Retribution T13 Discussion Thread

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: Retribution T13 Discussion Thread

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:03 pm

I don't know what your rep is with Avengers of Hyjal, but the Essence of Eternal Flame is a decent trinket. I know some people are still using the heroic version of Heart of Rage from Chim in BWD as well.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:25 am

I figured this probably the best place for this occasional ret-playing tankadin to ask: what the heck are we supposed to do with HoPo during AOE periods? I have the 'keep inq rolling' thing down more or less, but occasionally seem to end up in a place where it seems like nothing else changes from single target (unless there are enough to justify using DS). Am I doing it wrong?
benebarba

Postby Gab » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:32 am

benebarba wrote:I figured this probably the best place for this occasional ret-playing tankadin to ask: what the heck are we supposed to do with HoPo during AOE periods? I have the 'keep inq rolling' thing down more or less, but occasionally seem to end up in a place where it seems like nothing else changes from single target (unless there are enough to justify using DS). Am I doing it wrong?

With the HoPo (and DP procs) you should still be using TV just like with single target.

The only things that really change are your seal, SoT to SoR, and replace CS with DS. Consecration priority also moves up a bit.
Gab

Postby Mannstein » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:39 am

Gab wrote:
benebarba wrote:I figured this probably the best place for this occasional ret-playing tankadin to ask: what the heck are we supposed to do with HoPo during AOE periods? I have the 'keep inq rolling' thing down more or less, but occasionally seem to end up in a place where it seems like nothing else changes from single target (unless there are enough to justify using DS). Am I doing it wrong?

With the HoPo (and DP procs) you should still be using TV just like with single target.

The only things that really change are your seal, SoT to SoR, and replace CS with DS. Consecration priority also moves up a bit.

2/3 target - I tend to get 5 stacks of Censure on all, it's possible, just do Single target changing when it reaches 5 stacks.
4+ stacks - SoR and DS all the way. Consecration > HW.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby benebarba » Thu May 24, 2012 10:39 am

Gab wrote:
warden wrote:For all of you protadins on here galavanting around in your offspecs, our very own Anafille wrote an awesome blog post today on her journey from Prot to Ret, and its a great read. Check it out on Ana, Theck and Meloree's blog: http://sacredduty.net/2012/04/02/why-i- ... tribution/

Good read, well written. It echoes some of my same feelings. Although I still enjoy tanking and it will stay my main spec for now, I find myself more and more enjoying melting some face. Every week I look forward to Zon'ozz, Yor'sahj and Hagara and even the Firelands runs to finish our mage's staff where I get to go Ret.

Ret has done a lot of evolution over time and seems to just keep getting better and better (more fun to play) every expansion. It's definitely been a great experience during Cata. Thanks again for all the advice and insight in helping me be a respectable closet Ret.

After joining up with a raiding guild as the OT (read: prot pally who's spending most of the bosses this tier as ret), I'm finding much enjoyment in smashing face and trying to use all these handy utility abilities to keep the MT from going splat. I'm also not dead-last in DPS which is nice :P

question: I am fairly confident that my memorization of the priority queue is not as good as it could be. I've heard clcret recommended - thoughts/comments?

also for the ret-swapping tankadins: on H-Hagara, do you just one-tank the trash and stay ret the whole time? We're going to begin attempts on it, and I usually swap to ret before we pull hagara but after we down the trash. It sounds like that wont be an option on Heroic?
benebarba

Postby Rhiannon » Thu May 24, 2012 1:38 pm

benebarba wrote:also for the ret-swapping tankadins: on H-Hagara, do you just one-tank the trash and stay ret the whole time? We're going to begin attempts on it, and I usually swap to ret before we pull hagara but after we down the trash. It sounds like that wont be an option on Heroic?

The trash and the boss aggroing mechanism doesn't change on heroic, you can clear trash as prot and then respec to ret without any issue.
Rhiannon

Postby econ21 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:33 am

benebarba wrote:question: I am fairly confident that my memorization of the priority queue is not as good as it could be. I've heard clcret recommended - thoughts/comments?

I am very inexperienced at Ret (I nearly always tank) and found clcret absolutely amazing. Yes, the ret rotation is rather simple and you could just do it unaided, but I suspect clcret makes most players faster at it and quite a lot of top ret dpsers do use it. I could not imagine using something similar with prot, but for ret, I would strongly recommend it. That said, it won't tell you when to use your CDs and these can have a massive effect on your dps - reading some threads like this one will give you some tips for DS, and anyway improved timing will come with experience.
econ21

Postby Gab » Fri May 25, 2012 6:18 am

benebarba wrote:question: I am fairly confident that my memorization of the priority queue is not as good as it could be. I've heard clcret recommended - thoughts/comments?

CLC ret is a great reference. But, as mentioned in this thread, even after customization you will often want to deviate from what the add on is suggesting to maximize dps. Mostly concerning when to refresh Inq. This might not be the best example, but during lightning phase it's better to try to save up 3 holypower to refresh your inq right before Hagara gets her feedback debuff then to cast inq on the add if you wont be able to get back up to 3 HP before it dies.

TLDR: Good for refernce but to maximize DPS it shouldn't be followed to the letter.
Gab

Postby benebarba » Fri May 25, 2012 6:28 am

Thanks for the replies - I may give it a shot as a training aid, until I get a better feel for the priority queue and my options. I've already started getting a better feel for when it may be better to spend a DP proc on refreshing Inq or on Zealotry than dropping an extra TV... getting a timer built into my inq Power Aura definitely helped there. But I occasionally find myself realizing I am not using everything I have when I could and sometimes wasting abilities like HoW during AW.

And WTB less lag on the T13 2pc bonus HP. :P
benebarba

Postby Gab » Fri May 25, 2012 6:45 am

benebarba wrote:And WTB less lag on the T13 2pc bonus HP. :P

It does take some getting used to but that is another place where CLC ret is understandably lacking. After judging it takes about 1 second to register the holy power gain and then changes the graphical queue accordingly, giving you very little time to react unless you are accounting for it in advance.

Another thing that helped me is when a DP proc comes at the same time you have 3 HP (or 2 HP and an HP generator off of CD) and require an Inq refresh is to ignore the Inq refresh until after the TV (or until after the HP generator and the TV when remaining inq time allows for it). It's very tempting to hit Inq right when CLC Ret tells you to but you have to be careful as you want to squeeze as much Inq uptime per GCD used to refresh it as possible. Hope that makes sense... I'm not very well written this morning.

EDIT: For clarity. I have my CLC Ret set up to Prioritize Inq refreshes at 5 seconds remaining, so in the situation described above CLC Ret is telling me to refresh Inq but I can still get in a TV (or a CS/Judgment and a TV) under the current Inq because of the DP proc without letting Inq fall off.
Last edited by Gab on Fri May 25, 2012 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gab

Postby Mannstein » Fri May 25, 2012 8:16 am

Gab wrote:
benebarba wrote:And WTB less lag on the T13 2pc bonus HP. :P

EDIT: For clarity. I have my CLC Ret set up to Prioritize Inq refreshes at 5 seconds remaining, so in the situation described above CLC Ret is telling to me refresh Inq but I can still get in a TV (or a CS/Judgment and a TV) under the current Inq because of the DP proc without letting Inq fall off.

Thats exactly what CLC ret is... I'm retri since lvl10... I still use it and will always use it... as a helper... With experience you'll learn that when to ignore it... there are dozens of clc ret A>B>C>D must be ignored...
Mannstein

Postby lazy_dave » Mon May 28, 2012 4:49 am

i have been playing ret as my os and have been using clcret to get me going on the rotation/priority.

i'm not sure if clcret works perfectly right from the off without tweaking the priority list.
can anyone point me to the right place to look for a correct priority string?
(or paste one here for me to look at and use)

thanks
lazy_dave

Postby Mannstein » Mon May 28, 2012 12:48 pm

lazy_dave wrote:i have been playing ret as my os and have been using clcret to get me going on the rotation/priority.

i'm not sure if clcret works perfectly right from the off without tweaking the priority list.
can anyone point me to the right place to look for a correct priority string?
(or paste one here for me to look at and use)

thanks

Can't link since i'm at work now.
Elityst jerks has a very good retri section with the semi-optimal rotation. Go check it... :D
Mannstein

Postby lazy_dave » Tue May 29, 2012 7:25 am

thanks for the tip.....for anyone else wondering it seems this is the way to go.....

inq 3-3-3
normal : inqa inqr cs jhp inqrdp tvdp exoud tvhp exo how hw
zeal : inqa inqr cs inqrdp tvdp exoud tvhp exo how hw
jclash 0

(i haven't tried this combination yet, it's just what was written on the ej forum post)
lazy_dave

Postby Skye1013 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:19 pm

lazy_dave wrote:normal : inqa inqr cs jhp inqrdp tvdp exoud tvhp exo how hw
zeal : inqa inqr cs inqrdp tvdp exoud tvhp exo how hw
jclash 0

I... er... what language are you speaking here?

I get the "inq/cs/j/tv/exo" parts... but what's with the "a/r/hp/dp/ud"?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes