Remove Advertisements

Holy paly switches to prot (rate build and answer ??? plz)

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Holy paly switches to prot (rate build and answer ??? plz)

Postby wingman » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:37 pm

OK, so I leveled as a ret paly and then once 70 I fell for the trap that everyone puts out there and went holy. I hated it, plus our guild and server have a severe shortage of tanks, so when our guilds main tank went offline for awhile, I decided to take things into my own hands and go prot. I already had most heroic keys but had horrible tanking gear. THanks to this forum and a few other sites, I fell I've quickly picked up the basics of tanking and I'm scrambling to get gear. I think I've done OK, just need a belt now (forget the name, but there's a quest reward in netherstorm that I should get in the next day or two that looks good).

Anyway, take a look at my gear and tell me what I can do to improve. My guild hasn't run Kara yet, though I have been in 2 terrible PUGs there as a healer (got enough rep to get violet signet).

Can someone explain to me how to add up the math for uncrushable? I"m about 50% dodge/parry/block, but I don't understand how much % to miss I get. The defense stats say they INCREASE my chance to miss by 5% or so. Is that my chance to miss? Or is there a base chance that all characters get that is INCREASED by 5%?

Another question. Can someone tell me how block value works? I am confused by the block number on a shield and then any block value bonuses. Is there somewhere that explains how block value works and how much mitigation it does? I know it's different than block rating, and understand block rating pretty well, but what does block value do (the more block value the more damage your shield absorbs I assume, but I haven't seen any of the math associated with it).

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shandris&n=Wingman
wingman

Re: Holy paly switches to prot (rate build and answer ??? pl

Postby Livyan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:15 pm

Quote snipped for some easy reading.

wingman wrote:Can someone explain to me how to add up the math for uncrushable?

Or is there a base chance that all characters get that is INCREASED by 5%?

Can someone tell me how block value works?

Uncrushable refers to when your Base Miss Chance + Defense Miss Chance + Dodge + Parry + Block + Holy Shield = 102.4%.

All mobs have a base 5% miss chance.
(Even if some gain additional miss due to Dual-Wielding, they rare, and thus not involved in the Uncrushable calculations)

Shields have a Block Value.
Some items have +Block Value. (Shields sometimes have this as a stat, aswell)
Shield Specialization adds 30% Block Value (Both from the Shields' inherit Block Value and added Block Value from gear).
So (Shields' Block Value + Block Value from gear) * 1.3 = Your Block Value
(Strength is left out of this calculation, since it's a totally worthless stat in terms of Blocking for a Paladin due to being an expensive stat to hoard on items for and has no additional benefits other than Block)
Livyan

Postby wingman » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:34 pm

Thanks for the clarification. How about some input to my build? What can I improve or tweak before kara?
wingman

Postby Lightskin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:48 pm

Just enchant your cloak with +12 agi, work on a few more pieces, and you are there.

Pop holy shield and check your stats with tankpoints, just dropdown the box and look at the crushing blow number, if it doesn't say 0% you are not there yet.

Download Tankpoints:
http://wow-en.curse-gaming.com/downloads/details/992/

PS: You need to get the Libram of Repentance from Heroic rewards.
Lightskin

Postby Livyan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:44 am

Lightskin wrote:Just enchant your cloak with +12 agi, work on a few more pieces, and you are there.

If you have the time and an enchanter friend (or someone at all on Alliance-side on your server), go for Dodge (<-- Clicky!).
It'll give you a higher percentage of Dodge than +12 Agi, albeit at a bit more work.
Livyan

Return to Basic Training & Talents