Warchief Kargath Bladefist

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby gworroll » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:59 am

Pally healer, Elemental shaman, MS warrior and mage and we couldn't do it. It got to the point where the healer was having to spam holy light to keep me up against bladefist and the adds, and they were landing between add spawn and them reaching Consecrate... which was more threat than my consecrate could nail them with. We tried killing adds, while that kept them off the healer we didnt' have enough DPS on bladefist. This was a really well geared group of good players and we stood no chance at all.

Resto shaman, two locks, mage, and we WTFPWNED bladefist. We were all standing there "wtf just happened... he's dead already? huh?"... Same mage with miniscule upgrades, me with no upgrades, resto shaman was the elemental shaman from the previous attempt. One of the locks was still using a couple HFP quest rewards, and not even the handful of really good ones. Definitely had worse gear overall this time, and player quality really wasn't any higher.

I have no idea what made this much of a difference, other than speculation that there may have been just enough lag to be problematic without being obvious the first time around.
gworroll

Postby Invisusira » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:06 am

Stand at the top of the stairs you run up to pull him.

Group goes to all 4 corners.

Concecrate holds all the ads, they despawn after he dies.

Winar.
Invisusira

Postby Exodius » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:04 am

I tried this fight with a holy priest healing. He has +1800 healing, which is a very good amount.

The only problem is, in this gear, he only has about 6k health. Buffed.

He would die every single time the boss did his dance of death if he was not BoPed. And then he would just die the second time.

We ended up killing him by getting some truly monster dpsers in - T5-6 warlock and T5 hunter with T4 rogue. Even then it was hard.

Ever since I started using Itemrack, I've seen the value of multiple sets for different needs. As you all know, there are threat sets, mitigation sets, soloing sets, block sets, resist sets, healing sets, pvp sets, the list goes on.

But since coming back to my holy priest I have found the value of multiple sets for him, too.

There is the standard dps set and the optomised healing gear set. Also a PvP set as well maximising resilence. All these are non-brainers.

But I've gone over him and his gear at the bank and built up both a stamina healing set and a mana regen set. He can now either times his mp5 by 1.5x or increase his health by 1.3k, all for losing about +300 healing. That makes him about +1200 healing, but for fights where you need stamina like this fight or mana like the demon boss of Ramparts, it really, really helps.

The priest I mentioned at the start is working on a stamina set too now. PvP rewards tend to be great places to find such. Yeah, they lack mana regen and tend to be crappy for +healing in comparison to raid stuff, but the stamina on those things can really make or break a fight like this. :D
Exodius

Postby Katatonia » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:49 am

Exodius wrote:I tried this fight with a holy priest healing. He has +1800 healing, which is a very good amount.

The only problem is, in this gear, he only has about 6k health. Buffed.

Is this part greens or something? Not that there's anything really wrong with physician gear when you're starting out, but hierophant could hurt the hp pool for sure. The main reason I ask is because a friend of mine who uses primal mooncloth + whitemend, S1 mace, and a bunch of other pre-Kara blues has a little over 6k unbuffed with 1800-ish healing. He's been to Kara, but has yet to get anything to drop, and hasn't spent any of his badges. 6k fully buffed just seems bizarre to me.

At any rate, I definitely agree with the different sets thing, even for cloth wearers. 1800 healing is excessive for a heroic and if he can get a 1000-1500 hp boost for the cost of dropping to 1500 healing, he'll definitely benefit from it.

As for people getting splattered by Kargath's Blade Dance, [improved] PW:S works wonders for saving cloth. Priest should cast it on self 5-6 seconds before the timer is up, then cast it on the next weakest person when the cooldown finishes. It's still rare I finish a Kargath fight without having to LoH someone, but as long as people are using the 4 corners like Invisusira mentioned they should all live through it.
Katatonia

Postby inthedrops » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:16 am

The problems on this fight are pretty simple. Here are some things you can do to improve your odds if you're struggling.

1. People need to wear enough stamina gear to survive one hit. That's usually an issue for mages and priests. Check their health before you pull and ask them to swap gear around if they have to. Ask them to try for 8k buffed.
2. Everyone needs to have HS's/HP's bandages, and use them rather than be cheap.
3. Assign corners to the DPS. If there is melee DPS give a close corner to run to. Stay spread out the whole fight as best as possible.
4. The healer needs to know ahead of time who the squishiest person is and as soon as he starts dancing the healer should be casting his slow cast biggest heal. The squishy guy will get hit once, then your heal will land, then he might get hit again, but he shoudlnt get hit any more for that round unless people aren't spread out.
5. Make sure the raid knows that "most squishy guy" is getting healed first and that if "most squishy guy" isn't full up on health and they are low on health to eat a pot.
6. Ask the dps to bandage about 5 seconds after he quits dancing if they are still low on health.
7. Watch for hunter strings on the healers and decurse them.

I should mention that I've both tanked it and healed it on heroic and while challenging as a paladin healer, doing these things above has worked for me (took a few tries to figure this stuff out)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:10 pm

Put Blessing of Kings on everyone also.
Kihra

Postby kon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:43 pm

on normal i use to have every1 stand on 2nd step and tank in the circle, this prevents the other players getting hit by kargath when he charges, does this strat still work for heroic?
kon

Postby Katatonia » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:50 am

kon wrote:on normal i use to have every1 stand on 2nd step and tank in the circle, this prevents the other players getting hit by kargath when he charges, does this strat still work for heroic?

Last (and only) time I tried that on heroic he killed the entire group standing there on the first blade dance.
Katatonia

Postby Exodius » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:20 am

kon wrote:on normal i use to have every1 stand on 2nd step and tank in the circle, this prevents the other players getting hit by kargath when he charges, does this strat still work for heroic?

As I understand it they fixed that issue a few patches ago. He doesn't mind going on the stairs now if it will kill people. :(

I do suspect as well that the closer you are to each other the more hits you take. Next time I'll suggest the 4 corner thing as posted above. :)
Exodius

Postby kon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:42 pm

ah didnt realise it was regarded as a bug, the stair strat trivialized the fight to just tank n spank, back to the drawing board :roll:
kon

Postby Ezharon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:49 pm

Katatonia wrote:

Last (and only) time I tried that on heroic he killed the entire group standing there on the first blade dance.

In heroic after his dance he gains a charge ability that he doesn't have in normal.

Did a run this morning and we 1-shot him (and the whole instance too) and got to Alina before she was executed too. I tank him and his adds on the stairs. Party was chaman healer, hunt, rogue and druid (and of course me tanking). Not having clothies help a lot and a chaman healer too to heal the party.
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby Exodius » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:40 am

Ezharon wrote:Not having clothes help a lot and a chaman healer too to heal the party.

I misread the correct statement as this while first reading the reply. Now back to on topic. :shock:
Exodius

Postby Zahir » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:15 pm

did this with a hunter, mage, elemental shaman, druid healer, and me.

Basically the mage got 2 shot and didn't iceblock, but we pretty much burned him down before he was a problem. I think he only got 2-3 whirlwind things off.

I just told everyone to wear some PvP gear to increase there HP pools, cause they could get 2 shotted.
Zahir

Postby Lalecize » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:50 pm

I usually tank him at the top of the stairs and take the ads also.

I dont assign corners, I make everyone spread out at max range from me (near the back 2 corners).

One thing to note is to stand still when he does his blade dance. I usually swap to swinging at the ads when he does it, this means he will dance off at someone then come all the way back to you inbetween each person. This gives a few seconds for heals, and you waste some of his blade dance time with him in transit inbetween you and the group.

BoP the weakest member also if its not cooling down. A priest can bubble themselves, a mage can iceblock etc etc.
Lalecize

Postby Naima » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:13 pm

whenever I tank this, any mail/plate DPS always survives the stupid whirlwind (as I assume it's mitigated by armor), and clothies ALWAYS die (rogues sometimes).

if you just pat them on the back and say 'I love your spelldamage, but put on stam gear' they should survive if everyone is significantly spread out to prevent too many pings on multiple people. It's hard to heal even for good group healers. It depends almost entirely on if your DPS can survive then let the healer pick up the pieces after. (in my experience)
Naima

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics