Post Your Successes!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Successes!

Postby benebarba » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:57 am

Gurth (LFR version) is finally mine! Yay for crazy procs!

Though now I'm starting to run really low on reasons to run LFR :P (perhaps a success?)
benebarba

Postby Hespherus » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:39 am

Pyrea wrote:Took Souldrinker 14 weeks to drop.

I have yet to see Indomitable Pride at all. It hasn't dropped for my paladin in LFR, normal or heroic yet, after 223 boss kills that can drop it. If my druid didn't have it, I'd think it didn't exist.

I've used Souldrinker for 2 weeks now, and I'm not really convinced as to its value. it is nice at madness when it heals you for 50k during cataclysm, but otherwise I feel it leaves a lot to be desired and is nowhere near the potency of the other Deathwing weapons. The extra mastery on the Hand of Morchok and shield have enabled me to push another 3.5k life unbuffed to 233k, I feel that this will make more of a difference than the occasional 8k heal from Souldrinker.

It only needs to proc once to in a death scenario, to compensate for that 3.5k health though. Doesnt that make it better? I mean i know most of its heals are noise for the healers, but when you couple that with SoI, you can really avoid some close deaths.
Hespherus

Postby benebarba » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:49 am

Hespherus wrote:
Pyrea wrote:Took Souldrinker 14 weeks to drop.

I have yet to see Indomitable Pride at all. It hasn't dropped for my paladin in LFR, normal or heroic yet, after 223 boss kills that can drop it. If my druid didn't have it, I'd think it didn't exist.

I've used Souldrinker for 2 weeks now, and I'm not really convinced as to its value. it is nice at madness when it heals you for 50k during cataclysm, but otherwise I feel it leaves a lot to be desired and is nowhere near the potency of the other Deathwing weapons. The extra mastery on the Hand of Morchok and shield have enabled me to push another 3.5k life unbuffed to 233k, I feel that this will make more of a difference than the occasional 8k heal from Souldrinker.

It only needs to proc once to in a death scenario, to compensate for that 3.5k health though. Doesnt that make it better? I mean i know most of its heals are noise for the healers, but when you couple that with SoI, you can really avoid some close deaths.

It'll probably vary group to group, if the extra health buffer is such that they never get into that dangerzone (or do so rarely so that CDs cover it well enough), I can see where it may be questionable compared to other options.
benebarba

Postby theckhd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:14 am

Hespherus wrote:It only needs to proc once to in a death scenario, to compensate for that 3.5k health though. Doesnt that make it better? I mean i know most of its heals are noise for the healers, but when you couple that with SoI, you can really avoid some close deaths.

The only time HoMorchok would be better are for things that will one- or two-shot you in a very short time period, such that Souldrinker won't have a high probability of proccing. Pretty much any 5-10 second death scenario has a reasonable chance of getting at least one Souldrinker proc, which makes SD superior.

Impale would be a prime example of where the extra health would be useful, but most of us don't even bother to block-cap for Madness, that's an all-stam-all-the-time fight (plus Stay of Execution).

Focused Assault is another example where 3.5k health is probably better, but since you can't block cap for that either... it's another fight where block cap is unnecessary.

Dragon Soul has really been sort of a crap instance for block cap, in general.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Cogglamp » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:18 am

I got a night off from raiding as we had too many people sign up for our 10 man. As RL I sat myself to allow for other people to get some gear/experience.

It was kinda nice to just putz around, clean out the bank, and work on some rep.
Cogglamp

Postby Shoju » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:01 am

Not sure if this is a success, or a frustration.

I am now just 1 Blood of the Mountain away from my Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros. 5 clears of MC later.....
Shoju

Postby Fetzie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:12 am

From my perspective:

Morchok - The only time the tank is going to die is if the dps derp standing in range for stomp, and then a 10k heal isn't going to save you
Yor'sahj - this is a prime example of when SD would shine. Trickle down deaths due to not being able to heal the tank much while he takes increasing damage are a real possibility. Getting those SD heals can save you
Zon'ozz - Tank deaths for us were always Psychic beam + melee swing at high stacks. burst damage, 10k heal vs 120k from the beam and a potential 100k swing isn't going to save you
Hagara - focused assault is the tank killer. Didn't tank until the 15% debuff because we have a feral druid who begrudgingly respecced for the fight. The chance that the 10k heal will save you is fairly small IMO
Ultraxion - Tanks shouldn't die here. the only thing that can kill is derping HoT and FL. HoT can't kill me even if I don't use a cooldown since the 15% debuff.
Blackhorn - Burst damage (devastate + melee at 2-3 debuff stacks) while the healer derped Shockwave was our main tank death reason. Not something a 10k heal will prevent.
Spine - I tank bloods, the only time it gets bad is when I am kiting 30+ blobs and they catch up. In which case SD won't save me anyway.
Madness - tank killer is impale. Until you work out which cooldowns to use when, at which point it becomes trivialized. Might change on platform 5, haven't got to it yet.

So I only think of one fight where the SD proc can make a real, measureable, difference. The other fights it is only likely to reduce the overkill damage*.

*all raids are different, your own mileage may vary
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Fetzie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:14 am

Shoju wrote:Not sure if this is a success, or a frustration.

I am now just 1 Blood of the Mountain away from my Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros. 5 clears of MC later.....

when I did that I killed the destroyers, ran out and reset (I killed no bosses). Went in again, killed them again, ran out and reset. Made things a heck of a lot quicker. It also respawned the Dark Iron nodes iirc.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby theckhd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:36 am

Pyrea wrote:From my perspective:

Morchok - The only time the tank is going to die is if the dps derp standing in range for stomp, and then a 10k heal isn't going to save you
But neither will 3.5k health. Also, the tank failure point that you can control in that fight is two back-to-back melees during the Stomp debuff, another case where SD>HoM
Pyrea wrote:Zon'ozz - Tank deaths for us were always Psychic beam + melee swing at high stacks. burst damage, 10k heal vs 120k from the beam and a potential 100k swing isn't going to save you
One case where 3.5k health could be better, if the burst were all stacked up and you started from full health. However, the 10k heal could also be better if you weren't topped off. Especially given that you're supposed to have a cooldown running for the beam.
Pyrea wrote:Hagara - focused assault is the tank killer. Didn't tank until the 15% debuff because we have a feral druid who begrudgingly respecced for the fight. The chance that the 10k heal will save you is fairly small IMO
But again, if it procs once during FA, it's still better than 3.5k health. Especially since HoM doesn't give you any health benefit on Hagara, because there's little point in block-capping for that fight. You may as well use SD, because HoM is useless here.
Pyrea wrote:Ultraxion - Tanks shouldn't die here. the only thing that can kill is derping HoT and FL. HoT can't kill me even if I don't use a cooldown since the 15% debuff.
Since survivability/EH isn't stressed, you'd want to use the weapon that does higher DPS and does more self-healing. Which is Souldrinker.
Pyrea wrote:Blackhorn - Burst damage (devastate + melee at 2-3 debuff stacks) while the healer derped Shockwave was our main tank death reason. Not something a 10k heal will prevent.
Another situation where HoM has arguable utility. Though again, all it takes is one proc during the burst window (which is really devastate + two melees, at least)...
Pyrea wrote:Spine - I tank bloods, the only time it gets bad is when I am kiting 30+ blobs and they catch up. In which case SD won't save me anyway.
Neither weapon really makes a difference here, to be fair. It's the one fight where I'd say HoM is a completely reasonable alternative to SD, because weapon choice is irrelevant.
Pyrea wrote:Madness - tank killer is impale. Until you work out which cooldowns to use when, at which point it becomes trivialized. Might change on platform 5, haven't got to it yet.
Again, still not a win for HoM, because you shouldn't be block-capping for Madness anyway, so the extra mastery doesn't give you any health benefit. SD is higher-DPS and higher-survivability in this case.

Pyrea wrote:So I only think of one fight where the SD proc can make a real, measureable, difference. The other fights it is only likely to reduce the overkill damage*.

You keep using this "10k heal won't save you here" argument, but that's irrelevant because 3.5k health won't save you in any of those cases either. To really show that either weapon is better than the other, you need to compare the cases where one weapon does give a measurable advantage over the other. And if you do that, Souldrinker wins for any fight where weapon choice is relevant.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Shoju » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:01 am

Pyrea wrote:

when I did that I killed the destroyers, ran out and reset (I killed no bosses). Went in again, killed them again, ran out and reset. Made things a heck of a lot quicker. It also respawned the Dark Iron nodes iirc.

I was unaware (until last night after I had run it 5 times) that the blood could drop from mobs, and had speed run it on miners hitting nodes, and skipping trash.....

You have no idea how stupid I felt when I found out.
Shoju

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:32 am

Shoju wrote:
Pyrea wrote:

I was unaware (until last night after I had run it 5 times) that the blood could drop from mobs, and had speed run it on miners hitting nodes, and skipping trash.....

You have no idea how stupid I felt when I found out.

if it respawns nodes, sweet i still have 3 miners left to run it this week!
oh i am 3 ingots and 8 bloods from sulfuron hammer for my DK

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Killed Heroic Ultraxion last night. Unable to go through two bloods on Yorsahj heroic.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Sero » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Had one of the better raids last night:

Cleared everything upto Ultraxion on heroic, and we got the Minutes to Midnight achievement being the last one for our casual runs Twilight Harbinger's. We also didn't get swamped with Protector tokens (only user is a shaman, he's getting 410 tokens for his third set now...) and my 410 Blackhorn shield finally dropped!

Also made around 40-50k the last week by doing the elementium ore shuffle (JC/alch/disenchanting) thanks to the gold topic here on MT. :D

Btw, has TCG mounts gotten more and more common on other servers? I'm on Tarren Mill EU (Ex-Ensidia realm, so it's decently big) and I suddenly saw loads this week..
<Huhuholics> Tarren Mill EU
Sero

Postby Wonton » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:17 am

1) We killed Ragnaros 25man today in Theck's Real ID group! :) That may not sound like a big deal to some people, but hey, it's the first real raid boss I've downed (LFR doesn't count).

2) Someone posted "looking for prot paladin advice" in General chat today. I replied to it and spent the next 30 or so minutes teaching them about gearing, reforging, gemming, and enchanting. Apparently with some cheap modifications and a few JP puchases, I increased their CTC by 8%. :3 Doing what I can to train the next generation of tankadins and prevent uneducated things like the Ret Aura + Seal of Insight tanking I saw in a level 85 dungeon the other day.
Wonton

Postby Sagara » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:30 am

Wonton wrote:1) We killed Ragnaros 25man today in Theck's Real ID group! :) That may not sound like a big deal to some people, but hey, it's the first real raid boss I've downed (LFR doesn't count).

2) Someone posted "looking for prot paladin advice" in General chat today. I replied to it and spent the next 30 or so minutes teaching them about gearing, reforging, gemming, and enchanting. Apparently with some cheap modifications and a few JP puchases, I increased their CTC by 8%. :3 Doing what I can to train the next generation of tankadins and prevent uneducated things like the Ret Aura + Seal of Insight tanking I saw in a level 85 dungeon the other day.

*Sniffle* They grow up so fast... One day they ask you if they can pick up that old shield you don't use, and the next they're already teaching the next generation...
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

PreviousNext

Return to General