Remove Advertisements

[LFR] - a quick tanking guide

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[LFR] - a quick tanking guide

Postby frontallobe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Morchock:
- You can one tank it (if you get three sunders and the healers suck just use CDs)
- He enrages at 20% so you'll probably use GaK there
- Sometimes people like to off tank when you get 3 sunders. Let em, meh
- If you have a beam attached to you because people stink at absorbing crystals, just move boss further from crystal so you're not targeted.

Yor'sarj
- Solo tankable - people may off tank at about 4 stacks of magic damage buff - let em meh
- at 4 stacks pop DP glyphed for 40% reduced damage
- When people go to kill slimes just stay and dps boss

Zon'ozz
- 1 tank
- Point boss away from raid
- Don't worry about orbs - they handle themselves in LFR
- Pop DP glyphed for 2nd psychic drain

Hagara
- 1 tank
- When she does focused assault strafe away and she'll stop. It can hurt
- that's literally it ^

Ultraxion
- 2 tank
- In LFR you can stay out for a twilight by hitting DP glyphed or GaK or both.
- You get a new debuff called Fading Light. It pops on you with a variable amount of time left until you explode. Hit your button at 3 seconds.
- Taunt off other tank when he gets fading light

Warmaster (Boat)
- Two different adds drop down. Because of the debuffs they give (in LFR too?) you should tank 1 type the first set and the other one the next set alternating.
- pop DG during a twilight to be nice
- Warmaster drops down - tank him until 3 sunders - other tank taunts - dont get hit by cone shockwave effect.

Spine
- Tank amalgamation by the front (the plate to be destroyed) -
- run around and pick up the slime pools
- when amalg has 9 stacks make sure you're nice and close to plate - pop a cool down - rinse/repeat

Deathwing
- I solo tank in reg but I think LFR does a two tank method
- big tenticle in back spawns - taunt it
- pop a cooldown for the first impale - OT will taunt for next impale - if he doesn't just AD it
- Bolt does damage based on where it hits. Don't be near impact zone without a CD
- last platform - tank big guys in yellow dome - at 4 stacks of debuff pop cooldowns including dream button and anything else ya got. It can hurt depending on DPS and healers in your group.

Enjoy - don't be afraid to ask questions in LFR - most people tend to like honesty over faking it and wiping them from my exp at least.

Have fun!
Jay
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Re: [LFR] - a quick tanking guide

Postby Hrobertgar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Yor'sahj:
Taking more than 4 stacks can be dangerous in LFR unless you are lucky to have good healers, let the other tank taunt at 3 stacks.

Zon'ozz:
I've noticed a lot of tanks pointing him away from the raid, the orbs jsut sit there sometiems without charging. SOMETIMES the OT will run over with a healer and charge up the orb, but I stilll think its best to point it at the raid at least the first time.

Warmaster:
Make certain your stacks have dropped off before taunting, even if the other tank has 3, he can just pop a big CD.

Madness:
Do NOT waste a CD on the first impale on a platform, the OT rarely taunts it for the second impale and any credible tank can easily survive a first impale without a CD (only in LFR, you will be 1-shot on normal). Just be prepared to CD the second impale on each platform. This will ensure you have either GanK or AD (+ Div Prot) up for the second impale on every platform even if the OT never taunts.

If you are topped off, ignore Elementium Bolt (in LFR it cannot kill a full health raid member unless you are standing at the impact point, maybe not even then), otherwise pop a CD. Raid CD can also be nice but not required.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby frontallobe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks Hrobertgar - I definitely don't tank enough LFR (I hate the unwashed masses) so all the above is helpful and appreciated.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Hokahey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:29 pm

frontallobe wrote:Morchock:
- You can one tank it (if you get three sunders and the healers suck just use CDs)
- He enrages at 20% so you'll probably use GaK there
- Sometimes people like to off tank when you get 3 sunders. Let em, meh
- If you have a beam attached to you because people stink at absorbing crystals, just move boss further from crystal so you're not targeted.

Yor'sarj
- Solo tankable - people may off tank at about 4 stacks of magic damage buff - let em meh
- at 4 stacks pop DP glyphed for 40% reduced damage
- When people go to kill slimes just stay and dps boss

Zon'ozz
- 1 tank
- Point boss away from raid
- Don't worry about orbs - they handle themselves in LFR
- Pop DP glyphed for 2nd psychic drain

Hagara
- 1 tank
- When she does focused assault strafe away and she'll stop. It can hurt
- that's literally it ^

Ultraxion
- 2 tank
- In LFR you can stay out for a twilight by hitting DP glyphed or GaK or both.
- You get a new debuff called Fading Light. It pops on you with a variable amount of time left until you explode. Hit your button at 3 seconds.
- Taunt off other tank when he gets fading light

Warmaster (Boat)
- Two different adds drop down. Because of the debuffs they give (in LFR too?) you should tank 1 type the first set and the other one the next set alternating.
- pop DG during a twilight to be nice
- Warmaster drops down - tank him until 3 sunders - other tank taunts - dont get hit by cone shockwave effect.

Spine
- Tank amalgamation by the front (the plate to be destroyed) -
- run around and pick up the slime pools
- when amalg has 9 stacks make sure you're nice and close to plate - pop a cool down - rinse/repeat

Deathwing
- I solo tank in reg but I think LFR does a two tank method
- big tenticle in back spawns - taunt it
- pop a cooldown for the first impale - OT will taunt for next impale - if he doesn't just AD it
- Bolt does damage based on where it hits. Don't be near impact zone without a CD
- last platform - tank big guys in yellow dome - at 4 stacks of debuff pop cooldowns including dream button and anything else ya got. It can hurt depending on DPS and healers in your group.

Enjoy - don't be afraid to ask questions in LFR - most people tend to like honesty over faking it and wiping them from my exp at least.

Have fun!
Jay

While no information in here is absolutely incorrect, I assume this is intended for a person who is new to tanking, and possibly new to the encounters themselves. I'd suggest avoiding oversimplifying. For instance, while the only concern that is specific to tanks on Hagara, Focused Assault is not the only thing in the encounter. Hints like-

"Be prepared to tank the Elemental add that spawns where you enter."

or-

"You can tell what phase will be coming first by looking at Hagara's weapons."

would be helpful tips to a person genuinely uninitiated to tanking the encounters. Also, it might be helpful to outline best practices, and then point out that those aren't absolutely necessary in LFR assuming you've lucked into a strong raid, and are decently geared yourself. That being said, you did elicit a chuckle from me.
Hokahey

Postby Schroom » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

my tip. get a 2nd tank from your guild with a decent dps specc. in part 1, let him dps it's all solo tankable, except for the Hagara trash.

part 2, use 2 tanks on all the bosses except for spine. madness is doable solo but I wouldn't do it with the usually weak random dps.

in short. I will never join lfr as a tank alone. it is just to frustrating. seeing random tanks keeping taunt on CD and dying from every shit, although the boss only needs one tank, and than having no B-rezzes available for healers.

also having random tanks, who are not taunting on the 2 tank encounters at all, like Ultraxion. the never push the button when they have their debuff, they never taunt when they should. same goes for Blackhorn. they taunt their add after 3 healers have been slain, the never taunt the boss.

srsly. I don't need that.
Schroom

Postby bldavis » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:38 am

im sorry, but that is what you get in LFR
but i have far less faith in LFR healers, so i suggest using 2 tanks for most of it, esp if you are new and have access to a guildie

anyway
ultraxion is solotankable by a pally, just get glyphed DP, and spam taunt when you get fading light

hagara really is a 1 tank fight, just strafe out of FA
if you can tell what weapons she has, great...i cant, and it doesnt really matter cause if its the lightning, the next will be ice..and vice versa

warmaster...all i would add is DO NOT STACK WITH THE DREADBLADE, it cleaves on LFR too
slayer, stack with the group for onslaughts

spine, i prefer 2 tanks just for ease of positioning and stress on healers
in normal i grab and hold the bloods, while the other tank controls the amalg
when the amalg is at like 40%, start gathering bloods and try to drag it back to teh plate asap
rinse and repeat x3

madness - just remember bolt>corruption>bloods>arm/wing
and on last platform, you have to single target the blistering tentacles (they are immune to aoe)
aoe down the fragments, taunt the terrors and hold them in the yellow debuff zone, and when second set comes up, just hold the terrors so dps can nuke the head (should be about 5% or less at that point)

at the risk of being called out again, i havent noticed a huge damage spike being near the bolt when it lands in LFR
so either i am insanely lucky or it doesnt do the major damage like on normal/heroic

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:56 am

Hokahey wrote:
"You can tell what phase will be coming first by looking at Hagara's weapons."

Not always! ;)

Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:03 am

(Wondering how you can tank with your health as a tiny little stripe in the far corner...)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:16 am

KysenMurrin wrote:(Wondering how you can tank with your health as a tiny little stripe in the far corner...)

I watch Grid more than I watch my bar off in the corner. (Grid shows total health when there's a deficit - since we're all healed to full atm, it doesn't show anything.)

Edit: Here's what I mean (Grid bottom, off center to the left):

Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Not always! ;)

I'd always thought it was the MH enchant that was the indicator. Is this not the case?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)