Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Worldie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:38 am

Just bare in mind for a paladin, the proc of Soulshifter Vortex is useless, so you are really using only half trinket there.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby gronc2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:54 am

you may want to consider mirror of broken images for fights where resistance is at a premium.

gronc
gronc2

Postby Bakey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Worldie wrote:Just bare in mind for a paladin, the proc of Soulshifter Vortex is useless, so you are really using only half trinket there.

This is because I'm already at CTC cap and the extra mastery proc is useless?
Bakey

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Bakey wrote:
Worldie wrote:Just bare in mind for a paladin, the proc of Soulshifter Vortex is useless, so you are really using only half trinket there.

This is because I'm already at CTC cap and the extra mastery proc is useless?

Yes.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Bakey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Damn, wish I'd passed the trinket to our Blood DK now...
Bakey

Postby Worldie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Well you can always save it for a double stam trinket for madness ;)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Hrobertgar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:10 pm

The value of Soulshifter depends on what other Trinket options you have. Yes, for a CTC shield tank the proc is useless, but it still has a lot of Stamina.

I am at CTC with 1 Mastery trinket and the LFR Soulshifter is my top Stam trinket. My only other Stam trinket is the 365 Direbrew trinket. I have only seen the DS shared loot Stam trinket drop once, and that was this apst Tues on heroic Yor'sahj while I was healing, I've never seen it on my tank. I think I saw the Beth'Tilac trinket on my tank once, and the other tank won it, so I have never had a 378 Stam trinket. The Stam difference between the 365 Direbrew trinket and the 384 Soulshifter is significant, especially given that there are only a few fights in DS for which the Direbrew on use is truly valuable.

Again, The Soulshifter may not be ideal for a Pally tank that should be able to reach CTC without the proc, but its Stam level is still decent, and for many of us the trinket is substantially better than any alternative in our possession. Until I get more trinkets for my tank, I will use the best option available to me, which for most fights is Soulshifter's higher Stam level.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Renamedcake » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Hello!

I've been a long time reader of this forum, but i finally decided to make a account and acually post something.

I was wondering if anyone got any suggestions about my character's gear / gemming / enchanting.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/g ... ake/simple

I got scales of life hc, but i am using veil of lies atm since i figured the dodge on it overwrights my block, and since dodge removes 100% of the damage it would be better.
What do you think i should use for trinket setup? also got the dodge stacking one from spine normal.

Regards // Renamedcake

ps. reserve the rights for any gramatic errors of spelling misstakes (swedish).
Renamedcake

Postby Gab » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:34 pm

Renamedcake wrote:Hello!

I've been a long time reader of this forum, but i finally decided to make a account and acually post something.

I was wondering if anyone got any suggestions about my character's gear / gemming / enchanting.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/g ... ake/simple

I got scales of life hc, but i am using veil of lies atm since i figured the dodge on it overwrights my block, and since dodge removes 100% of the damage it would be better.
What do you think i should use for trinket setup? also got the dodge stacking one from spine normal.

Regards // Renamedcake

ps. reserve the rights for any gramatic errors of spelling misstakes (swedish).

Can't check the armory link at work, however as far as trinkets are concerned both Veil and Resolve are pretty weak and even more so for Paladins than other tanks. Both make Paladins effectively waste mastery as they push our block off the combat table when CTC capped. Also because you cannot control the Veil proc it becomes even weaker. Scales, imo, are far superior to either of the other two in almost every circumstance.

EDIT: Link to thread discussing Resolve.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32348
Gab

Postby Renamedcake » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:40 pm

both Veil and Resolve are pretty weak

But what if you simpley make it so that you are only ctc capped with fully resolve stacks, since they dont fall off during combat (as long as you hit something) i figure that thats got to be a viable option, that way i dont waste any mastery. its hard to do for something like veil since its proc based.
I dont want to use scales since its use is so horrible.

Regards
Renamedcake

Postby Gab » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Renamedcake wrote:
both Veil and Resolve are pretty weak

But what if you simpley make it so that you are only ctc capped with fully resolve stacks, since they dont fall off during combat (as long as you hit something) i figure that thats got to be a viable option, that way i dont waste any mastery. its hard to do for something like veil since its proc based.

You could balance CTC around the Resolve but there is the chance that you aren't going to be fully stacked when you need to be. Not to mention that dodge DRs pretty hard at T13 gear levels.

Mastery is much more effective for CTC capping and those freed up slots/stats could be converted to more stamina or dps stats which in general are going to be more helpful than some dodge.

Essentially a health pot that you can use multiple times in a fight isn't so horrible.

EDIT: Logged in Ret PVP gear so no comments about gearing, spec looks good though.
Last edited by Gab on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gab

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Renamedcake wrote:

Don't underestimate the value of the heal from Scales of Life. Use it right before you do a 3 Holy Power WoG on yourself and you increase your chance at an absorb shield to absorb some unavoidable damage.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby gronc2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:11 am

sorry to keep bugging you all but, just got new gear last night. This gives me my 4 slot tier bonus (which means I bank my BS legs until I get the hat) I am now at ctc with my elixir, am gemming to max stamina as I keep ctc. I have the mirror now, when I slap in the vp trinket I go over the cap but its useful now to use the xtra dodge on certain melee heavy fights. I don't have scales, only the normal spindel, nor do I have the stay of execution.

My biggest concern is this makes my dodge and parry pretty far apart. I have been keeping them almost equal, but man these new pieces are all parry. Should this bother me? If I don't get the hat soon the vp hat makes it even worse.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/e ... c/advanced

any advice on anything, talents, glyphs, whatever is appreciated I love this place

gronc
gronc2

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:35 pm

gronc2 wrote:My biggest concern is this makes my dodge and parry pretty far apart. I have been keeping them almost equal, but man these new pieces are all parry. Should this bother me? If I don't get the hat soon the vp hat makes it even worse.

Don't worry about it. Just get them as close as you can through reforging and forget about it. Even if the end result is hundreds of rating points difference we're only talking about, worst case scenario, maybe .25% avoidance (no math just a guess from my reforging experiences in chardev). And as long as you are trying to balance them there is nothing else you can do. If there's an upgrade that pushes them even further apart it's still going to be an upgrade.
Gab

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Assuming full Raid buffs, mastery food, mastery elixir and 150 stam scroll, which nets an extra 25 rating points vs Steelskin flask, you are sitting at 107.2% CTC. Which is 4.8% over the 102.4% number that Paladins should be aiming for. Even if you go with Steelskin and dodge food from the feast you are looking at 103.4.

Changing your bracer enchant to 40 stamina and changing the gems in your chest and legs to pure stam offer the best stamina ratio. Which can be seen in Theck's maths in the link below.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32711

You may want to reconsider the Purple gem that you're using in your ring to hit a +10 strength bonus. There are much more effective ways to gear for dps (threat) than reaching for a +10 strength bonus with a Parry/Stam gem.

Your reforging or lack thereof on some pieces is not optimal: Shoulders, chest, wrists, relic and gloves. You should be aiming at maximizing mastery not balancing dodge and parry for example your shoulders are reforged 74 parry to mastery when they could be reforged 163 dodge to mastery. Even though this might result in an imbalance between dodge and parry you are still freeing up more stats that can be converted to either more stam or more dps.

I imported your profile to Chardev.org (I highly recommend using this site for optimizing gemming and reforging). With a little tweaking I came up with these numbers. I'm sure you could mess with it a bit more and get better results but this was just a quick once over. Again this is assuming buffs, mastery food and elixir/scroll combination for both before and after changes.

+4550 Health (+325 stamina)
+4.92% Hit
+9 Expertise

-4.34% Avoidance
-4.62% CTC

Link: http://chardev.org/?profile=369262

First time linking a Chardev profile hope that works.

This puts you at 102.46% CTC. Alternatively you could forgo the soft expertise cap and addition to hit chance in favor of more stamina by swapping out your Fire of the Deeps with Veil of Lies but that would take a little tweaking and I personally prefer the extra dps with the 10% Dragon Soul nerf. But that's really up to you and your group and where your strengths and shortcomings are.

Sorry for the wall of text.
Gab

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice