Profession bonuses

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Profession bonuses

Postby Vrimmel » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:08 am

Does anyone have any information on what will be the best professions this time around?
Vrimmel

Re: Profession bonuses

Postby Flex » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:36 am

I'll go out on a limb and say Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby benebarba » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:07 am

Flex wrote:I'll go out on a limb and say Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing.

Bah. Engineering and Herbing for tankadins. :P

Best for what?
benebarba

Postby Gab » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:13 am

Flex wrote:I'll go out on a limb and say Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing. Until the final tier where JC gets hosed.

Fixed that for you, unless of course they go back to the WotLK philosophy of normalizing profession bonuses with the introduction of epic gems.
Gab

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:24 am

Until the final tier where JC gets hosed.

Depends on how you use it. If you go by straight stam calculations you can argue you're losing some itemization points. If you gem anything else (mastery, strength, expertise, int) for anything else (parsehunting, comedy sets, still struggling to hit block cap, secondary specs), I would argue it still measures favorably due to its flexibility.

JC/BS is the least one-dimensional in benefits. This is a nontrivial consideration.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:25 am

I kinda wish they'd put epic gems in from the start instead of dropping them on us in the last patch. They could make them very rare raid only stuff in the first tier, than gradually increase accessibility (though maybe time and additional raid tiers would do that naturally).

The past handling hasn't seemed to work that well, with WotLK being patch day -> upgrade everything, and Cata having them a little too rare and unpredictable in the last tier, so you're actually finished with most of the content by the time you get all of your gems upgraded.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Gab » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:53 am

fuzzygeek wrote:JC/BS is the least one-dimensional in benefits. This is a nontrivial consideration.

Fair enough, JC is the second most flexible prof behind BS (since you can have dual stat cuts with BS even though you usually wont). It just took a hit to total itemization points and no other profs did.
Gab

Postby djlar » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:53 pm

and JC hopefully will not be ninjaed like when the DS epic gems came out.. you had the chimera's eye advantage that cut short a bit with the +50 gems.
djlar

Postby Yelena » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Considering how many people sat on tons upon tons of Pyrite, just waiting to be able to prospect it when epic gems went in, the way epic gems were handled in 4.3 was basically Blizzard slapping those people on the wrist.

I may or may not have had over two bank tabs completely filled with Pyrite. So yeah, not rebalancing things aside, I was a little pissed.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby lakhesis » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Last I saw we still didn't have a stam to bracers, so I'd be thinking that Leatherworking / Blacksmithing could be a good mix unless avoidance actually becomes massively desirable (beware of low flying pigs).

Other one to consider is if there'll be an OP item (i.e. Lifebound Alchemist's Stone - tho the current mists version isn't anywhere near as good for tanks). That said, outside of the occasional trinket, most OP items only last a tier.
When society says jump, we say pass the salt.
lakh's armory
lakhesis

Postby Kitmajere » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:23 pm

lakhesis wrote:Last I saw we still didn't have a stam to bracers, so I'd be thinking that Leatherworking / Blacksmithing could be a good mix unless avoidance actually becomes massively desirable (beware of low flying pigs).

Yup, LWing is the strongest and was this xpac too, due to the lack of stamina bracer enchants (even though they added int/str/agi ones..., not sure why stam was left out). That is unless we really NEED the extra mastery or whatever from JC. Drums of speed are always nice too.
So that plus BSing is the best bet.
Kitmajere

Postby Esilence » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:57 am

djlar wrote:and JC hopefully will not be ninjaed like when the DS epic gems came out.. you had the chimera's eye advantage that cut short a bit with the +50 gems.

If you look at the JC only gems they are now limited to 2 and have increased stat budget (http://www.wowdb.com/items/83141-bold-serpents-eye)

This should create slightly less of a stat loss when going up to epic gems if they don't modify it again.
Eteyin - Resto Shaman
Esilence - Prot Pally
EU-Wildhammer
Esilence

Postby Nooska » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:59 am

lakhesis wrote:Last I saw we still didn't have a stam to bracers, so I'd be thinking that Leatherworking / Blacksmithing could be a good mix unless avoidance actually becomes massively desirable (beware of low flying pigs).

The low-flying pigs are thattaway -> Hic fugiens porcos
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby djlar » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:30 am

My rogue is LW/Enchanter, so far the LW trainer is not up, so I can't even see any bonuses, the enchanting one is, but I can't get enchanting mats, current MoP drops disenchant to cata mats, we'll have to wait and see
djlar

Postby Jackinthegreen » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:50 pm

A guy on EJ noticed that secondary stats on gems are getting a bit of a boost. http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t129896-ret ... ost2128981

The numbers are subject to change of course, but JC will be equal to Enchanting and such it seems. LW looks like it's king due to no bracer stamina enchant, with BS being second due to versatility.
Jackinthegreen

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta