Remove Advertisements

[10H] Warmaster Blackhorn

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10H] Warmaster Blackhorn

Postby Belloc » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:12 pm

madmessias wrote:
2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:I watched like 15 different videos today and got some neat little tricks. One of which we do already, we tank both adds near one of the drakes for cleave damage/what not. However a couple tricks I saw and didn't know if it was counter productive or not were:

1. Solo tank the two adds and have the other tank soak up barrages. Switch tanks every set of adds, and it seems like it would rock. I don't know if you'd lose to much dps on adds that way but seems better and less risky than having dps lower their dps/possibly die/miss some.

2. I liked this one video where they had a range on each side of the boat where the drakes get harpooned so basically the adds would sometimes charge to the sides of the boat rather than all over the boat just thought it was interesting.

3. Anyone who isn't using the solo soak strategies talked about on here are just plain ridiculous there is truly no downside to it.

I think I'm going to be using stay of execution and fire of the deep for this fight. I just like stay for the absorb even while soaking, and to have a 20 percent damage reduction on disrupting. May end up going with indomitable pride and stay. I did this fight reforged threat stats other day, so I'll just go back normal way now that I know how much p2 hits for.

Some people were saying you couldn't target goriona anymore? I tried to have the lock put bane of havoc on her/it.

I wouldn't bother the solotanking both adds, since only one tank will get vengeance then.
You seem quite silly, there's no need at all to solosoak the big ones, if you get all big ones with the entire raid, you had to get around 3-4 small ones prenerf, and now with the nerf, i doubt you need to get any of the small ones, but meh just get a few anyways, DK tank, holypala etc can easily solosoak.

Vengeance is irrelevant to the point of his solo-tanking adds. He wants to soak more barrages and I can't see how that's a bad idea.

We have pretty good DPS and we were 9 soaking every onslaught... the ship still takes too much damage if you completely ignore barrages.
Belloc

Postby Era » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:00 pm

We've been 10-soaking all Onslaughts and ignoring all the small Barrages until the ship hits 30% - then catching everything we can until P2 hits. Works like a charm, though as mentioned earlier in this thread, you sometimes get P2 with the melee adds still up which can make for a messy transition. It's nothing too horrible though. :wink:
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby madmessias » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:25 am

Belloc wrote:
madmessias wrote:
2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:I watched like 15 different videos today and got some neat little tricks. One of which we do already, we tank both adds near one of the drakes for cleave damage/what not. However a couple tricks I saw and didn't know if it was counter productive or not were:

1. Solo tank the two adds and have the other tank soak up barrages. Switch tanks every set of adds, and it seems like it would rock. I don't know if you'd lose to much dps on adds that way but seems better and less risky than having dps lower their dps/possibly die/miss some.

2. I liked this one video where they had a range on each side of the boat where the drakes get harpooned so basically the adds would sometimes charge to the sides of the boat rather than all over the boat just thought it was interesting.

3. Anyone who isn't using the solo soak strategies talked about on here are just plain ridiculous there is truly no downside to it.

I think I'm going to be using stay of execution and fire of the deep for this fight. I just like stay for the absorb even while soaking, and to have a 20 percent damage reduction on disrupting. May end up going with indomitable pride and stay. I did this fight reforged threat stats other day, so I'll just go back normal way now that I know how much p2 hits for.

Some people were saying you couldn't target goriona anymore? I tried to have the lock put bane of havoc on her/it.

I wouldn't bother the solotanking both adds, since only one tank will get vengeance then.
You seem quite silly, there's no need at all to solosoak the big ones, if you get all big ones with the entire raid, you had to get around 3-4 small ones prenerf, and now with the nerf, i doubt you need to get any of the small ones, but meh just get a few anyways, DK tank, holypala etc can easily solosoak.

Vengeance is irrelevant to the point of his solo-tanking adds. He wants to soak more barrages and I can't see how that's a bad idea.

We have pretty good DPS and we were 9 soaking every onslaught... the ship still takes too much damage if you completely ignore barrages.

We soaked as little as 3x barrages in one kill, and then we even soaked the first onslaught with two people, and that was with the 5% nerf, so with the 10% nerf im fairly sure that if you soak all onslaughts with 10people and u kill the drakes in one go (Which shouldn't be a problem) only soaking.. like 1x barrage is fine
madmessias

Postby Era » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:03 pm

The ship still takes damage from sappers in P2, even if the boss is already on the deck.
Painfully confirmed. :roll:

Had a P2 that was going to end in a wipe regardless, so we let the sapper go just to see. >_>
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Hespherus » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:28 am

So, weve managed to kill this one, once, with good fire rng, but this week apart from some attendance issues and consequently some new people in the raid, we really didnt have any decent tries.

Im kinda attributing this to the fact that the drakes maybe werent dieing fast enough, even though they were dieing in one pull.

Me and the other tank, stack in the middle and soak as much as possible using our CDs. Our disc priest soaks some, and sometimes our hpally and retpally. Basically the ship doesnt blow up at all when we dont lose anyone.

The only problems is the fire which is kinda all over the ship. And from what ive been reading its because we go from 75% to 50% too fast.

So my question is, would it be beneficial to blow hero on the second set of drakes, just to kill them asap and hopefully not get to 50% that fast?

Ranged usually blows cds on the first wave, and melee on the second wave, plus hero on third with any cds available to kill the drakes fast.

DPS are SP, Arcane Mage, SurvHunter, Ret, Elem shammy and Rogue.

Any advices on how to control the fire a bit better? Ergo stretching the period from 75% to 50%...
Hespherus

Postby Winkle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:56 am

If you raid soak every onslaught and catch every barrage you can actually reach P2 without dropping below 50%. My suggestion would be to just work on soaking more of the barrages.

Killing the drakes faster isn't really going to help you since they barrage before they're harpooned.
Winkle

Postby Era » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:18 am

We had some luck with ignoring the barrages until the ship reached 30%, but then you're reaaaally dependent on luck with the fires. So, now we've gone back to trying to soak as much as we can, just because we had some reaaaaally ugly P2 transitions.

I'd like to see some nice drawings/schematics on how people split up the different parts of the boats, or however you're dealing with the soaking. We're currently splitting it in 4 sections: front, left side, right side and back part. I feel it's a little clunky though. Gonna look into it later tonight and see if I can't make some pretty drawings for next reset.
Era

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:32 am

At work, so I have to improvise a bit.

The first board near the bow of the ship where Thrall and the Aspects are is the area of responsibilty for our mage and warlock.

The middle board is the responsibility of the tanks are the rogue dps we have.

The third board is the responsibility of a healer and our ele sham.

The final 2 people is our last healer and our spriest who float in the middle and favor one way or the other depending on fire and where the 2 primary groups can't get too. IE: Group 1 has to favor to the starboard side of the ship, so the last group will float towards the port front side to cover for them.

Our onslaught rotation is everyone in for first 3, then I, the prot paladin, solo soak the 4th and if we get a 5th, the spriest alone. Depending on where a barrage may be, I will go solo soak a barrage instead of getting into an onslaught. My feral off tank does the same from time to time.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Era » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:55 am

Hm, as tanks we've been keeping the adds stacked up with the drakes for cleave purposes, but that makes it real hard for us to cover the entire mid section - Especially for me as a paladin, with my limited mobility. We usually just catch thing within a short distance of the drakes.

Do you guys actively use your tanks to soak? I think that'd give us some trouble with the adds, but I guess our DPS might be slightly sub-par; we have a couple of new members who need some dance-lessons. :roll:
Era

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:59 am

We soak what we can. We also run a heavy range comp with only 1 melee, our rogue.

We tried the whole cleaving off the adds to the drake, but it ended up not being worth it. Both adds are stacked as much as possible but when they're charging any way, it's hard to please everyone.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Era » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:09 am

Yeah, we're using 1 melee too, a warrior - nice to have him charging and jumping around.

I'll have us utilize the tanks more for soaking then, and I guess we should look into solo-soaking some of the later Onslaughts if we have enough health left on the ship. We have two Fire Mages and a Shadow Priest in our funny little setup, so we should have plenty of people able to soak one if needed.

Do you happen to know about how many % solo-soaking an Onslaught takes from the ship?
Era

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:15 am

I don't know percentage wise, but it's 600k health wise.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Hespherus » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:48 am

Thats 10% of the ship´s health. It has 6M hp.
Hespherus

Postby Era » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:03 am

Alright, thank you guys!
Era

Postby Hespherus » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:23 am

I dont why, but im almost certain that the drakes were casting barrages while they were being harpooned...Im gonna pay more attention next time. Guess we are screwed with 2 melee...makes it alot harder to soak the small ones.
Hespherus

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)