Help discerning critical debuffs (e.g. tetanus)

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Help discerning critical debuffs (e.g. tetanus)

Postby econ21 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:27 am

In the default UI, in a raid, I end up with a long list of buff and debuff icons. What would you recommend to make it easier to identify the one or two you really need to know about? e.g. how many stacks of tetanus you have from the elementium terrors? I'd like to know it for me and for the other tank (often my focus target).

I noticed vuhdo raid frames by default shows which tank has impale, but things have been too hectic on madness for me to check with tetanus.

I guess power auras could be set up for it, but ideally, I'd like something that helps without requiring customisation (as vuhdo does with impale).

Any help appreciated, as it seems almost all bosses put some stacking debuff that tanks need to know about - whether for tank switches, use of CDs or whatever. I guess it's usually the last icon on the standard UI, but it's rather small and hard to see for such a crucial piece of information.
econ21

Re: Help discerning critical debuffs (e.g. tetanus)

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:33 am

Are your debuffs not separated from your buffs? When I get Tetanus, it's the only debuff I have (unless I have Forbearance at that point).

Anyway, what you're asking is kind of specific. You want to know about the important debuffs, but you don't want to set up individual debuffs. I would've suggested something like Grid, but you'd have to add/enable each individual debuff for stuff like Impale or Tetanus, etc.
Last edited by Nikachelle on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:35 am

I use ThatJustHappened to announce stacks -- it's not just useful for tanks, but healers as well. Sometimes DPS can also help handle things when shit starts hitting the fan as well.

I find the standard UI to be useless for buff/debuff monitoring, and use Raven, which you can do a pile of other things as well, but not sure if it start getting into requiring customization that you're trying to avoid.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:29 am

Nikachelle wrote:Are your debuffs not separated from your buffs?

Not that I've noticed - I'd assumed they were all one big jumbled mess. The critical debuff does tend to be the last one on the long list of icons, is that what you mean? But my main issue is that the icons are very small, tucked away and it's hard to discern the number of stacks. Tetanus, in particular, seems so fast and lethal (even in LFR!), I'd like some big loud DBM type warning of it's stacks in the centre of my screen. (DBM does warn about some other stacks passing a threshhold, e.g. Morchok and Yorshaj, but I guess that's because they should prompt a tank switch.)

Anyway, what you're asking is kind of specific. You want to know about the important debuffs, but you don't want to set up individual debuffs. I would've suggested something like Grid, but you'd have to add/enable each individual debuff for stuff like Impale or Tetanus, etc.

I guess, it's just that many bosses seem to put some kind of stacking debuff on you (or buff on themselves) - this tier, Morchok, Yorshaj, even Zonozz I think buffs himself, Warmaster and Madness. I've got vuhdo and Power Auras working ok for generic stuff (my abilities), but find them rather a pain to set up and I don't rather not have to get into it for fight specifics.

Fuzzygeek wrote:I use ThatJustHappened to announce stacks

ThatJustHappened seems to be a worth checking out. It seems it does requiring setting up up individual debuffs, is that right? Is all I would need to do for tetanus, to put in SPELL_AURA_APPLIED, then type Elementium Terror and Tetanus into the relevant boxes? Do I need to type anything in the stacks box?
econ21

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:55 am

Not unless you only want to announce specific stack levels. You can just set SPELL_AURA_APPLIED and "Tetanus" and leave the rest blank, and it'll announce every stack.

If you only want to announce at specific stacks (e.g., 4, 6, 8, ohgoditburns) you can set individual line items to cut down on spam.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:38 am

Well the standard UI separates buffs and debuffs quite clearly. Granted, they're not in the most convenient of places since they're tucked away at the top of the screen - but there's a pretty big separation between your buffs and your debuffs.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:41 am

Edit: Old screenshot I found where you can see the separation between buffs and debuffs in the stock UI.

And wow... look at all those ranged we used to have...
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Epimer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:05 pm

First place to look is here, to see if anything catches your eye.

I use WeakAuras for some things but generally speaking not debuffs, because you have to set up each one individually and honestly I'm pretty lazy.

Buffs and debuffs is something which I think a good unit frame setup should do really well. I like this oUF setup for showing debuffs (only Exhaustion here) and highlighting my own boss debuffs:

Epimer

Postby econ21 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Edit: Old screenshot I found where you can see the separation between buffs and debuffs in the stock UI.

Thanks - doing Madness again tonight, I realised I have set up my UI so that the debuffs are rather obscured by other stuff (decursive - not that I ever need that these days). I think that contributed to the problem.

I did not notice whatever Thatjusthappened did, if it did anything (I remember reading one comment about it being off by default - need to look into that more).
econ21

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:40 pm

econ21 wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Edit: Old screenshot I found where you can see the separation between buffs and debuffs in the stock UI.

Thanks - doing Madness again tonight, I realised I have set up my UI so that the debuffs are rather obscured by other stuff (decursive - not that I ever need that these days). I think that contributed to the problem.

Ah this sounds familiar. I had to move DBM bars lower on my UI so that they didn't conflict with my debuffs. I only did it on my tank... so I notice the difference on my alts... but it's never been annoying enough for me to fix it on them. Guess it's just more relevant for a tank. (And it's not like my alts do srs bsns content anyway.)

Although saying that I just realized it ALWAYS conflicts with Fading Light.... brb fixing it on all my alts now.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros