (~7% observed crit rate, 95% CI of ~2%).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby tlitp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:55 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Melee crit: 0.01%

1. 147 glancing blows from 2565 autoattacks; the 95% CI is [0.0489,0.067], which includes the expected value (6%). In other words, GBs work as they do on live.
2. After some hardcore(-ish) log filtering, taking care of the two relevant debuffs (phys.vuln, weak.armor), I confirm that GBs (on a same-level target) work as they do on live, damage-wise. The damage range is still 90-99%, averaging at 95%.
3. 37 J crits from 555 casts; the 95% CI is [0.0485,0.0907]. The expected spell crit (5.57%) is within it, but the expected physical crit is well outside it. That settles it, J (and AS, most likely) follows both spell hit and spell crit.
tlitp

Postby theckhd » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:58 am

What build are we on right now, by the way?
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby benebarba » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:08 am

theckhd wrote:What build are we on right now, by the way?

15589 is what was showing up for me in version.
benebarba

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:35 am

Just realised I didn't give all the numbers requested - character sheet weapon damage was 103-143, attack power 589.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby benebarba » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm pinging a hunter guildie just in case on the pet/beast question. Another option may be to see if you can get in touch with someone from say WHU (like frostheim) to see if he's already mined the base armor data.
benebarba

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations