Remove Advertisements

LOL @ Pally tank

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

LOL @ Pally tank

Postby Comandant » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:27 am

I've only recently started playing a pally as a main. (Lore on Eredar has been helping me a lot on gear info and tanking info) There's been a really big learning curve for me here. I've got a solid basis of playing experience in all tanking classes as I had a 60 warrior prior to BC (left at lvl 62 on a pve server), a 70 feral tanking druid up to level 70 on a PvE server prior to moving to Eredar to play with RL friends.

I'm learning a lot about our strengths and weaknesses as a tanking class, but have been catching hints of skepticism for actually being a Tankadin in the 25 man raids. Among the MT's in our guild which are primarily warriors, there is a lot of skepticism about pally tanks being anything other than an AOE utility in certain situations (Merlocs during Tidewalker for example).

I gotta say, they've been bringing me into SSC and TK to tank trash and things and at present I'm substantially undergeared. I tell them, I dont want to lose dkp, so keep me on standby and pull me in as a LAST resort, but allow me to work on my gear in heroics/kara most nights so that I have the potential to do a better job for them. I think they generally pull me in with them to try to see what I can do, and because i've raided in there a lot on my previous main with them so i'm not a "noob" in the sense of not knowing the fights or someone who will do stupid shit and fuck up the raid. But since i'm quite squishy for being in there, its much more difficult for the healers to keep me up = substantiation of the other tanks skepticism of me.

As much as the utility aoe tanking is the role I'm willing to fill for the majority of raids to make some things easier, I guess I have a case of tank envy and would simply like them to respect me as a tanking class...period. Until I tank at least one major encounter or find a way that I can 'prove' that as a class and a player I am capable, I doubt I'll get that.

I don't want to replace them as our guild's MT's, I want them to not laugh at the fact that I'm a Tankadin and to know that (hopefully) i'm just as capable of tanking most encounters as they are. I think its better that we understand and respect our differences instead of thinking one class is hands-down better than another which is the case right now.

Any input or thoughts for me on this case of 'envy'? How else can I approach their skepticism?
Last edited by Comandant on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terroar - 70 Warlock
Zeiben - 70 Druid
Marmidon - 64 Warrior

Ducimus
Comandant

Postby mazater » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:38 am

Point them out Lore, or some other uber paladin who has cleared all end-game content as a maintank.
mazater

Postby Lore » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:41 am

Considering you're on the same server, it shouldn't be super hard >.>

(PS: lol SACK)
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Mortehl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:43 am

Lore wrote:Considering you're on the same server, it shouldn't be super hard >.>

OT: How's Ret treating you right now?

I'm up to 31% Crit / 2100 self buffed AP with 250 Resilience =)
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Gerilith » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:44 am

I experienced that myself the moment I stated that I, who attended about every raid for over a year in that guild, will spec prot since pallyhealing got fucked up by blizzard.

In the beginning I had problems and was unhealable in some cases, but my gear developed and I even tanked Illidan himself on our third kill.

All you can do is looking straight forward to the point your gear becomes adequate and you will be able to show them what a tankadin is able to do.

PS: As said, my situation is/was quite equal. Just make it through this time and earn some respect whenever it is time for it.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Lore » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:52 am

Mortehl wrote:
Lore wrote:Considering you're on the same server, it shouldn't be super hard >.>

OT: How's Ret treating you right now?

I'm up to 31% Crit / 2100 self buffed AP with 250 Resilience =)

I have no idea what my stats are at atm, I haven't been ret in a week or two.

DKPsigs is just sucking.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Samuelus » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:21 pm

I would make the point of telling them " tanking ahead of my gear progression is both foolish and unfair to be judged at"

Ive done this in the past with a guild that wanted a pally tank for the murloc adds on ssc... I was in prekara gear barely hitting uncrush/uncrit.
they heard me and then canceled kara runs so there was no way I could progress with them or catch up to ssc.. needless to say I left quickly even though they where very well progressed I wanted to learn the raids in the proper order and gear up evenly.

now im in a happy home:D
Samuelus

Return to Karazhan