Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Books 2 and 3 were not worth it for me. And I wish more books were one shots, instead of dragging stuff out over a trilogy.

I didn't remember the werewolfyness of the "monsters" from the book, probably because I read them all about two years ago. Although the movie version of them really didn't make sense (like... it seemed they were computer generated... sort of?)

I've currently been reading way too much teen fiction and it's starting to do my head in. EVERYTHING is trilogies and it's really frustrating.

The Maze Runner... awesome book! Followed by two horribly boring sequels to finish up the trilogy.

Shiver (neat concept... if somewhat insipidly written)... which has two follow up books I'm dreading reading.

I've finally started reading Game of Thrones (yeah yeah, I'm super late on that bandwagon) and it's a breath of fresh air after all the teen fiction.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11003
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Flex » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I've currently been reading way too much teen fiction and it's starting to do my head in. EVERYTHING is trilogies and it's really frustrating.


Teen Fiction is all about making a franchise with a love sick "strong" female character as the lead hoping for it to become popular so they can sell movie rights to and become wealthy.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:I've currently been reading way too much teen fiction and it's starting to do my head in. EVERYTHING is trilogies and it's really frustrating.


Teen Fiction is all about making a franchise with a love sick "strong" female character as the lead hoping for it to become popular so they can sell movie rights to and become wealthy.

The Hunger Games were never about a lovesick female. Until the third fucking novel turned it into exactly that. What bullshit.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11003
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Mannstein » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:04 am

Nikachelle wrote:(...)
I've finally started reading Game of Thrones (yeah yeah, I'm super late on that bandwagon) and it's a breath of fresh air after all the teen fiction.


Well wait until you read book 4 and 5, then come back here to talk about "fresh air". :P
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:40 am

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:00 am

Mannstein wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:(...)
I've finally started reading Game of Thrones (yeah yeah, I'm super late on that bandwagon) and it's a breath of fresh air after all the teen fiction.


Well wait until you read book 4 and 5, then come back here to talk about "fresh air". :P

Sad face.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11003
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Arnock » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:07 pm

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:I've currently been reading way too much teen fiction and it's starting to do my head in. EVERYTHING is trilogies and it's really frustrating.


Teen Fiction is all about making a franchise with a love sick "strong" female character as the lead hoping for it to become popular so they can sell movie rights to and become wealthy.



Although I agree with you on the movie rights point, the 'strong,' lovesick female lead trend only really started with the twilight franchise. Heh, half of the books that are in the young-adult section of the library that I work at seem to have similar titles and almost identical cover art to the twilight books.


And, speaking of teen fiction, has anyone else perhaps read the Pendragon series when they were younger and think that the premise of the Hunger games themselves seem to be a little too similar to the Quillan games in the Pendragon books?
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Nikachelle wrote:The Hunger Games were never about a lovesick female. Until the third fucking novel turned it into exactly that. What bullshit.
The third novel? There seemed to me to be a whole lot less of that in the third novel than any other, given the state of all the characters, there wasn't much room for it until the epilogue. Of course that sort of thing could probably just fly right over my head, so maybe I missed it.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:The Hunger Games were never about a lovesick female. Until the third fucking novel turned it into exactly that. What bullshit.
The third novel? There seemed to me to be a whole lot less of that in the third novel than any other, given the state of all the characters, there wasn't much room for it until the epilogue. Of course that sort of thing could probably just fly right over my head, so maybe I missed it.

I felt there was a lot of "ohhhh who do I pick?" throughout most of the third book.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11003
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Brekkie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:25 pm

I find it kind of insulting how universally terrible these "Teen Fiction" series are. It seems like people say they are writing "for teens" as a indirect way of saying "I can't write well enough for adults". Which is bullshit. A story is a story and universal themes are universal. Implying that kids are unable to pick up on good writing and deep moral concepts, and that therefore they must be omitted from works directed at that demographic, is insulting. And also false. And even if it were true, you should write well and whatever your readers pick up on, they pick up on. One of the great things about the best books is how you can recognize new things every new time you read them.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Arnock » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Well, I think that the target audience for most of the 'teen' books tends to be more of a pre-teen level, for one thing. And I think that 'universally terrible' might be a bit strong. Most aren't really any worse than your average summer blockbuster: entertaining, but forgettable. Where, on the other hands, you can find a few nice gems, like Harry Potter.
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Brekkie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Funny you say that, because I thought Harry Potter was pretty terrible for the most part too.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Fivelives » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Harry Potter is pretty damn terrible. It's a collection of clichés, one-dimensional characters, outright plagiarized material, and deus ex machinas.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:09 am

I always thought of teen fiction as being written ABOUT teens - which is usually why it draws in teen readers; they want to read about their peers. One of my absolute favourite novels (Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox - a writer from New Zealand) is considered teen fiction but I wouldn't say it was written at the same level as Twilight is written. Not everything labeled teen fiction is necessarily terrible - the problem is that we're all dissecting very common and very public books that have gone on to become movies. This takes us out of "deep" literature simply because these are books produced for mass consumption with the intent of captivating that audience and making them stick around for a few years as they not only process the books, but follow it up with the movies. If we were discussing teen fiction that was far less common, I'm pretty sure we could come up with some excellent examples of good story telling for the teen audience.

You could also argue that chick lit is essentially teen fiction because it's generally written in a simplistic language. I don't think there's anything wrong with simple language - you don't always need massive words and sentence structure to get your point across. And if the book doesn't call for it, why would you bother? Sometimes it's nice just to have an easy book to read after you've read something a bit heavier.
Last edited by Nikachelle on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11003
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Barathorn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:28 am

Brekkie wrote:Funny you say that, because I thought Harry Potter was pretty terrible for the most part too.


See I don't mind Potter. The Hunger Games can take a trip with the WOWpandas and DIAF.

Best book I have read recently? Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
User avatar
Barathorn
Moderator
 
Posts: 7104
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: Mockingjay (third book in Hunger Games)

Postby Mannstein » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:16 am

Nikachelle wrote: Not everything labeled teen fiction is necessarily terrible - the problem is that we're all dissecting very common and very public books that have gone on to become movies. This takes out of "deep" literature simply because these are books produced for mass consumption with the intent of captivating that audience and making them stick around for a few years as they not only process the books, but follow it up with the movies.

I tended to read a lot... Every type of book but 60% High/low Fantasy... and despite the fact that some of the teen books (fantasy) have very good settings/developments... they generally tend to have 2 shortcommings, either the characters tend to be one dimension or/and Deux Ex Machina situations...
the character issues i believe are in part due to the fact that the "moral" aspect must be followed for the education of the target reader... If you go back to the first book we can't have Katniss cold blooded killing a competitor...

The fact that we are now discussing this book proves that some of this books tend to be good or at least raise above the "mediocraty"(sp)
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:40 am

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest