[10H] Spine of Deathwing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10H] Spine of Deathwing

Postby Paoanii » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Honestly, with the 10% damage nerf, there is no pressing need to kite anymore. As a paladin tank with 2 stacks of the earth buff I'm able to comfortably tank all the bloods that spawn. Even with 38 bloods hitting me at once (the final total) I was taking about as much damage in total from them as I do from Blackhorn, and with 3 heals they had no issues keeping me alive (Up until my shield broke, but that is an ENTIRELY different issue).

I'll post logs here to show what I mean: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ycol ... 02&e=10779

Looking at the details for my healing taken you can see that they were able to keep me alive with mainly raid heals and lifebloom with the occasional hot from our druid. I only procced Indomitable Pride once in the entire fight and that was relatively early on, meaning that during the time when I was tanking most of the bloods I never dropped below 50% health.
Paoanii

Postby Kitmajere » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:30 pm

I agree with the no kiting. On our first kill (prenerf) I would spike decently hard at the end, but with proper cooldown usage, holy wrath stuns, and Army of the Dead or Earth ele during the stressful parts of the third tendon, it wasn't an issue at all. When we tried kiting too many healers were getting hits and the damage when just tanking is not enough to warrant that (or maybe the HA tank was not doing a good job at helping pick up bloods. Either way.). This does assume you roll off some bloods via absorption by the rolled off HAs.
Also, we never really stop to AoE. We just let a stead stream of AoE (think frost dk HB) keep the blood numbers in check. If we got behind and healing was stable we might do one quick burst. But, anymore, everyone joins in on this since they want the oo-aoe-dmg-#s, and I tank probably... 10ish? bloods at then end of the fight and 5ish tops at any other point. As is, I take barely more damage than the rest of the raid: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-n ... 151&e=6732 . GG nerfs.
Kitmajere

Postby Fenrìr » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm sure some raid comps can get away with no kiting. And even the people who killed it pre-nerf. But people who are now progressing on it, may find it prudent to kite.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Paoanii » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Fenrìr wrote:I'm sure some raid comps can get away with no kiting. And even the people who killed it pre-nerf. But people who are now progressing on it, may find it prudent to kite.

That log I posted is from our second kill ever. The first kill was when my shield broke (the monday before that log) and even without a shield the healers were able to keep me alive.
Paoanii

Postby Brosterr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Phonic wrote:Anyone have a log of 2-healing it?

I highly doubt this is possible. We two heal everything and have for a long time now and I am fairly certain both of my healers would say not a chance in hell they could 2 heal spine.
Brosterr

Postby timoseewho » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:59 am

I think 2-healing might be a stretch hehe.
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 20-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho
timoseewho

Postby madmessias » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:05 pm

If you use 1tank and kill all tendons in one go.. I think it'd be doable?
madmessias

Postby jaden » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:44 pm

1 tank, 2 heal, kill EACH tendon in 1 lift. turns a 12 minute fight into a 6 minute fight. Its gonna test your healers, but i think its doable now.
jaden

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Could we get some more feedback from people who have tried the one tank 3 heal strat? Obviously I realize you still have two lifts, but I'm trying to see just how feasible this would be. In my mind it would make the fight drastically shorter, and a lot easier. I just think it ends up being a hassle trying to kill bloods, take all that damage, then soak up residue with amyg, and even only take 1 tick of their blast ( all to make bloods more manageable). It seems like when two tanking you end up killing more bloods than needed anyways, which causes more bloods in the end. I just keep thinking about it and it seems more and more reasonable to one tank it.

I would go ret and I suppose I'd be responsible for cleaving down bloods, I could manage that its also a bigger DPS increase since you can't miss on Divine Storm. Now would the DK tank want to tank towards the middle? That way he had an easier time picking up bloods? And then move to the plate? The only downside I can see to this is that the amyglation would get a few stacks early, but if I did it right it really shouldn't be a problem.

1. You wouldn't have to kill Corruption during tendon lifts because you'd always have enough DPS to get it in 2.
2. You'd always have enough DPS to get it in 2.
3. You'd lower the time between lifts making their less bloods in the end.
4. Your ONE tank would easily start off with 2 stacks of deep corruption EARTH doing the bottom right top left thing. As opposed to sometimes the 1 tank ending up with 1 and the other ending up with 2.

Do all these things sound feasible, and I could picture it being possible to get the first tendon down with lust in one lift with pots, but if not it would be better to stagger them obviously.

When I was two tanking it it seemed like:

1. To many bloods were dieing and then would sometimes go back in hole, again the more bloods that die the more bloods that spawn.
2. The more bloods that die the more raid damage you take
3. Neither tank was really able to dps tendons because they were killing Corruption during lifts so if I was on amyglations I'd pick it up and bring it to the back so it didn't get random stacks on it, and if the blood tank tried to do dps to the tendon bloods would hit healers/others.

Thoughts/comments/concerns/ideas?
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenrìr » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:06 pm

During your 2 tank attempts, if too many bloods were dying, your probably wasting a DPS by having them on bloods. Only let the blood tank kill them and if you need to AoE them down, then let 1, ONE, range kill them.

Even then, it's only a concern on the first plate. After that, the blood tank can easily handle knocking down 9 bloods for the Amagl and then when you roll, AoE some to soak.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby jekoh » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:40 am

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:1. To many bloods were dieing and then would sometimes go back in hole, again the more bloods that die the more bloods that spawn.

As said before this is a loss of dps on bloods but it is usual to have dps more interested in their dpsmeter rather than completed the fight ...
Once they will understand they should better focus the amalgam and ignore bloods when it is not the time to clean they will detest this fight as this is aginst their desire. And with -10% on life and damage they do when they explode it is so a temptation for dps to aoe rather than let the tank do the job.

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:2. The more bloods that die the more raid damage you take

Yes for sure but it hurts only when several bloods explode at the same time and we do it packed with raid cd before to roll the boss and with the second tank job with good timing to clean residue on ground, stack amalgation with them, hook in the hole et say goodbye to amalgations everythings in the last 2 seconds before the roll.
When residue are all packed, the amalgation can absorb more than 9 residues this help to clean between each roll to avoid to much bloods respawn and this why often only one of the 3 amalgations stacks to 9 before the roll

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:3. Neither tank was really able to dps tendons because they were killing Corruption during lifts so if I was on amyglations I'd pick it up and bring it to the back so it didn't get random stacks on it, and if the blood tank tried to do dps to the tendon bloods would hit healers/others.

If you loose time killing the corruption and pick up amalgam during lift it is because your dps distant suck waiting the explosion of the amalgation. Everytime we do it, I am close to dead residue, at 4% I move, the amalgation is stacked at 9 with 3% left, in 2second he starts the explosion cast, I run to the low life corruption, the dps distant finish the corruption, the amalgation explode, I take the new amalgation with two hits to build enough thread on him, and I run back to the tendon avoiding to walk in dead residue as I am followed and help to dps tendon. In the meantime healers walk also to the tendon so that the 2nd tank may help on the tendon and cleave to build thread on the new bloods coming on him and healers.
We don't do it for the 2nd phase of the 3rd tendon, generally the tank on bloods start kiting to avoid to be hit with 20-25 bloods runing after him, I take the new amalgation and the new blood coming to protect healers

We do it that way on our first kill with the 5% bonus and after the tendon nerf
jekoh

Postby Qeeze » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:46 am

No idea if this has been mentioned here or else where, but I use this macro to quickly target the Tendon.

/cancelaura parachute
/cast [@boss2,exists] Zealotry
/cast [@boss2,exists] Avenging Wrath
/use [@boss2,exists] Rotting Skull
/tar boss2

The advantage of this macro is that you can spam it like mad and it pops my Ret DPS CD's as soon as the tendon is target-able. A big advantage to this macro is you can't pop your CD's early. The [@boss2,exists] command (or @Boss1, @Boss3, etc) isn't well known but works.

DBM has a setting to cancel cinematics so you don't have to hit your escape key when the fight starts either. As soon as I see DW my parachute is canceled and i'm on the back right corruption. I make sure I have 3 HP available as the almag is about to blow. and spam this macro like mad. The nice thing is it works even if the CD's aren't up or for some reason I don't have 3HP.
Qeeze

Postby Shanudis » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:58 am

We're getting really close to a kill on this (wiping shortly before second lift on third plate) and I was hoping for a little advice.

I am my guild's raid leader and main tank (Prot pally). Currently I am picking up slimes while our feral druid tanks amalgamations. We have been killing slimes on the first and second plate (just our hunter AoEs them) and soaking all slimes up with the two amalgs on the first to second transition. We've attempted to do the same on the second to third transition, but healers said the damage was too overwhelming and that we needed to roll faster. Our best attempt I died when the second amalg was at about 50% due to an overwhelming amount of bloods. I'm guestimating that there were roughly 30 or so bloods on me at the time of my death. I was waiting for GANK to come off CD (Had to use it during the roll).

Is there anything to make this last part easier? We are considering switching out and having our warrior go tank and pick up bloods for easier kiting during the end (since we are more than good on DPS, typically seeing 30-35% on tendons after first lift). Alternatively we could switch in a blood death knight for either roll. Any opinions?

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/e ... s/advanced
Last nights logs: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6xicm69jwwafn5r7/
Shanudis

Postby Ghuul » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:22 am

We run this encounter by doing very fast rolls after each plate, the first and - most important - the second one! To make sure that the "roll-phase" remains very short, we do not kill the corruption tentacle before each tendon-phase. Instead we load up the amalg with 9 stacks shortly before the second fiery-grip. Doing this provides you with a very low-hp corruption tentacle after the tendon-phase. When the plate flies away your range-DPS will be able to kill the low-hp tentacle within 3 seconds, while your melees focus down the new tentacle that spawned beside the tendon. After these two are down aoe down as much bloods as possible (this should take about 5sec) and trigger a barrol roll with all raid-CDs available (we have divine hymne, feral T4, AM, totem or tranc). When the roll-timer is at 3 or 4 sec left, your amalg tank has to kite the 2 amalgs through the resedue towards the raid to not get flipped off.
This was the key to our first-kill last week and we 2 shoted it yesterday with another raidcomp but the same strategy :-)
Good Luck!
Ghuul

Postby Winkle » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 am

A lot of people seem to be tanking an amalgamation through the tendon phase, why is this?

We only have 3 grips between each tendon, this leaves the corruption with 40% hp. Sounds like a lot of people are breaking the grip with to much dps.
Winkle

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)