[10H] Yor'sahj the Unsleeping

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10H] Yor'sahj the Unsleeping

Postby Belloc » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:31 pm

For guilds just starting on this fight that have been farming 8/8 normal for a while (or even 1/8h), it's completely acceptable to bring 2 tanks, 3 healers, and 5 DPS. The 5% nerf made the DPS benchmark much more manageable. The benefits of this strategy is that it's much easier to heal the high-damage combinations and, with 2 tanks, purple phases become very easy to heal (no more 6 stacks on the tank).

We brought:
Prot Paladin
Feral Druid

Holy Paladin
Holy Priest
Disc Priest

Fire Mage
Shadow Priest
Arms Warrior
Combat Rogue
Survival Hunter

Long story short, we were beating the enrage timer by about 20 seconds and were able to comfortably heal through 3 Red/Black/Yellow phases in a row. We ended up two-tanking it because the feral was putting out about the same DPS as both bear and kitty, plus it made the purple phases pathetically easy to heal. If you have good DPS (not great or amazing, but good), I strongly suggest this strategy... the fight felt pathetically easy once we started doing it like this.

Oh, I should also mention that we kill the black ooze on one of the combinations, though I can't remember which and I can't bring up BigWigs Yor'sahj without actually being in his room. I imagine that this helped a bit with the DPS benchmark. The reason that we did this, however, is because I wasn't able to adjust the settings and it was automatically set to that. If you're having trouble meeting the DPS benchmark, killing black can make a difference.
Belloc

Postby Cowmmunion » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:08 am

We discussed bringing 3 healers, but the healers we had didn't want to. Purple (which is up for 2/3rds of the fight) wouldn't benefit from an extra healer, and the green/red/yellow/black one is trivial for 2 healers with timewarp.

We really strongly feel that there is no reason to ever take a red/black/yellow. Red/black/green is ridiculously easy to handle once people start standing in the right spot. In our two kills, we've taken 29k and 33k damage per second - and in the logs of people that are taking yellow, they are getting upwards of 45k damage taken per second. They peak out at ~150k damage taken per second, while we peak out at 80k.

For comparison, http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ktze1 ... 233&e=2814 is Belloc's kill last week - 50k DTPS, and ours http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-grs6g ... 113&e=8602 with 33.8k DTPS (which is sicnigantly higher then we did last week - I think because we did it in 6 sets of oozes rather then 7 so the red/black/green one is a higher % of total).

That being said, considering that we did it in 8:09 (our second kill, last week was our first in 9:05) with very few problems, we'll definitely switch to 2 tanks / 2 heals from 1 tank / 2 heals next week. If you don't take yellow, 2 healers can heal with no problem - 'specially if you have 2 tanks for purple. The positioning required for red/green together takes about 3 minutes to work out, and only happens once a fight anyway.

[I think it's important to say I'm not trying to single out Belloc or anything - our other raid group does the fight the same way he does, 3 heals and takes yellow.IT seems that most other people would rather take a yellow then a green. It's very doable, it's slightly easier to learn - it just asks a lot more of your DPS and increases damage taken by a huge amount. But once you learn how to stand for green/red you'll never want to do it again]
Cowmmunion

Postby Belloc » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:45 pm

I will say that if we were two healing it, I'd probably have us do red/green/black. Our three healers, though, actually prefer red/yellow/black. I'm sure our DPS doesn't mind the extra DPS, either :P
Belloc

Postby Grommash » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:42 am

We almost always kill yellow.

I see a lot of people doing Red/Black/Green/Yellow by killing green, but I think that's generally the wrong approach. For 25 man I can certainly see the urgency of killing green but for 10 man I just don't see it. Blood lust gets you through one set of Red/Black/Green and if you're unfortunate enough to get a second you can raid CD through it.

Splash radius is only 4 yards and on 10 man there is MORE than enough room for everybody to get close enough to the boss without getting destroyed by red AoE. Green is absolutely pathetic damage if you spread correctly. We found that leaving yellow up while more simplified required more raid healing, took away way too much DPS from the boss and more importantly caused an immense amount of damage to the tank that otherwise isn't there if you opt to keep green up instead.

To each his own but I think 2 healers is the best way to do the encounter. The only time you need three healers is for the nasty combo listed above, and depending on your DPS you might see that combination once or you might not see it at all (and having 2 healers means it's far more likely that you might not see it at all as you will likely cut another combination out). The whole Heroic mode is pretty much dealing with purple always, and considering purple is up almost always, the third healer pretty much has nothing to do!
Grommash

Postby Calleana » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:25 am

We noticed some slightly odd behaviour on Red/Black/Green/Yellow when killing Green and I'm just wondering if this has been reported elsewehere, we found a second set of adds were spawning has anyone else seen this?
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Darielle » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:07 am

Calleana wrote:We noticed some slightly odd behaviour on Red/Black/Green/Yellow when killing Green and I'm just wondering if this has been reported elsewehere, we found a second set of adds were spawning has anyone else seen this?

That's normal for Yellow and Black. Yellow makes him cast abilities twice as often, so he'll call Black adds twice in the cycle.
Darielle

Postby Grommash » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Yup. Void bolt hits the raid (reduced, and no DoT component), fire pulse happens twice as often, two sets of black adds, two volleys of green goo and two mana voids.
Grommash

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Not two mana voids. Absolutely definitely not.
Rhiannon

Postby Tebin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:17 pm

First kill of him this lockout. I went holy, and have the following insights about the purple phase, which is really the only phase that troubles healers:

i) Guardian of ancient kings is generally not great, but is kinda good here since its heal doesn't up purple stacks. If you have a purple/red/black combo it's a very effective healing spell..

ii) Holy shock can be used offensively to build up a few stacks of holy power without putting debuff charges on people. I know this is obvious, but it's not always something you think of when you're in 'healer' mode.
Tebin

Postby gomashon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:55 am

beacon doesn't build stacks.
use holy shock/light on a pet if you have nothing else to heal.
Group Therapy (Ravencrest-EU), 2 raid days per week, 8/8 25-Heroic, always recruiting.
gomashon

Postby Calleana » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 am

Thanks for the confirmation guys, guess we really don't want Yellow + Black then.

Good points about holy here, thanks Tebin using holy shock offensively is something I should remember to do! Hopefully we'll have some mroe successful attempts against this on Thursday.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Taeron » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:24 pm

I have pretty much all the gear I can to this point but I feel incredibly squishy on this fight. Healers are having a problem keeping me up on purple with only 4 heals per 20sec unless I chain CDs. Any tips for paladin tanks or should we just cheese it with an alt DK tank? :)

Healers we have are disco priest, holy paladin and druid.

Thanks.
Taeron

Postby Nikachelle » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Are you using a resist elixir? The Tol Barad trinket? Glyphed DP?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Taeron » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Are you using a resist elixir? The Tol Barad trinket? Glyphed DP?

The trinket and glyphed DS, but not the elixir. I pop either at 3 stacks and the other at 6. It goes through sometimes, but not as comfortable as I'd like at this point. I'll throw the elixir in the mix as well. I do use a duplicate tier helm with spell resist metagem for this but we are struggling all around.

I guess we just need more practice.
Taeron

Postby Belloc » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Taeron wrote:I have pretty much all the gear I can to this point but I feel incredibly squishy on this fight. Healers are having a problem keeping me up on purple with only 4 heals per 20sec unless I chain CDs. Any tips for paladin tanks or should we just cheese it with an alt DK tank? :)

Healers we have are disco priest, holy paladin and druid.

Thanks.

If your DPS is really high, just two tank it. Taunting off at 3 stacks = extremely easy tank healing. If you have a feral dps, you can probably manage the same.
Belloc

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)