Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

D3 official release date announced

Postby gtechman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 am

May 15th, 2012
gtechman

Re: D3 official release date announced

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:45 am

Neat. About a dozen people from my guild are coming out that weekend. Guess I know what we'll be doing during downtime.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:55 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Neat. About a dozen people from my guild are coming out that weekend. Guess I know what we'll be doing during downtime.

I read that as "a dozen people from my guild are coming out of the closet that weekend".
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby mavfin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:10 am

gtechman wrote:May 15th, 2012

Now I have only two months more to wait. But that's ok. What's 2 months after 10 years? :D

And Nika: I read it that way the first time, too, then my brain said "Huh? Reread that!"
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Shoju » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:12 am

Ok, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was thinking

"Why would a group of people decide to come out together, and have.... downtime, while doing so?"
Shoju

Postby Worldie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 am

You can already download the client if you want to *be prepared*

I'm already halfway through the 7.6 Gb.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby mavfin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:24 am

Worldie wrote:You can already download the client if you want to *be prepared*

I'm already halfway through the 7.6 Gb.

That was going to be the first thing I checked when I got home. :D
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:03 am

Oddly, I didn't realize today was the first day to be able to download it, but randomly checked bnet for it... hooray for insight?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:25 am

2 more months to build a beast computer to run it at max settings.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:Neat. About a dozen people from my guild are coming out that weekend. Guess I know what we'll be doing during downtime.

I read that as "a dozen people from my guild are coming out of the closet that weekend".

Haha, we already make enough jokes about lining the rape rooms with plastic tarp, and various people getting buried in the desert (namely the guy who got our first staff and retired two weeks into DS).
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Mozen » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Waiting for the all-language version. Looks like I'll be away from WOW for a little longer!
Mozen

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Has anyone played beta for this? I don't know what to expect this game to be like.. is it going to be like the old D2 with the overhead playstyle meets new age game design or has it been turned into a RPG style game like Skyrim?
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Kelaan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:41 pm

It still looks VERY much like Diablo II. It reminds me (from what I've watched) of the similarity between Warcraft III and Warcraft II: Similar, prettier, some changes bigger than others.

There's lots of gameplay footage, both on the site, on the http://www.diablofans.com/ site. There's also a bunch up on Youtube.

There's also some great Dev interviews up too which help explain what they're going to.
Kelaan

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:25 pm

As I said in the success thread, I got a beta invite! Huzzah!
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Andurin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:16 am

What i`ve seen in the beta pretty much gets summed up nicely by CAD comics:

Andurin

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Andurin wrote:What i`ve seen in the beta pretty much gets summed up nicely by CAD comics:

Pretty much... though with Rapid Fire on my Demon Hunter... I just have to hold down the right mouse button instead of spam clicking it :P.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:43 am

You could hold your mouse down and do most things in D2 aswell.
When playing D3 beta i find myself clicking a lot less than in D2, not sure why, might pick up the clicking a bit further into the game :P
Treck

Postby econ21 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:39 am

I'm getting D3 "free" from the annual pass deal, but was disappointed to learn that there is no "paladin" type archetype you can play - i.e. a plate wearing melee fighter with sword and shield. What class would you recommend checking out? At first glance, none of them grab me. (I've never played Diablo - preferred the Baldur's Gate type RPGs.)
econ21

Postby Passionario » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:20 am

econ21 wrote:I'm getting D3 "free" from the annual pass deal, but was disappointed to learn that there is no "paladin" type archetype you can play - i.e. a plate wearing melee fighter with sword and shield. What class would you recommend checking out?

Barbarian? I suppose they can fight in melee with a sword and shield while wearing plate, and their "Fury" resource could be interpreted as "Righteous Fury".
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:18 am

I'm trying not to get my hopes too high for this.

I've always been a big fan of Diablo but I realize that in the past decade my tastes for gaming has evolved far past mouse RPG's to keyboard / controller rpg's.. I think this will end up falling into what I classify as my "classics" gaming folder.. old games that I can't help but replay every few years just to reminisce (The primary games being SC, WC, Diablo, NWN, Half-Life, Stronghold).

I'm already seeing people trying to make plans on subsidizing their income with D3 item sales, I don't think people are realizing that since item sales are allowed the sheer volume is going to probably make items cost quarters... but it's all for nothing until the game is live.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby rodos » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Shyrtandros wrote:I'm trying not to get my hopes too high for this.

I've always been a big fan of Diablo but I realize that in the past decade my tastes for gaming has evolved far past mouse RPG's to keyboard / controller rpg's.. I think this will end up falling into what I classify as my "classics" gaming folder.. old games that I can't help but replay every few years just to reminisce (The primary games being SC, WC, Diablo, NWN, Half-Life, Stronghold).

I had a lot of fun with the Torchlight demo recently. The "rain of loot" style is fun, but I'm not sure how long that novelty would last. The existence of "non-combat" stats like Magic Find and Gold Find do make for some more interesting choices than WoW gearing, so that might keep the replay value up.

Shyrtandros wrote:I'm already seeing people trying to make plans on subsidizing their income with D3 item sales, I don't think people are realizing that since item sales are allowed the sheer volume is going to probably make items cost quarters... but it's all for nothing until the game is live.

The high cost of listings will prevent prices on the RMAH crashing to this extent. The limit of 10 listings per auction house (RM and gold) is also going to keep volumes more sensible. Here's some interesting speculation on dollar-making potential in D3 by Markco and his site's commenters. (Of course, Markco has a vested interest in convincing people they can make money in D3, so read with that in mind.)
rodos

Postby Shyrtandros » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:08 am

rodos wrote:The high cost of listings will prevent prices on the RMAH crashing to this extent. The limit of 10 listings per auction house (RM and gold) is also going to keep volumes more sensible. Here's some interesting speculation on dollar-making potential in D3 by Markco and his site's commenters. (Of course, Markco has a vested interest in convincing people they can make money in D3, so read with that in mind.)

Work impairement FTL :( <Insert Sad Face Meme>
Shyrtandros

Postby Arnock » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:31 am

Hmm, should one play D2 before trying D3 when it's released?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby lythac » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:42 am

Arnock wrote:Hmm, should one play D2 before trying D3 when it's released?

Yeah, for the story and something that doesn't require to much attention.

One word of warning the max resolution for D2 is... 800*600. If you are playing it for nostalgic reasons you can probably overcome that, but if not it is unlikely. It will look terrible.

Thankfully there are mods for it - http://gamerlimit.com/2009/08/diablo-2- ... ced-bread/ not sure if the link in that article still works, shouldn't be hard to find a working one. The mods seem to only be for offline use, which shouldn't affect you if you just want to play it for the story line.

Edit - I may have overreacted slightly, I think my issue was when I last went to play it stretched from 4:3 to 16:9, which was terrible.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Shyrtandros » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:36 am

lythac wrote:
Arnock wrote:Hmm, should one play D2 before trying D3 when it's released?

Yeah, for the story and something that doesn't require to much attention.

One word of warning the max resolution for D2 is... 800*600. If you are playing it for nostalgic reasons you can probably overcome that, but if not it is unlikely. It will look terrible.

There's an option in video options like most games and you can change the scale to a 1024*something that looks MUCH better.
Shyrtandros

Next

Return to Other Games