Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby lythac » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:46 am

Gab wrote:Link: http://chardev.org/?profile=369262

First time linking a Chardev profile hope that works.

Link works fine. Is the reduce spell damage Meta gem intentional?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Renamedcake » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:37 am

Allright, Thx alot for all the help! i've changed some stuff around as the site suggested, not getting as much stamina as it says, but its probaby coz you put in 4x 101 stam sockets. Thx for all the help, got one more quick question tho, I got the beth hc trinket, isnt that better then fire of the deep?

Regards // Renamedcake
sorry for all grammatic and spelling misstakes, from sweden.
Renamedcake

Postby Gab » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:31 am

lythac wrote:Link works fine. Is the reduce spell damage Meta gem intentional?

Thanks for confirming that for me Lythac. I left the Meta alone, I had assumed that Renamed was maybe progressing on Zon or Yor and wanted the spell dmg reduction.

Renamedcake wrote:I got the beth hc trinket, isnt that better then fire of the deep?

Obviously you get more static stats from FotD but the proc is better on the Beth trinket in most casses. I personally would be using the Beth trinket over FoD. I'm just not a fan of avoidance on use at these gear levels. You're getting a lot of DRed dodge and pushing a good amount of your block off the CT. It just seems wasteful to me compared to the alternatives.
Gab

Postby Bakey » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:45 am

Tankadins, tell me why this is a bad idea:

http://chardev.org/?profile=370281

After going all-out last night on Morchok with wings popped and not being able to pull threat over our DK tank, I want to try out getting closer to hit/exp cap and seeing how much better I can do. Is there a good reason to not do this? We're in 10N progression right now (5/8).
Bakey

Postby lythac » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:54 am

Very bad idea, you are not block capped in that gear set-up. You have the Veil of Lies buff and Windwalk selected, your CTC is only 95.46%

When you tried to take over from your co-tank did you have any vengeance at all? If your co-tank doesn't hold back sometimes there is nothing you can do to retain threat after a taunt.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Bakey » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:26 am

See, this is why it helps to have another set of eyes look, thanks.

I'm not sure she was holding back any, no. And it was close to the kill at the end so we were pushing hard. I'm pretty much to the point with my gear now that I'm starting to gem for stam, but I'm wondering if getting some more hit/exp wouldn't be more beneficial.
Bakey

Postby degre » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Until you are CTC capped you don't even think that stats such as hit and expertise exist, and even after for a while you'll be too busy shoving in stamina while keeping the cap to think about DPS stats.

Just tell the other tank after a taunt to go easy a bit, or chain taunt until you can keep it.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Wonton » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:19 pm

Hey, everyone, I've been on a break from WoW since August or so and am just getting back into it now.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... m/advanced

Right now I'm at item level 360, with mostly ZA/ZG and T11 gear. And what with raid finder and all, I'm actually gonna be raiding this time so I'm guessing I need to get my item level up quite a bit.

Any advice on the fastest way to go about things?
Gems... gems are truly outrageous.
Wonton

Postby gronc2 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:54 pm

Hour of Twilight random will give you gear from the dungeons and Valor points, and LFR will do the same. Do both, make sure you cap your Valor points every week.
gronc2

Postby gronc2 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:52 pm

so what do you guys think of the Jaws of Repudiation? I have the 384 tier hat, have no reason to believe I wont get an upgrade eventually, and just wonder if this VP helm is not much value for me. The only fight I see it helping me on is Ultraxion, and until I get to heroic I don't really think I need the extra x This is actually the last think I can purchase with my VP's so I was thinking of moving on to my OS with my VP. Thoughts? I won't play my offspec lots, but don't feel like wasting these hard earned VP's on a piece that is not really helpful and will be discarded soon

gronc
gronc2

Postby Reviaull » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Hey, I've been on break for quite a few months before the new Heroics came out. I was just wondering as is am I able to tank and not be a mana sink with my gear?

Armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... ull/simple

Thanks a ton. I'm just worried that my health is a bit low.
Reviaull

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:26 am

Reviaull wrote:Hey, I've been on break for quite a few months before the new Heroics came out. I was just wondering as is am I able to tank and not be a mana sink with my gear?

Armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... ull/simple

Thanks a ton. I'm just worried that my health is a bit low.

really sorry it took me so long to reply.

you do have adequate ilvl to get into the new heroics and they are not hard and there are sone quest rewards that will bump your ilvl quite nicely

two things
a) get the tb mastery trinket if possible, it is still a really good trinket to have
b) your priority for vp purchases are cloak, relic, neck and ring there are no upgrades in that slot in ds, whether normal or lfr. you do get a ring from lfr/normal ds, but you do have two ring slots

i would like to check your stuff better but i am currently unavailable to do so as i am using my phone to check the internet, just opening your armory was a pain in the ass
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:46 am

In regards to rings, I would argue that the Curled Twilight Claw is better than the Signet of the Resolute VP ring. Before DR on avoidance, the VP ring is 1.89% CtC, while the Curled Twilight Claw is 2.475% CtC before possibly reforging the hit - assuming full CtC in DS gear, neither ring gains a socket bonus from gemming stamina, and the 10 parry rating bonus from a mastery gem in the VP ring is far from enough to make up for the additional CtC from the claw.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:49 am

Nooska wrote:In regards to rings, I would argue that the Curled Twilight Claw is better than the Signet of the Resolute VP ring. Before DR on avoidance, the VP ring is 1.89% CtC, while the Curled Twilight Claw is 2.475% CtC before possibly reforging the hit - assuming full CtC in DS gear, neither ring gains a socket bonus from gemming stamina, and the 10 parry rating bonus from a mastery gem in the VP ring is far from enough to make up for the additional CtC from the claw.

fair point, which is why i listed the ring last.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby econ21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:33 am

Reviaull wrote:I was just wondering as is am I able to tank and not be a mana sink with my gear?

You comfortably meet the ilevel requirements for the new Heroics and given you can tank the Zuls, you should have no problems with them - they are much easier in terms of mechanics, IMO. I would not worry about being a mana sink - that was a T11 era issue; nowadays, healers don't seem to have mana problems in 5 mans. Your health may low for raiding, but it should be fine for 5 mans.

Your immediate goal should be hitting the ilevel requirements for LFR. One thing to consider is going in as dps. It is much less stressful and to a large extent what you want to get out of LFR, VPs and tier items, you can get by going as dps as easily as by going as tank. When you feel suitably geared up, you may run as tank.

Your intermediate goal will be getting into proper DS raids and that will depend largely on your guild or your server PUGs. Getting to around ilevel 378 objectively should be good enough to tank normal raids.
econ21

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice