A Call to Arms - Mists of Pandaria Beta

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

A Call to Arms - Mists of Pandaria Beta

Postby theckhd » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 am

Beta is upon us, so it's time to ask for help from the community again. I need volunteers willing to assist our MATLAB modeling efforts. There are a number of ways that you, the dedicated forum poster, can contribute:

1. Code Monkey - someone with a basic knowledge of MATLAB who's interested/willing to help maintain the code base. Stuff like making minor corrections to different modules or writing calculation files. Prerequisites would be that you know enough not to screw up the code, and have a passing familiarity with how to do SVN checkouts/commits or are willing to learn how to do so. The project is hosted on Google Code: Project matlabadin.

2. Error checkers - People who will look through the code and try and spot mistakes. Things like, "You missed the Seals of the Pure modifier for Seal of Awesomeness" or "I ran the code in Octave and got an error on line x of module y, here's how I fixed it." If you don't want to mess around with SVN commits but can read MATLAB code, this could be the job for you!

3. Wikinators - Eventually I want the wiki to include a page for each module describing what it does and how it's used. At this point, I don't have a specific idea how I want to do this, and won't have time to work on it until much farther down the line. If someone else wanted to make this their pet project, it would be an immense help.

4. Data Miner - Willing to do simple fetch/retrieve operations. Things like "Here's a list of all of the spell coefficients and base damages for our abilities at level 85, according to wowhead." Beta access isn't even necessary for this. If you're able to read MATLAB code and willing to check these sorts of things against the code and post about possible errors, that's even better.

5. Tester - I'll need people to go in and test things in the Beta from time to time. Things like "Does Talent X affects the damage of Ability Y or not" or "What's the proc rate on Talent Z?" This would obviously require beta access.

The category in which I'll need the most help is #5, Testers. This job requires no mathematical or coding background, just a small time investment. There's a lot of stuff that needs to be verified, so the more testers we have helping out, the better!

How to contribute

1. If you are interested in helping and need project access on Google Code: Send me a PM with your Google Account e-mail address and the type of work you'd like to help out with. You can contact me either on the boards here or via theckhd@gmail.com. You need a Google Account to gain access to the project. If you contact me via e-mail, please mention your forum name so I have some clue who I'm talking to. Also, take a look at the new 5.0 MATLAB thread.

2. If you are interested in helping with the testing process: Keep an eye on the Call to Arms thread, where tlitp and I will periodically be posting requests when we need things checked or tested. I will be keeping a "master list" of unresolved issues/requests in that thread. There's also a "World of Logs How-To" that explains how to set up a WoL account and upload combat logs.

3. I'm really, really interested in finding someone who's interested in updating the Wiki of the google code project. If you can read MATLAB and/or C# code, please consider volunteering to help in this aspect of the project. It only requires that you read the code and write a little simple documentation.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Re: A Call to Arms - Mists of Pandaria Beta

Postby theckhd » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Bump for a new wave of beta invites. Try donating 15 minutes of your beta access to parsing!
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby sfrog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:05 pm

*shrug* Tell me what you want me to go do in the beta, be it banging my head against the wall in Stormwind or smacking a dummy around, and I'll go do it for you.
Without Honor...there is no Hope.
sfrog

Postby theckhd » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:08 pm

sfrog wrote:*shrug* Tell me what you want me to go do in the beta, be it banging my head against the wall in Stormwind or smacking a dummy around, and I'll go do it for you.

Any of the parse requests in the Call to Arms thread are fair game. Pick one that looks friendly and go for it.
theckhd

Postby Fenris » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:13 am

1)Testing on a lvl 86 character is any kind of problem?Totally forgot i had leveled up already <.<
2)Noob question inc: how do you set the c.log to avoid showing other people?Never wanted to filter one so i'm kind of clueless.I actually did a record already for one of the tests,but it shows (quite obviously) everyone elsehitting the dummy
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby theckhd » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:22 am

Testing on an 86 will be fine for many of the tests. Most of them are looking at simple mechanics issues (does ability X use spell or melee crit, does it proc seals, etc.).

Don't worry about filtering the log, because the game still dumps everybody's information into the combat log that gets uploaded regardless of what filtering you do in-game. I can filter all of that out very easily in WoL anyhow. As long as someone else isn't hitting the same dummy you're testing on, it should be fine.
theckhd

Postby Fenris » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:31 am

theckhd wrote:
Don't worry about filtering the log, because the game still dumps everybody's information into the combat log that gets uploaded regardless of what filtering you do in-game. I can filter all of that out very easily in WoL anyhow. As long as someone else isn't hitting the same dummy you're testing on, it should be fine.

Eh,that's the main problem

I'm doing test 2,and seems the only place to do it is stormwind thanks to dummies positions...Guess the chance of finding no-one hitting the dummies there :?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby theckhd » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:36 am

There are no buffs/debuffs that affect hit/dodge/parry chance, so it doesn't matter if other people are hitting the dummy for that test.
theckhd

Postby Fenris » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:23 am

Uploaded it...Still seems a mess :?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby theckhd » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:04 am

Bump for massive data request. I need lots of dummy parses to determine our AP/SP coefficients.

Test #28: Determine Ability AP scaling coefficients
  • Gear: Any, need a variety of data points at different SP levels (from naked to fully geared and everything in-between). Avoid random procs - no weapons enchanted with Landslide, for example. If you have to, buy a green weapon from a vendor somewhere.
  • Spec: Prot
  • Seal: Any
  • Glyphs: Any that don't affect damage. Specify which glyphs you used.
  • Talents: Any
  • Target: Any level 90 dummy [u]with no debuffs[/url]. If you use a group of dummies, make sure all the ones you hit are L90.
  • Attack Sequence: Full rotation: CS>J>AS>Cons>HW with SotR as HP dump (can macro it to CS if you want)
  • Goal: several hundred J, AS, CS, Cons, SotR casts, the more the better. Overall goal is to collect >5k casts from multiple sources at different AP levels.
  • Report: build, AP, SP, hit/exp, haste, crit, weapon details, seal, glyphs talents. upload the combat log
theckhd

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:22 am

Does that test need to be done by a level 90 or is a level 85 enough? I have had hardly any time to level on beta at all due to a mix of course work, trying to stop a guild imploding and D3. If an 85 is ok I could probably find 30-60 minutes tonight to go pummel a target dummy.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby theckhd » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 am

I would prefer level 90, just in case the spell coefficients change with level. That said, if a few people at different levels want to submit parses, we can look at them to see if that's really the case. If not, then any level would be sufficient.
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:02 am

theckhd wrote:I would prefer level 90, just in case the spell coefficients change with level. That said, if a few people at different levels want to submit parses, we can look at them to see if that's really the case. If not, then any level would be sufficient.

OK, if wowhead/wowdb are to be believed, the spell coefficients don't change with level. So feel free to submit parses even if you're not level 90. Please include your level when you post the link, though.
theckhd

Postby Sagara » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:15 am

Allow me to shout.

:yay:

I'll try and log something tonight.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby benebarba » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:55 pm

theckhd wrote:
theckhd wrote:I would prefer level 90, just in case the spell coefficients change with level. That said, if a few people at different levels want to submit parses, we can look at them to see if that's really the case. If not, then any level would be sufficient.

OK, if wowhead/wowdb are to be believed, the spell coefficients don't change with level. So feel free to submit parses even if you're not level 90. Please include your level when you post the link, though.

still need level 90 dummy?
benebarba

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta