Remove Advertisements

LFR information and experiences

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby Treck » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:03 am

theckhd wrote:I don't usually bother inspecting the other tank when I'm on Theck. With proper trickery, you can solo-tank everything in LFR anyhow, so if they end up doing something stupid I usually just end up adjusting to fix it. Worst case is that they do something dumb, die, and I have to solo-tank.

Same, I que up with the intention of solotanking anyway.
Problem comes when the 2nd tank feels like he wanna do something when its completely useless like taunting the boss towards the raid.
I dont mind if someone feels like taunting at one or two stacks at morchok, or same on yorsahj.
But ive had 2x protwarriors who had taunt binded to some abilties, like shieldslam or heroic strike.
Image
User avatar
Treck
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 am

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby benebarba » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:10 am

Treck wrote:
theckhd wrote:I don't usually bother inspecting the other tank when I'm on Theck. With proper trickery, you can solo-tank everything in LFR anyhow, so if they end up doing something stupid I usually just end up adjusting to fix it. Worst case is that they do something dumb, die, and I have to solo-tank.

Same, I que up with the intention of solotanking anyway.
Problem comes when the 2nd tank feels like he wanna do something when its completely useless like taunting the boss towards the raid.
I dont mind if someone feels like taunting at one or two stacks at morchok, or same on yorsahj.
But ive had 2x protwarriors who had taunt binded to some abilties, like shieldslam or heroic strike.


I actually had one tank basically say 'I'd like you to stay prot in case you need to taunt off me if the healers are having trouble' on Yorsahj. I think the most annoying design feature of T-13 LFR is that so many fights are single-tank fights by design (regardless of leetness ;)), and really madness seems like they tossed in a reason to not just swap the two tanks for two DPS as you beat on a big tentacle monster.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby Jabari » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:31 am

Not sure whether this should go here or in amusements. *laugh*

My Shaman already has double-LFR No'kaled, so I've been running the back half as DPS for the first 3 (trinkets refuse to drop, bleh), then dropping group and queueing as healer for Madness to try for a healer weapon. (Yes, I actually heal too. Well, usually.)

Last night, get through the first 3 no problem. Drop out, requeue. Pops right away with a 3/4 - nice. Join in, and the fight starts immediately so I don't have time to switch specs or gear.

Oops - lesson learned, do that before accepting next time. *facepalm* (I've done the "join then switch" bit twice before with no issues - plenty of time to switch everything while people are preparing/buffing/etc...)

So I just go through and DPS anyway. Kill is extremely easily - probably the smoothest I've ever seen, and then someone posts the recount log and I see why.

My 40K DPS was FOURTEENTH on the meter! :shock:
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:46 am

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby Treck » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:43 am

benebarba wrote:I actually had one tank basically say 'I'd like you to stay prot in case you need to taunt off me if the healers are having trouble' on Yorsahj. I think the most annoying design feature of T-13 LFR is that so many fights are single-tank fights by design (regardless of leetness ;))

Yeh, thats the problem, to many are solotankable that the 2nd tank usually feels useless but still wanna feel like doing something.
And thats purely a design fault, sure they dont want you to have to depend on 2 people to be pro, but a fight like ultraxion just proves that you need to use both tanks (dont overthink it, it still has to keep at the LFR level)
But its just a huge faceroll, and people doing random shit every time.
If I join with one of my alt tanks and i get a tank who is heroic geared or something, I really feel like leaving, cuz theres not much point of me beeing there, and its not going to be fun since lots of heroicgeared tanks just kinda seems to be taunting stuff off you cuz they see you as unworthy of actually having a mob hit you.
IF like 6/8 would need 2 tanks, and the other 2 could manage with one, id have no real problem with it, cuz then sure theres a fight or two the tanks "sit out" doing nothing but just hitting the boss (and still doing more dps than half the group)
Morchok is kinda designed around 2 tanks, but hes so weak, zonozz 1 tank, yorsahj 2, hagara 1, ult 2, warmaster 2, spine designed for 2 maybe but only usefull for picking up extra amalgamations cuz dps take down multiple tentacles, and madness designed for 2, however if you get a tank competent of doing anything, he can solotank it, if he isnt competent, im not sure 2 tanks is going to help at all anyway.
Image
User avatar
Treck
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 am

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby bldavis » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:44 am

holy crap....
nice group

i am teh same way just instead of mace, i need the shield from blackhorn
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7347
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby benebarba » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:55 am

Treck wrote:
benebarba wrote:I actually had one tank basically say 'I'd like you to stay prot in case you need to taunt off me if the healers are having trouble' on Yorsahj. I think the most annoying design feature of T-13 LFR is that so many fights are single-tank fights by design (regardless of leetness ;))

Yeh, thats the problem, to many are solotankable that the 2nd tank usually feels useless but still wanna feel like doing something.
And thats purely a design fault, sure they dont want you to have to depend on 2 people to be pro, but a fight like ultraxion just proves that you need to use both tanks (dont overthink it, it still has to keep at the LFR level)
But its just a huge faceroll, and people doing random shit every time.
If I join with one of my alt tanks and i get a tank who is heroic geared or something, I really feel like leaving, cuz theres not much point of me beeing there, and its not going to be fun since lots of heroicgeared tanks just kinda seems to be taunting stuff off you cuz they see you as unworthy of actually having a mob hit you.
IF like 6/8 would need 2 tanks, and the other 2 could manage with one, id have no real problem with it, cuz then sure theres a fight or two the tanks "sit out" doing nothing but just hitting the boss (and still doing more dps than half the group)
Morchok is kinda designed around 2 tanks, but hes so weak, zonozz 1 tank, yorsahj 2, hagara 1, ult 2, warmaster 2, spine designed for 2 maybe but only usefull for picking up extra amalgamations cuz dps take down multiple tentacles, and madness designed for 2, however if you get a tank competent of doing anything, he can solotank it, if he isnt competent, im not sure 2 tanks is going to help at all anyway.


On madness I didn't realize until about a day or two ago that I think I'd been tanking the big adds on the final platform wrong... I'd basically just pull one of them out of the DPS pile and try not to die, on one run actually tanking two for a while before the other tank grabbed his. There's apparently some sort of bubble you're supposed to tank em in?
benebarba
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby theckhd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:16 am

benebarba wrote:On madness I didn't realize until about a day or two ago that I think I'd been tanking the big adds on the final platform wrong... I'd basically just pull one of them out of the DPS pile and try not to die, on one run actually tanking two for a while before the other tank grabbed his. There's apparently some sort of bubble you're supposed to tank em in?

Nozdormu puts down a yellow time bubble. While they're in that, it slows the rate at which they cast Tetanus, iirc.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby Cogglamp » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:18 am

I think my favorite part about the Terrors and how people handle them in LFR is that they decide to burn both of them at equal speed so both tanks are getting wrecked. There is definitely no burn order.
Cogglamp
 
Posts: 728
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:04 am

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby Treck » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:28 am

Cogglamp wrote:I think my favorite part about the Terrors and how people handle them in LFR is that they decide to burn both of them at equal speed so both tanks are getting wrecked. There is definitely no burn order.

I dont think I get what you are trying to say.

Altho what ive observer is that the 2 tank tanking with me always feels like he needs to have atleast one of them, so that we both have stacks and none can drop them, even if i double taunt both so that he can reset them, 90% of the times they just taunt one of them back.
Image
User avatar
Treck
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 am

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby Cogglamp » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:46 am

No one focuses down one Elementium Terror. The generally die at the same time and I've had numerous LFR runs where both tanks die as a result of this and we wipe.
Cogglamp
 
Posts: 728
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:04 am

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby Treck » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:54 am

Yes, and?
Never been in a raid where people nuke one of them rather than dps them about equally.
If you expect the dps to coordinate something, it would be a lot easier for the tanks to coordinate to rotate on both adds rather than one each, taking one each makes very little sense, unless both tanks are druids.
Image
User avatar
Treck
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 am

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby benebarba » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:24 am

having only done maybe like 6 weeks of LFR, when I was going through usually my co-tank and possibly even the RL would be the one telling my to just grab one of them and tank it.

I suspect the reason for this is because it's easy to coordinate, though not necessarily efficient or even smart. Certainly the raid-leading I've witnessed in my LFR excursions is slightly less active than I've seen in BH runs, let alone a 'real' raid. For the most part, I experienced the situation where the RL and my co-tank just expected me to know not just what I had to do, but what they'd be doing as well... without speaking. I'd usually whisper them what I thought I had to do, and they'd say 'yeah'.

Though this may also explain why on most of the madness fights I was in it seems like at least one tank dies by the time the terrors are dead, and the DPS just burn the daylights out of the boss.

notable downside to LFR: not running with the same people may lead to a less-than-optimal learning curve on the encounters. Especially since I think some of the strategies discussed here are not the ones you find if you googled 'dragon soul LFR strategy' at release.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby djlar » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:21 pm

I just do LFR for LOLz on my rogue, I usually need on everything if I win I give to the most deserving player (well if is a agility dagger and no other rogue's around goes to shard)..

Alghouh there's a lot of crybabies begging for the gear right away, I just tell them that I already gave it up..
Image
djlar
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:30 am

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby Amirya » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:30 pm

djlar wrote:I just do LFR for LOLz on my rogue, I usually need on everything if I win I give to the most deserving player (well if is a agility dagger and no other rogue's around goes to shard)..

Alghouh there's a lot of crybabies begging for the gear right away, I just tell them that I already gave it up..

I don't even respond to those people. "Oops, I didn't see it in all the raid text flowing around."

Personally, the most hilarity I find anymore in LFR are the people who get called out by my EnsidiaFails addon, and whine about it.

"Stop spamming, OMG!"
"Sure, as soon as you quit failing."
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3922
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby benebarba » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Amirya wrote:
djlar wrote:I just do LFR for LOLz on my rogue, I usually need on everything if I win I give to the most deserving player (well if is a agility dagger and no other rogue's around goes to shard)..

Alghouh there's a lot of crybabies begging for the gear right away, I just tell them that I already gave it up..

I don't even respond to those people. "Oops, I didn't see it in all the raid text flowing around."

Personally, the most hilarity I find anymore in LFR are the people who get called out by my EnsidiaFails addon, and whine about it.

"Stop spamming, OMG!"
"Sure, as soon as you quit failing."



Man, one run someone got all pissed (seriously - all caps and everything) that I had the audacity to announce to the raid chat when I used my major cooldowns (LOH, AD, for example) and taunts for spamming the raid. Here I thought that kind of info may be useful to oh, I dunno... the raid?

Maybe it's people who never set up separate chat windows so are all angry their outside conversation is being broken up? :P
benebarba
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], halabar and 1 guest

cron

Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], halabar and 1 guest