Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby palapower » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi !
I got the Leg Token last night and I am not on Heroic gear yet ! So, would you advice me to change my Crafted Legs ?
Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... r/advanced
I seems not advantage right now, the off-set legs give me soooo much mastery ! Seems better than the set.
But ... i got Immolation Shoulderguards Heroic (322) which is gain in mastery more than Off-set Legs(260). So, im thinking im switch off-set Legs for the Set One and replace set shoulder with Immolation Shoulderguards Heroic one, until i get Heroic Morchok one.
Ok the Shoulders are 8 ilvls difference, but that does not really matters, does it :) ? Also, im keeping 4pc which helps my 10m group a lot.

Edit: Well, i played around with chardev.org and missed about 100 Health, from 212010 to 211939. But the gain in terms of Avoidance were nice boost, from 15% both to 17.10% both !!! I think it a nice gain !!! And not so bad 100 less health !

Here is my link to chardev (amazing site btw).
http://chardev.org/?profile=375763

I got the 3 Trinkets from Dragon Soul, but i dont feel like stamina is problem for 10M normal, so i equipped the Dodge one.

Edit: Actually, i forced reforge and gemming to raise dodge/parry from 15% to 20% right now, lost about 14k life.

I need some advice, correct me if im wrong or missed some point !
Last edited by palapower on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
palapower

Postby Wonton » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Alright, I got a few 378 drops from the Hour of Twilight dungeons, and bought a few VP items.

Am I ready to tank LFR Dragon Soul? Or am I going to get 2 shot?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... m/advanced
Wonton

Postby gronc2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:40 am

palapower,

the only think that I would say is increasing your dodge and parry doesn't help you much against most of the damage in DS as it unavoidable. Even the physical damage like Hagara, and impale won't be affected by avoidance. Therefore stamina would seem more important to me.

gronc
gronc2

Postby gronc2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:43 am

Wonton wrote:Alright, I got a few 378 drops from the Hour of Twilight dungeons, and bought a few VP items.

I would run lfrs you should be fine. But try and get the Tol Barad trinket Mirror, that will help you alot in dealing with the shadow damage. Getting atleast a two piece from the LFRs will help quite a bit.

gronc
gronc2

Postby Wonton » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:43 pm

gronc2 wrote:
Wonton wrote:Alright, I got a few 378 drops from the Hour of Twilight dungeons, and bought a few VP items.

I would run lfrs you should be fine. But try and get the Tol Barad trinket Mirror, that will help you alot in dealing with the shadow damage. Getting atleast a two piece from the LFRs will help quite a bit.

gronc

Is that trinket really necessary? Resistance Aura already gives 195 Shadow resistance, and I'd rather get the HUGE chunk of mastery that the VP trinket gives so I can finally hit the CTC cap.
Wonton

Postby Gab » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Wonton wrote:
gronc2 wrote:

gronc

Is that trinket really necessary? Resistance Aura already gives 195 Shadow resistance, and I'd rather get the HUGE chunk of mastery that the VP trinket gives so I can finally hit the CTC cap.

For normal modes? Not really necessary especially with the ongoing nerf (which might be bumped up to 15% tomorrow). It is, however, very helpful for Zon'ozz and Yor'sahj heroics but again I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary. Overall it's a great trinket though.

2pc LFR really isn't much of a game changer. You will reduce your overall damage taken slightly but it really isn't very important, as the absorb is quite small and you are never going to hold up a judgement or change rotation to get the shield up at a specific time. The LFR tier pieces are not a very large upgrade over 378 pcs that are well itemized. The shield from 2 pc will very rarely, if ever, save you in a death scenario and generally the shield is small enough where it alone will not change your healers behaviors. Not a very important bonus imo.
Gab

Postby gronc2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:13 pm

yeah ctc cap is most important, the vp trinket can help you get there.

The mirror is a great trink for zon'ozz and Yor'sahj as well as the elementium terrors on madness.

I felt the two piece bonus helped, the four piece helps the raid alot especially when you get to the intense parts of yor or madness

gronc
gronc2

Postby econ21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Wonton wrote:Is that trinket really necessary? Resistance Aura already gives 195 Shadow resistance, and I'd rather get the HUGE chunk of mastery that the VP trinket gives so I can finally hit the CTC cap.

Also, don't forget to glyph divine protection - that will help a lot with the magic damage that the mirror also assists with. The trinket is not necessary, but you can alternate it's use with divine protection to give you a great CD always available for Zonozz's pyschic drain and Yorshaj's stacking debuff. Most of the time, I wear the VP one but switch for those two bosses.

The mirror is probably the single most overpowered piece of tank gear in Cataclysm. I think Blizzard have said it was so good, we'll never see its like again. For shame. :cry:
econ21

Postby Era » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:14 pm

I couldn't find any specific numbers on this, although I'll admit I didn't search outside of Maintankadin forums. Is there a point in gearing where Austere (+armor) meta gem becomes preferable to the Eternal (+block)?
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby econ21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Theck has crunched the numbers:

viewtopic.php?p=635167#p635167

It looks like no, once you are block capped, the eternal is better for relevant amounts of armour. If HS is up, there is literally no amount of armour that would make it worse.
econ21

Postby Era » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:29 am

econ21 wrote:Theck has crunched the numbers:

viewtopic.php?p=635167#p635167

It looks like no, once you are block capped, the eternal is better for relevant amounts of armour. If HS is up, there is literally no amount of armour that would make it worse.

Ah, so that's why I didn't find it with search - the post doesn't actually name neither Austere nor Eternal! ^^ Thanks! :wink:
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby gronc2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:39 am

Don't know if this is "legal" hope so

But just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this whole site. I have learned so much. Last night had my first Normal Madness kill. Which might not seem like much but this is my first toon, on my first mmo ever, and it feel like an accomplishment. So thanks again.

gronc
gronc2

Postby Cema » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:25 pm

No really prot related

I'm currently trying to find a way (for my ret spec) to have 5 stacks of Apparatus of Khaz'goroth at the beginning of a fight to use it with my first Avenging wrath / zealotry / prepot / Goak

Main problem is : the buff lasts 30 seconds ... so I have to crit something less than 30 seconds before the pull
Cema

Postby Katzie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:26 am

Hello again! Thanks to the awesome info by Fenrir I've been able to itemize my gear better.

I would like to ask you all again to critique my gear and gemming selections. If you can point out any mistakes or think you can improve my stamina a bit (I am most likely going the stamina route, since as of now I just pug groups and am not in a core group, unless there is a significant advantage over avoidance or DPS that stacking stam isn't the way to go). Also, would like to know what to gem my red sockets with? Should I go 25 exp + 25 mastery, 25 parry + 25 mastery, or 25 parry and 37 stam? Thanks!!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/y ... t/advanced

Also, I went Windwalk, because I've read many things on Windwalk vs Landslide vs Weapon Chain, and to me, with my Parry being 1% over Dodge when fully buffed, Windwalk doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Katzie

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice