Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Sabindeus, Aergis, lythac, Digren, majiben

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Worldie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Well you can always save it for a double stam trinket for madness ;)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Hrobertgar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:10 pm

The value of Soulshifter depends on what other Trinket options you have. Yes, for a CTC shield tank the proc is useless, but it still has a lot of Stamina.

I am at CTC with 1 Mastery trinket and the LFR Soulshifter is my top Stam trinket. My only other Stam trinket is the 365 Direbrew trinket. I have only seen the DS shared loot Stam trinket drop once, and that was this apst Tues on heroic Yor'sahj while I was healing, I've never seen it on my tank. I think I saw the Beth'Tilac trinket on my tank once, and the other tank won it, so I have never had a 378 Stam trinket. The Stam difference between the 365 Direbrew trinket and the 384 Soulshifter is significant, especially given that there are only a few fights in DS for which the Direbrew on use is truly valuable.

Again, The Soulshifter may not be ideal for a Pally tank that should be able to reach CTC without the proc, but its Stam level is still decent, and for many of us the trinket is substantially better than any alternative in our possession. Until I get more trinkets for my tank, I will use the best option available to me, which for most fights is Soulshifter's higher Stam level.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Renamedcake » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Hello!

I've been a long time reader of this forum, but i finally decided to make a account and acually post something.

I was wondering if anyone got any suggestions about my character's gear / gemming / enchanting.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/g ... ake/simple

I got scales of life hc, but i am using veil of lies atm since i figured the dodge on it overwrights my block, and since dodge removes 100% of the damage it would be better.
What do you think i should use for trinket setup? also got the dodge stacking one from spine normal.

Regards // Renamedcake

ps. reserve the rights for any gramatic errors of spelling misstakes (swedish).
Renamedcake

Postby Gab » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:34 pm

Renamedcake wrote:Hello!

I've been a long time reader of this forum, but i finally decided to make a account and acually post something.

I was wondering if anyone got any suggestions about my character's gear / gemming / enchanting.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/g ... ake/simple

I got scales of life hc, but i am using veil of lies atm since i figured the dodge on it overwrights my block, and since dodge removes 100% of the damage it would be better.
What do you think i should use for trinket setup? also got the dodge stacking one from spine normal.

Regards // Renamedcake

ps. reserve the rights for any gramatic errors of spelling misstakes (swedish).

Can't check the armory link at work, however as far as trinkets are concerned both Veil and Resolve are pretty weak and even more so for Paladins than other tanks. Both make Paladins effectively waste mastery as they push our block off the combat table when CTC capped. Also because you cannot control the Veil proc it becomes even weaker. Scales, imo, are far superior to either of the other two in almost every circumstance.

EDIT: Link to thread discussing Resolve.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32348
Gab

Postby Renamedcake » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:40 pm

both Veil and Resolve are pretty weak

But what if you simpley make it so that you are only ctc capped with fully resolve stacks, since they dont fall off during combat (as long as you hit something) i figure that thats got to be a viable option, that way i dont waste any mastery. its hard to do for something like veil since its proc based.
I dont want to use scales since its use is so horrible.

Regards
Renamedcake

Postby Gab » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Renamedcake wrote:
both Veil and Resolve are pretty weak

But what if you simpley make it so that you are only ctc capped with fully resolve stacks, since they dont fall off during combat (as long as you hit something) i figure that thats got to be a viable option, that way i dont waste any mastery. its hard to do for something like veil since its proc based.

You could balance CTC around the Resolve but there is the chance that you aren't going to be fully stacked when you need to be. Not to mention that dodge DRs pretty hard at T13 gear levels.

Mastery is much more effective for CTC capping and those freed up slots/stats could be converted to more stamina or dps stats which in general are going to be more helpful than some dodge.

Essentially a health pot that you can use multiple times in a fight isn't so horrible.

EDIT: Logged in Ret PVP gear so no comments about gearing, spec looks good though.
Last edited by Gab on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gab

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Renamedcake wrote:

Don't underestimate the value of the heal from Scales of Life. Use it right before you do a 3 Holy Power WoG on yourself and you increase your chance at an absorb shield to absorb some unavoidable damage.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby gronc2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:11 am

sorry to keep bugging you all but, just got new gear last night. This gives me my 4 slot tier bonus (which means I bank my BS legs until I get the hat) I am now at ctc with my elixir, am gemming to max stamina as I keep ctc. I have the mirror now, when I slap in the vp trinket I go over the cap but its useful now to use the xtra dodge on certain melee heavy fights. I don't have scales, only the normal spindel, nor do I have the stay of execution.

My biggest concern is this makes my dodge and parry pretty far apart. I have been keeping them almost equal, but man these new pieces are all parry. Should this bother me? If I don't get the hat soon the vp hat makes it even worse.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/e ... c/advanced

any advice on anything, talents, glyphs, whatever is appreciated I love this place

gronc
gronc2

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:35 pm

gronc2 wrote:My biggest concern is this makes my dodge and parry pretty far apart. I have been keeping them almost equal, but man these new pieces are all parry. Should this bother me? If I don't get the hat soon the vp hat makes it even worse.

Don't worry about it. Just get them as close as you can through reforging and forget about it. Even if the end result is hundreds of rating points difference we're only talking about, worst case scenario, maybe .25% avoidance (no math just a guess from my reforging experiences in chardev). And as long as you are trying to balance them there is nothing else you can do. If there's an upgrade that pushes them even further apart it's still going to be an upgrade.
Gab

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Assuming full Raid buffs, mastery food, mastery elixir and 150 stam scroll, which nets an extra 25 rating points vs Steelskin flask, you are sitting at 107.2% CTC. Which is 4.8% over the 102.4% number that Paladins should be aiming for. Even if you go with Steelskin and dodge food from the feast you are looking at 103.4.

Changing your bracer enchant to 40 stamina and changing the gems in your chest and legs to pure stam offer the best stamina ratio. Which can be seen in Theck's maths in the link below.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32711

You may want to reconsider the Purple gem that you're using in your ring to hit a +10 strength bonus. There are much more effective ways to gear for dps (threat) than reaching for a +10 strength bonus with a Parry/Stam gem.

Your reforging or lack thereof on some pieces is not optimal: Shoulders, chest, wrists, relic and gloves. You should be aiming at maximizing mastery not balancing dodge and parry for example your shoulders are reforged 74 parry to mastery when they could be reforged 163 dodge to mastery. Even though this might result in an imbalance between dodge and parry you are still freeing up more stats that can be converted to either more stam or more dps.

I imported your profile to Chardev.org (I highly recommend using this site for optimizing gemming and reforging). With a little tweaking I came up with these numbers. I'm sure you could mess with it a bit more and get better results but this was just a quick once over. Again this is assuming buffs, mastery food and elixir/scroll combination for both before and after changes.

+4550 Health (+325 stamina)
+4.92% Hit
+9 Expertise

-4.34% Avoidance
-4.62% CTC

Link: http://chardev.org/?profile=369262

First time linking a Chardev profile hope that works.

This puts you at 102.46% CTC. Alternatively you could forgo the soft expertise cap and addition to hit chance in favor of more stamina by swapping out your Fire of the Deeps with Veil of Lies but that would take a little tweaking and I personally prefer the extra dps with the 10% Dragon Soul nerf. But that's really up to you and your group and where your strengths and shortcomings are.

Sorry for the wall of text.
Gab

Postby lythac » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:46 am

Gab wrote:Link: http://chardev.org/?profile=369262

First time linking a Chardev profile hope that works.

Link works fine. Is the reduce spell damage Meta gem intentional?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Ravencrest-EU
lythac

Postby Renamedcake » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:37 am

Allright, Thx alot for all the help! i've changed some stuff around as the site suggested, not getting as much stamina as it says, but its probaby coz you put in 4x 101 stam sockets. Thx for all the help, got one more quick question tho, I got the beth hc trinket, isnt that better then fire of the deep?

Regards // Renamedcake
sorry for all grammatic and spelling misstakes, from sweden.
Renamedcake

Postby Gab » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:31 am

lythac wrote:Link works fine. Is the reduce spell damage Meta gem intentional?

Thanks for confirming that for me Lythac. I left the Meta alone, I had assumed that Renamed was maybe progressing on Zon or Yor and wanted the spell dmg reduction.

Renamedcake wrote:I got the beth hc trinket, isnt that better then fire of the deep?

Obviously you get more static stats from FotD but the proc is better on the Beth trinket in most casses. I personally would be using the Beth trinket over FoD. I'm just not a fan of avoidance on use at these gear levels. You're getting a lot of DRed dodge and pushing a good amount of your block off the CT. It just seems wasteful to me compared to the alternatives.
Gab

Postby Bakey » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:45 am

Tankadins, tell me why this is a bad idea:

http://chardev.org/?profile=370281

After going all-out last night on Morchok with wings popped and not being able to pull threat over our DK tank, I want to try out getting closer to hit/exp cap and seeing how much better I can do. Is there a good reason to not do this? We're in 10N progression right now (5/8).
Bakey

Postby lythac » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:54 am

Very bad idea, you are not block capped in that gear set-up. You have the Veil of Lies buff and Windwalk selected, your CTC is only 95.46%

When you tried to take over from your co-tank did you have any vengeance at all? If your co-tank doesn't hold back sometimes there is nothing you can do to retain threat after a taunt.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Ravencrest-EU
lythac

Postby Bakey » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:26 am

See, this is why it helps to have another set of eyes look, thanks.

I'm not sure she was holding back any, no. And it was close to the kill at the end so we were pushing hard. I'm pretty much to the point with my gear now that I'm starting to gem for stam, but I'm wondering if getting some more hit/exp wouldn't be more beneficial.
Bakey

Postby degre » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Until you are CTC capped you don't even think that stats such as hit and expertise exist, and even after for a while you'll be too busy shoving in stamina while keeping the cap to think about DPS stats.

Just tell the other tank after a taunt to go easy a bit, or chain taunt until you can keep it.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby Wonton » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:19 pm

Hey, everyone, I've been on a break from WoW since August or so and am just getting back into it now.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... m/advanced

Right now I'm at item level 360, with mostly ZA/ZG and T11 gear. And what with raid finder and all, I'm actually gonna be raiding this time so I'm guessing I need to get my item level up quite a bit.

Any advice on the fastest way to go about things?
Wonton

Postby gronc2 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:54 pm

Hour of Twilight random will give you gear from the dungeons and Valor points, and LFR will do the same. Do both, make sure you cap your Valor points every week.
gronc2

Postby gronc2 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:52 pm

so what do you guys think of the Jaws of Repudiation? I have the 384 tier hat, have no reason to believe I wont get an upgrade eventually, and just wonder if this VP helm is not much value for me. The only fight I see it helping me on is Ultraxion, and until I get to heroic I don't really think I need the extra x This is actually the last think I can purchase with my VP's so I was thinking of moving on to my OS with my VP. Thoughts? I won't play my offspec lots, but don't feel like wasting these hard earned VP's on a piece that is not really helpful and will be discarded soon

gronc
gronc2

Postby Reviaull » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Hey, I've been on break for quite a few months before the new Heroics came out. I was just wondering as is am I able to tank and not be a mana sink with my gear?

Armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... ull/simple

Thanks a ton. I'm just worried that my health is a bit low.
Reviaull

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:26 am

Reviaull wrote:Hey, I've been on break for quite a few months before the new Heroics came out. I was just wondering as is am I able to tank and not be a mana sink with my gear?

Armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... ull/simple

Thanks a ton. I'm just worried that my health is a bit low.

really sorry it took me so long to reply.

you do have adequate ilvl to get into the new heroics and they are not hard and there are sone quest rewards that will bump your ilvl quite nicely

two things
a) get the tb mastery trinket if possible, it is still a really good trinket to have
b) your priority for vp purchases are cloak, relic, neck and ring there are no upgrades in that slot in ds, whether normal or lfr. you do get a ring from lfr/normal ds, but you do have two ring slots

i would like to check your stuff better but i am currently unavailable to do so as i am using my phone to check the internet, just opening your armory was a pain in the ass
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:46 am

In regards to rings, I would argue that the Curled Twilight Claw is better than the Signet of the Resolute VP ring. Before DR on avoidance, the VP ring is 1.89% CtC, while the Curled Twilight Claw is 2.475% CtC before possibly reforging the hit - assuming full CtC in DS gear, neither ring gains a socket bonus from gemming stamina, and the 10 parry rating bonus from a mastery gem in the VP ring is far from enough to make up for the additional CtC from the claw.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:49 am

Nooska wrote:In regards to rings, I would argue that the Curled Twilight Claw is better than the Signet of the Resolute VP ring. Before DR on avoidance, the VP ring is 1.89% CtC, while the Curled Twilight Claw is 2.475% CtC before possibly reforging the hit - assuming full CtC in DS gear, neither ring gains a socket bonus from gemming stamina, and the 10 parry rating bonus from a mastery gem in the VP ring is far from enough to make up for the additional CtC from the claw.

fair point, which is why i listed the ring last.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby econ21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:33 am

Reviaull wrote:I was just wondering as is am I able to tank and not be a mana sink with my gear?

You comfortably meet the ilevel requirements for the new Heroics and given you can tank the Zuls, you should have no problems with them - they are much easier in terms of mechanics, IMO. I would not worry about being a mana sink - that was a T11 era issue; nowadays, healers don't seem to have mana problems in 5 mans. Your health may low for raiding, but it should be fine for 5 mans.

Your immediate goal should be hitting the ilevel requirements for LFR. One thing to consider is going in as dps. It is much less stressful and to a large extent what you want to get out of LFR, VPs and tier items, you can get by going as dps as easily as by going as tank. When you feel suitably geared up, you may run as tank.

Your intermediate goal will be getting into proper DS raids and that will depend largely on your guild or your server PUGs. Getting to around ilevel 378 objectively should be good enough to tank normal raids.
econ21

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice