Remove Advertisements

Losing Free Speech?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Losing Free Speech?

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:49 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-morKF3 ... e=youtu.be

Ok, so it's Fox News reporting it, but that doesn't make this law any less questionable...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Re: Losing Free Speech?

Postby poptart » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:27 am

"...and the water is turned up another half degree. The frog in the pots says that he can handle it."

I agree 100% in that this is another slow, creeping lose of our freedom of expression. This will absolutely be used by our political class to silence those that they do not want to hear from at times that are convinent to them.

Honestly, without having read the text of the law, is there any limit to what the federal government can not declare as "speech free zones?" Is there a provision where they can just declare an entire city, state or the entire nation as a speech free zone?

While it is sometimes a bit over the top, I ocassionally fear that 2012 will be the last election in the U.S. if Obama is re-elected. Once his need to ever win an election is put aside, I shudder to think of the agenda he will now be ramming through with his host of Executive Orders.

Poptart
poptart

Postby sfrog » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:23 am

In all honesty, I am less concerned with Obama, then I am with a group of old(er), white men, who are determined to take away women's rights however they can, then they are with actually doing something to fix the economy, get us out of a war we cannot win, improve the quality of life of their consistent, or realize the eight years of free reign they had did little but put the country on the road to where it's at now.
Without Honor...there is no Hope.
sfrog

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:28 am

sfrog wrote:In all honesty, I am less concerned with Obama, then I am with a group of old(er), white men, who are determined to take away women's rights however they can, then they are with actually doing something to fix the economy, get us out of a war we cannot win, improve the quality of life of their consistent, or realize the eight years of free reign they had did little but put the country on the road to where it's at now.

Wow, stereotype much?

Honestly, I couldn't imagine a post better than this to illustrate the absurd level of brainwashing people are bombarded with.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:33 am

I think this new law sucks just as much as Santorum wanting Puerto Rico to give up Spanish before it can become a State, Limbaugh calling woman whores and whatever other vitriol he used, and then defended it by comparing himself to a rapper.

Both sides suck. American politics suck. The 24 hour news media that shoves it all down our throats suck. It's all biased crap.

I have high hopes that this law gets challenged, and the supreme court points at what this guy said (because even though he was on Faux News, he had some points that were valid) This is why this law is stupid.
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

Shoju wrote:because even though he was on Faux News, he had some points that were valid
Can we stop with that already? I mean there is next to no news source (particularly cable news) that is anything close to unbiased, Fox News just happens to favor republicans when the rest don't. I don't even get cable news channels anymore because they are all so freaking terrible, but it's annoying that only one of them is constantly singled out.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Jabari » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:47 am

No such thing as "unbiased". Best you can do is get your news from a variety of sources and use your own brain. The bigger problem is that there is very, very little actual journalism of any type anymore. "Mainstream media" is simply propaganda at this point.

For financial stuff, the best places to go are Zerohedge and the Market Ticker. Non-financial stuff simply doesn't matter at the moment unless you're in an actual war zone (or somewhere likely soon to be one).

(American) Politics is abysmal "red-team/blue-team" stuff at this point. The people are either too stupid, too brainwashed, or too clannish to understand that the bi-factional ruling party is just that, and they intentionally use (totally irrelevant) wedge issues as a distraction so they can keep looting the public treasury.

How are Obama, Romney, Santorium, or even McCain and Hillary any different from each other on IMPORTANT things like the national debt, prosecuting the fraud from the big banks, national security, the horrifying education system, the fact that the Federal Reserve is stealing 3/4ths of your money during your lifetime (through inflation), and most importantly - individual liberty?

(They're all exactly the same. They differ on the distractions of God, Guns, and Gays, and use that as a sideshow to keep eyes away form the continued theft.)

We are doomed. It's unfortunately going to take a full-on crash and reset to get people to wise up, and an awful lot of people are going to die in the process. I hope you're prepared.
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Melathys » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:22 am

The only thing I fear more than an Obama re-election, is Rick Santorum. Any other candidate, I could just say, "eh, I don't like anybody, I won't vote" but if Santorum gets the nomination, I will make it a point to vote for someone else. Rick Santorum scares me. He's on record saying that he doesn't believe the constitution gives a right to privacy....among other things. Like comparing homosexuality to terrorism.
Melathys

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:40 am

Melathys wrote:The only thing I fear more than an Obama re-election, is Rick Santorum. Any other candidate, I could just say, "eh, I don't like anybody, I won't vote" but if Santorum gets the nomination, I will make it a point to vote for someone else. Rick Santorum scares me. He's on record saying that he doesn't believe the constitution gives a right to privacy....among other things. Like comparing homosexuality to terrorism.

I stand by my prediction of 4 years ago that there's no way that Obama loses in 2012. That was even assuming the republican candidate would be halfway decent as far as republicans go, instead of the crap that the GOP has put forth.

You're right too, Santorum is scary.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Jabari » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:12 pm

You "Santorum is scary" types are all falling for the God Guns Gays crap.

How is "no right to privacy" any different than our current administration's bit with the NDAA (an actual law that, you know, completely wipes out any idea of "due process").

Besides, all of that stuff is part of the Legislative, not Executive, anyway. Or should be.

Recommendation: Don't vote. Withdraw your consent. I don't consent to be "ruled" by any of these people - they don't represent me. If everyone did that, the illusion would be gone.

(We really, really need a "None of the above" option formalized into the system...)
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Jabari » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:22 pm

Fridmarr wrote:I stand by my prediction of 4 years ago that there's no way that Obama loses in 2012. That was even assuming the republican candidate would be halfway decent as far as republicans go, instead of the crap that the GOP has put forth.

If the "Republicans" had any sense, they wouldn't WANT to win this election and they'd put up all their crap candidates to get them out of the way. There's gonna be a financial armageddon sometime in the next few years and they should want no part of that.

Aside: I heard that Obama was looking for a different VP candidate this time. I have the perfect one for him: Mitt Romney!

http://www.obamaromney.org/

(Not mine, but it's funny)

Aside #2: The only way Fridmarr is going to be wrong is if gas hits $5 before the election. If that happens, all bets are off. (Prediction: In that case, I give it a 50/50 shot the election will be cancelled for "national security reasons"...)
Jabari

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:27 pm

It's a rather silly to claim that I've "fallen" for something without even bothering to find out what about him concerns me.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Is there anything in the NDAA about which human rights groups and civil libertarians ought to be pleased?
Yes, actually, there is. Section 1024 of the bill, as we’ve noted, requires that people subject to long-term military detention in circumstances not already subject to habeas corpus review–think the Detention Facility in Parwan, Afghanistan–henceforth shall have the right to a military lawyer and a proceeding before a military judge in order to contest the government’s factual basis for believing them to be subject to detention.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Jabari » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:05 pm

Fridmarr wrote:It's a rather silly to claim that I've "fallen" for something without even bothering to find out what about him concerns me.

Ok, fair enough. I assumed that since you said "you're right" that it was for the same reason. My bad on that. :oops:

If it's not the GGG stuff, then probably for the same reasons that I find him (along with all the rest) scary. :)
Jabari

Postby Melathys » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Jabari wrote:You "Santorum is scary" types are all falling for the God Guns Gays crap.

How is "no right to privacy" any different than our current administration's bit with the NDAA (an actual law that, you know, completely wipes out any idea of "due process").

Besides, all of that stuff is part of the Legislative, not Executive, anyway. Or should be.

Recommendation: Don't vote. Withdraw your consent. I don't consent to be "ruled" by any of these people - they don't represent me. If everyone did that, the illusion would be gone.

(We really, really need a "None of the above" option formalized into the system...)

No, its not the religious aspect that scares me about santorum, its santorum.

“This is an issue just like 9-11. We didn’t decide we wanted to fight the war on terrorism because we wanted to. It was brought to us. And if not now, when? When the supreme courts in all the other states have succumbed to the Massachusetts version of the law?”
~Rick Santorum

“What we should be teaching are the problems and holes and I think there are legitimate problems and holes in the theory of evolution. And what we need to do is to present those fairly from a scientific point of view. And we should lay out areas in which the evidence supports evolution and the areas in the evidence that does not.”
~Rick Santorum

I hadn't seen this one before...

"The right to privacy...doesn't exist in my opinion in the United States Constitution." –Rick Santorum

it goes on. Watching the debates is enough for me to realize that Santorum is crazy. Like the one where he states that politicians should vote against what they believe in so they can be team players...
Melathys

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum