Remove Advertisements

DC Universe Online - Anyone?

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

DC Universe Online - Anyone?

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 am

Is there anyone out there who can tell me about this? It's apparently free to play completely now, you just have to buy expansions, and what not. I'm just curious what people could tell me about it. I'm not expecting hugely in depth play since its also available for the PS3, but figured it was at least worth the free download to check it out.
Shoju

Re: DC Universe Online - Anyone?

Postby bldavis » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:23 am

(note it has been a few months since i last played so things may have changed)
its pretty fun
you can pick if you want to be a super hero or a villan, and you pick your mentor
(LEx Luther, Circe or Joker for villans and Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman for heroes)

combat is like WoW's for the most part
the main difference is you can pick up items and swing them at mobs, or throw them

variety of swift movement modes (flight, superspeed or acrobatics - think parkour)

you have a variety of different focuses as well
martial arts - using weapons and MA to beat the crap out of your enemies (kinda like electra)
powers/magic - mutations/alien powers a la superman
gadets - need i say more - batman/joker

all in all a fun game, completely free to play
it was just laggy on my POS computer, which is why i quit playing
(i get ~20 fps on low settings while raiding)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:16 am

Really? That's unfortunate :( I hope I don't lag that bad.
Shoju

Postby Torquemada » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:02 pm

I would strongly recommend a flying character. You get two specs, but have to pick one specialty of like six: Fire, Ice, Mind Control, Gadgets, Nature, and Magic. Fire and ice are the two tanking possible specs, but you can still make a dps talent build.

I strongly recommend flying, as you can avoid a lot of trash in the open world. And fast running makes me dizzy when you're on the ceilings at times.

I bought it when it first came out at the recommendation of Total Biscuit when it first came out, and kind of liked it, but I was planning to quit right around the time Sony got hacked. As a result, I had to wait a month to cancel my account, which I did even after they gave us over a free month of playtime. It's very repetitive and I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I might. Plus there were never people around for group quests, though it might be better now that it's free.
A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government. – Thomas Jefferson
Torquemada

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:50 am

I played through it for a bit last night. The intro villain quest is cool. I went Ice Flying (before I even read your post :) ) and it seems cool, but Holy lag fest batman.

Once I got into metropolis there were tons of people, and the game was playable, but certainly laggy, and I hate the controls.
Shoju

Postby Torquemada » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:49 pm

Shoju wrote:I played through it for a bit last night. The intro villain quest is cool. I went Ice Flying (before I even read your post :) ) and it seems cool, but Holy lag fest batman.

Once I got into metropolis there were tons of people, and the game was playable, but certainly laggy, and I hate the controls.

Yeah, and because it's designed to run on PC or Playstation, it's got ZERO customization options.
A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government. – Thomas Jefferson
Torquemada

Return to Other Games