NORMAL BM - how do you do it w/o OOM?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby jere » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:03 pm

I typically run 5 mans in the D3 set (Righteous Set).

It has lower AC, lower avoidance, and mp5. The best of all worlds in terms of mana regen.

I also use a stam trinket and a spell dmg trinket, The rest of the slots I try to fill with pally tanking gear (Arcatraz Bracers, Boots of the Protector, Badge Belt) as I can and do mix and match between spell dmg and tanking pieces for the remaining slots.

All that plus I run ret aura, BoW, and use Rank 1 and Rank 3 consecrates.

I typically can stay up on mana.

Also, I do sit and drink occasionally, but only for a few seconds just to get my mana up 1 or 2 k. I rarely drink to full though due to time.
jere

Postby sbeacher » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Another tip is right before one of the rift lords is about to die pull him away from whatever adds are left so you fall out of combat while the dps is finishing off the adds (hopefully a shaman or hunter that can take a little beating). That way you can drink right away while they finish off the rest of the adds and by the time they are moving onto the next portal you have some mana back.

I never drink to full but I do sit and drink for a few seconds after every mini boss.

It's a balancing act.
sbeacher

Postby DeadlyRabbit » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:03 pm

I usually just drop a couple of mana pots over the course of the instance, which is the same with all instances, kara and ZA.
DeadlyRabbit

Postby clango » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:29 am

Boudi wrote:D) you're just standing there doing /flex (/flex generates 10TPS true story)

??? o.O
clango

Postby Big Mushy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:09 am

The only way I can run BM without going oom is not use holy shield and use as much dps gear as I can, sometimes I take off some gear and wear a Red winter's hat, or tux pants etc (hurts the health pool but helps the mana pool) as soon as I am near 50% mana on a rift lord etc, I swap seal/judgements to wisdom, Just don't do what I have done which is run into a boss without half of my gear on lol

Consumables I use for BM is normally some sporefish and sometimes mana oil, and I will sometimes pop mana pots during the run (normally unstable ones). Everything else has been said hope it works out for you :D

:Edit: I know it has been said before but 2 pieces of our D3 will help greatly, who can resist less mana cost on consecrate
Tankadin-70-Barth
Big Mushy

Postby Korath » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:46 am

Havent been there since upping my gear alot but used to just pull as normal and then rank 5 or 1 concs to try and pick up most adds and soon as boss was down get drinking, if your DPS can get the adds down quick enough drinking isnt a problem.

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby kalbear » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:11 pm

Thanks, all, for the replies. I started doing the drinks between every wave, got better with my consecrate positioning and it went a lot more smoothly, didn't have any breaks and the adds basically all stuck to me with the occasional straggler. Heroic BM is still a pain but I think that's more due to the makeup of the group than anything else.

Finally got to revered too. Now I don't have to ever run it if I don't want to :)
kalbear

Postby Miena » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:19 pm

If you like me don't have space for old gear to use for this place I have found that hitting the good old /sit macro can help a lot with the mana issues when needed. :oops:
Miena

Postby kalbear » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Really, it's not a matter of damage taken. There's only so much healing to be done, and it's not like a raid. In normal BM you'd have to be taking about 10K damage in 8 seconds in order to get a full rotation. That's quite a bit, and I'd be surprised that even if you got all the adds you'd be able to take that sort of damage. And a healer would hate you for it.

No, I just needed to make sure to drink before pulls, be okay with the occasional add getting by me and get better positioning with the consecrates. That's a real key; knowing where to put the consecrate so that the adds will go through it in order to get to med is really important. The more you do that, the less the party takes in damage and the more you take. All of those things are good.

Gotta work on my heroic BM a bit; I'm still taking way too much damage there. Probably going to have to do the opposite thing that I do in normal and make sure to tank the elite away from the portal so that I don't pick up adds.
kalbear

Postby Catelyn » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:51 pm

JoR and SoR autoattack to hold aggro. sometimes holy shield too. holds aggro from normal groups NP

edit: and rank 1 consecration.
Winter is Coming

Catelyn

Postby Lalecize » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Not to confuse you at all but my way of doing it -

Tank all the ads at the portal and learn where to position your consecrate.

Open with a rank 5 consecrate, Judge Rightousness on rift lord.

After that I simply spam rank 4 consecration (if AoE'ers around) which can hold aggro off them and watch omen like a hawk and JoR on the rift lord as needed.

I usually end up using 3/4 of my mana and i drink between portals, toss my shield at the first ad (usually if u drink 1 gets loose) then run my ass to the riftlord and resume my rotation.

As stated earlier if your dps is good enough theres enough time to drink
Lalecize

Postby kon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:38 pm

2 words, shadow priest :D
kon

Postby knaughty » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:42 pm

kon wrote:2 words, shadow priest :D

QFT

I won't run heroic BM without one, let alone normal, I'd be chugging pots non-stop.

Resto shaman for mana totems also helps.

Spamming "sit" is probably the fastest way to transfer your healer's mana pool over to yours.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby ldeboer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:50 pm

Sorry just really facinated that lots obviously expect the tank to hold the adds in BM and certainly would say this would be very hard on the healer in heroic.

Seriously easiest way with BM is to have 1 person take adds can be a well geared mage or a melee. Tank and other 2 dps on boss with healer doing there thing.

Never ever a problem as just like any normal fight and grp seldom ever use the dragon trinkets.

Expecting the tank to hold all the adds and using mana inefficent aoe concecrate is just bad tactics.
ldeboer

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:16 am

Depends on how's the tank's gear. If he's t5+ geared, holding adds in Heroic Bm aint rly a issue and they hit hard enough to refill mana even with max ranked Cons spam. If less i'd higly recommend some dps war - ret pally - bm huntard - lolguard lock - frost mage - feral dr00d - whateveryoulike dpstanking them
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics