Remove Advertisements

Where did Cataclysm go wrong?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Where did Cataclysm go wrong?

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:54 am

Klaudandus wrote:The only pet I've ever bought was the wyvern cub with a plushie for my sis. I think the plushie was worth it.

The other stuff? It feels like a cash grab for what they provide

I bought the cub as well, since it came with a plushie. Also got the Monk/Lil' KT (Monk because part of the proceeds went to a charity, and KT was out at the same time, so figured what the heck.) Haven't paid for any of the others.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Archeth » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:35 am

I wanted to buy the plush gryphon but on top of the 25€ cost they want 21€ international shipping :(
Archeth

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:26 am

Teranoid wrote:
Passionario wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:seriously, how many people saw NAXX40 in the day?

I'm sure that quite a few people saw Naxx40 during TBC.

Apparently not enough that it kept them from re-releasing it in T7.

And I meant Naxx40 when it was current back in the day.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:29 am

Random question that is totally off the main topic, but on topic for the current one... what changed between Naxx40 and Naxx10/25 that made it suddenly doable by everyone and their grandmother? Did they undertune the damage scaling? Not put enough hp on the bosses? Remove certain fight mechanics?
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:36 am

From what I understand, they were tuned for Wrath blues, including damage and health.

Still made for a memorable raid, specially for new people coming in Wrath. (My BC experience was limited to Kara and ZA back in those days)
---
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:42 am

So... TBC Epics > Wrath blues, and this made it a "joke" raid?
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am

Skye1013 wrote:So... TBC Epics > Wrath blues, and this made it a "joke" raid?

If you were a Sunwell raider? Yes -- How many people can actually raise their hand and say they had cleared Sunwell when it was current? Not me for sure.

I loved every minute of Naxx10/Naxx25, it was a great introductory raid for Wrath.

But yeah, Sunwell epics were about as good as ilvl 200 blues -- which is why they did a harder reset going from Wrath to Cata.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:50 am

I think I was part of a trash run once...

And for the record, I didn't have any issues with Naxx10/25, it was fairly enjoyable for me, and I even got to learn how to control the adds for the Instructor fight (as both a tank in 10 man and an spriest in 25.)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:54 am

Skye1013 wrote:I think I was part of a trash run once...

And for the record, I didn't have any issues with Naxx10/25, it was fairly enjoyable for me, and I even got to learn how to control the adds for the Instructor fight (as both a tank in 10 man and an spriest in 25.)

I've never been of a Guild 25 run, so I've never seen 25 man content but for Wrath, when we were part of a guild alliance with 2 other guilds -- until Blizz killed that with the shared lockout >.<
---
Klaudandus

Postby mavfin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:09 am

Lieris wrote:
Flex wrote:I do not understand dislike of the pet store, or even charging for faction/server transfers.

Of course you don't, you're the forum troll.

Once again, Lieris decides that anyone who disagrees with him is a troll.

As far as the pet store, it's all fluff, and you aren't required to buy it for any kind of power gain. If you like it and want it, buy it. If you don't ignore it. Easy. Like Flex, I'm not sure what the issue is.

If they sold power gains, like items, then I'd be all against that, and definitely would quit and never look back. But that's not what's happening.

Even Rift sells mounts. They call them Collector's Editions, but, it's $10 for a mount and a couple other things, basically. The Rift fanboys don't like it when you call it 'selling a mount', but it's the same thing.

On the subject of transfers: I remember when they first allowed them, that people here were all up in arms that they were allowed at all, and some said they should cost at least $50. Now, they feel they're entitled to get them for free. How times change.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:20 am

mavfin wrote:
Lieris wrote:
Flex wrote:I do not understand dislike of the pet store, or even charging for faction/server transfers.

Of course you don't, you're the forum troll.

Once again, Lieris decides that anyone who disagrees with him is a troll.

As far as the pet store, it's all fluff, and you aren't required to buy it for any kind of power gain. If you like it and want it, buy it. If you don't ignore it. Easy. Like Flex, I'm not sure what the issue is.

If they sold power gains, like items, then I'd be all against that, and definitely would quit and never look back. But that's not what's happening.

Even Rift sells mounts. They call them Collector's Editions, but, it's $10 for a mount and a couple other things, basically. The Rift fanboys don't like it when you call it 'selling a mount', but it's the same thing.

On the subject of transfers: I remember when they first allowed them, that people here were all up in arms that they were allowed at all, and some said they should cost at least $50. Now, they feel they're entitled to get them for free. How times change.

First of all, Lieris is a woman.

Second of all, Flex is well known for posting randomly annoying comments just to get a rise out of people. Not only annoying but also not constructive to the topic at hand. I'm not saying his post here is any of those, but it's a common thing for him and as a result it taints all his posts and it's hard not to look at what he says in a shitty light.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby mavfin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:29 am

Nikachelle wrote:First of all, Lieris is a woman.

Fair enough. I guess I never caught that.

On the troll part, Lieris has accused me of being a troll for disagreeing with her before, so that's why I jumped on that.
Last edited by mavfin on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:31 am

We need a troll font to go with the sarcasm font...
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:25 am

Lieris wrote: I think they really did a number on us with Dragon Soul and that along with this pet store stuff and server/faction changes still costing money is really trying my loyalty as a customer.

I can't see how the pet store effects your game experience, unless you're hurt that someone besides raiders are getting pretty pixels to ride. So what if people buy mounts and pets?

And do you REALLY want free faction and server transfers?... Not sure you really want that. Imagine 1/2 the server population changing each month, or more. You would also have completely dead servers with nothing but bots on them, and the high-pop servers would be buried. Think your gameplay would still be stable? Also, the overhead on Blizz would be a nightmare with that many transfers.

(And you would also have goblins roaming across servers pillaging as they go. I admit, as a goblin, that would be quite fun).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Archeth » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:32 am

While I agree that it's not really an issue of "what the game did wrong", there's still the issue that they basically made mount and pet collecting "mini careers" (pets especially, in MoP) yet are releasing some of the cutest/prettiest/etc. additions outside the game, with a price for which you can play the game for 12 months if you wanted them all.

Another problem is along the line that their RMT pets/mounts are unique (ie. there's no "getting similar things from just your 15$/month) and often of a higher quality than most of what they release for everyone. Pets are iconic figures and boss miniatures with sound effects, those for "cheapskates" are downscaled NPCs, lanterns etc., nice but not nearly THAT nice. Mounts include one sparkly recolor of Invincible which very few people could get the hard way, and two entirely new designs while (raid) achievement mounts are mostly recolors of existing drakes with new faces.

There would probably be fewer haters if there was a way to get a flying lion or an Asian dragon as in-game rewards even if that took a year of achievements or silly rare PvP/raid achievements. Although I guess in the latter case you'd still get elite PvPers/raiders to complain how scrubs can just buy similar mounts, but w/e.

And I can certainly understand the fees to act as a deterrent. On the other hand, so did cooldowns and they got rid of those anyway. You have to admit, 25€ is pretty excessive for a single character transfer (considering most people have half a dozen or more alts nowadays and WoW has dozens of servers for your friends to scatter) even if you don't do it as often as Worldie.

Then again, I guess they copied more than orcs and massive shoulderpads from Games Workshop.
Archeth

PreviousNext

Return to General