25H Spine

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

25H Spine

Postby exiledknight » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:24 pm

We have been working on Heroic spine and just seem to be running into issues with Bloods, in between plates we seem to spend too much time killing them to have amalgs soak them, otherwise we end up getting overwhelmed in p2. In addition our Hunters have been a bit sloppy and often kill 10 instead of 9 for the first plate explosions. how is everyone else handling this?

Is 3 tanks the answer?
Currently once we knock a plate off we have our lock immolate aura, and do some shadowburn thing on them while the rest of the dps kill the one corruption and then break grips. We then start to AOE them with SLT up to clear debuffs at the same time. Is 3 tanking it the better way to go at this point in time and if we can get rid of 2-3 during the transitions just deal with it? Or is there something we are missing?

Typical raid comp looks like this
Prot pally(on the bloods)
Blood DK
2 Resto Shaman
Holy Pally
2 healing preists, I think they have both moved to being Holy for this
2 Shadow Priests
1 lock
1 Balance Druid
2 Mages
3 Hunters
1 Fury Warrior(I think he may be arms)
1 Ret Pally
4 Rogues
1 Feral
1 Elemental Shaman

Also what is everyone having their hunters do? Right now we are having them handle the bloods, and we have the Mages Ele shaman, and 1 priest on grips.

We use 1 raid cd for when the add goes nuclear, 1 for when we blow up bloods at transition, and 1 for the rolls. Mainly I am starting to feel like with our raid comp we need to 3 tank it and just accept we will only get rid of a few bloods, otherwise the roll/grip etc brings a few dangerously low(and we usually lose people on the first tick of the grip following it).

Any idea's I am missing with this raid comp(other than bring alt mages lol)?
exiledknight

Re: 25H Spine

Postby madmessias » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:23 pm

exiledknight wrote:We have been working on Heroic spine and just seem to be running into issues with Bloods, in between plates we seem to spend too much time killing them to have amalgs soak them, otherwise we end up getting overwhelmed in p2. In addition our Hunters have been a bit sloppy and often kill 10 instead of 9 for the first plate explosions. how is everyone else handling this?

Is 3 tanks the answer?
Currently once we knock a plate off we have our lock immolate aura, and do some shadowburn thing on them while the rest of the dps kill the one corruption and then break grips. We then start to AOE them with SLT up to clear debuffs at the same time. Is 3 tanking it the better way to go at this point in time and if we can get rid of 2-3 during the transitions just deal with it? Or is there something we are missing?

Typical raid comp looks like this
Prot pally(on the bloods)
Blood DK
2 Resto Shaman
Holy Pally
2 healing preists, I think they have both moved to being Holy for this
2 Shadow Priests
1 lock
1 Balance Druid
2 Mages
3 Hunters
1 Fury Warrior(I think he may be arms)
1 Ret Pally
4 Rogues
1 Feral
1 Elemental Shaman

Also what is everyone having their hunters do? Right now we are having them handle the bloods, and we have the Mages Ele shaman, and 1 priest on grips.

We use 1 raid cd for when the add goes nuclear, 1 for when we blow up bloods at transition, and 1 for the rolls. Mainly I am starting to feel like with our raid comp we need to 3 tank it and just accept we will only get rid of a few bloods, otherwise the roll/grip etc brings a few dangerously low(and we usually lose people on the first tick of the grip following it).

Any idea's I am missing with this raid comp(other than bring alt mages lol)?

I think having the hunters on aoe is a bad idea, cause shamans really shine at it, and moonkins aswell. And the tank should be able to dish out shitloads of dps if he's doing everything properly, and ofcourse people helping with their cleaves, retpalas etc.
And yea, I think most people 3tank it, you can just use your feral and let him dps for first two plates.
madmessias

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:20 pm

The only compelling reason not to use three tanks would be if you're not going to be able to kill each tendon in two lifts as a result. At this point that should be very unlikely. If you have the feral only pick up amalgmations he gives up hardly any dps talents and can wear full dps gear, so you only really lose any dps on the third tendon when he might have to stay bear to help keep new bloods off healers, and that's the plate you should be using bloodlust on anyway so should not be a problem.

As there's no reason to not use three tanks on 25 man, there's also little reason to waste much time on cleaning up extra bloods on transitions. It can help sure, but if it's taking too long or causing too much healer strain then you should not do it. When we killed it for the first time on 25 man we didn't bother cleaning up any bloods between plates, after the third lift onwards our prot warrior kited while picking up excess bloods, I picked up bloods to be killed and our feral took the amalgamation and it was fine. It's a big deal on 10 man because you lack that third tank, so don't want to send someone off kiting until you absolutely have to, but the same doesn't apply to 25. Now our feral only picks up the last amalgamation, but there's no reason why a guild progressing should do that.
Rhiannon

Postby Weebey » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:35 pm

I had a somewhat frivolous question, which I thought I would ask here before bringing it up in our next raid: do things like Army and Greater Earth Elemental work on bloods (I presume the answer is yes), and if so, are they worth using right before the sixth pop to help prevent the raid getting overwhelmed? We were getting right to the sixth pop last night, but we are generally still a bit slow overall, and extra help on controlling the resulting extra bloods at that point would obviously be welcome.
Weebey

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:31 pm

They work yes. Doing so is usually more helpful than harmful, the exception might be if there's a lot of blood corpses floating around and you happen to have a new amalgamation floating around which picks them all up.
Rhiannon

Postby exiledknight » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:19 am

For any Pallies who haved kited, what type of pathing have you been taking? I think ours is really getting into the groove now but we have two issues

1. Picking up new bloods that end up on the healers(thinking of having the Holy Pally use RF, and tell the feral to just go to town and pick them up until the DK can)
2. When we roll before the third plate sometimes he gets gibbed(we plan on just sticking a holy pally on him and leap of faithing them to the raid once he Holy Wraths)

How did everyone deal with this? I am 100% confident that if we can solve these two issues that are slowing us o n the third plate we will kill it our next raid night, and as such wanted to get a bit of feedback here if these are the best solutions.
exiledknight

Postby warden » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:59 pm

We didn't start kiting until just before the first burn on the 3rd tendon--until then he just stayed in place and moved slowly to keep the bloods from getting behind him. The tank was kept alive largely by double-cooldown (PS+Shield Wall) and spirit link totem in the roll leading up to this (we linked every roll). Remember, you only need to be in place for about 1-2 seconds for the roll. We never really solved the "healer getting gibbed by loose bloods" issue, although Ana and I using Hand of Salv (I glyphed it for this fight) and HoP on them helped a lot.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:43 am

exiledknight wrote:For any Pallies who haved kited, what type of pathing have you been taking? I think ours is really getting into the groove now but we have two issues

1. Picking up new bloods that end up on the healers(thinking of having the Holy Pally use RF, and tell the feral to just go to town and pick them up until the DK can)
2. When we roll before the third plate sometimes he gets gibbed(we plan on just sticking a holy pally on him and leap of faithing them to the raid once he Holy Wraths)

How did everyone deal with this? I am 100% confident that if we can solve these two issues that are slowing us o n the third plate we will kill it our next raid night, and as such wanted to get a bit of feedback here if these are the best solutions.

Don't forget that you can use hand of freedom to not be slowed if you need to run past a hole in the armor.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)