Remove Advertisements

Missing the Memo

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Missing the Memo

Postby Rhiannon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:38 am

Zobel wrote:
econ21 wrote:Not sure if this should go here or in the LFR raid thread, but it appears that in LFR, one tank is marked "main tank" and the other "main assist":

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4081812959

Is that true? It's new to me. But every since I learnt of LFR, I had been fretting about who should be the tank in the one tank DS fights in LFR.

That's a hotfix that went in yesterday.

The hotfix is regarding the Assistant designation in raids, ie the ability to set raid marks and do ready checks etc. That's entirely seperate from the main assist designation, which is what econ21's referring to. And yes, one tank getting marked as MT and the other as MA has been happening for a long time, if not from implementation. Seems a bit pointless to me though, I've never paid any attention to it.
Rhiannon

Postby Mukat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:11 pm

I've noticed, for the most part, the main tank designation is given to the better-geared tank. Main assist is the worse geared tank.
Mukat

Postby Nakama » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:50 pm

No idea when this changed, but apparently I can go do Molten Core without having to create a raid.

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Petrus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:57 am

I believe that has to do with the portal guy outside of BRD. If you use him, you can just port right in. On the other hand, if, like most people do, you use the remote to get into the Grim Guzzler in BRD, you need a raid group in order to walk in the main entrance.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm

I would like someone to send me a memo about reinforcements in Isle of Conquest. How are they determined? It does not seem to be exclusively based on kills. I've won several battles of attrition by controlling all the objectives and am sure it was that, rather than a superior kill rate, which decided the fight. So I guess you lose reinforcements for death but maybe gain them from holding objectives? Rather like the mine in AV. Is that right? Is it all objectives or just refinery and quarry?
econ21

Postby Dion » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:17 am

econ21 wrote:I would like someone to send me a memo about reinforcements in Isle of Conquest. How are they determined? It does not seem to be exclusively based on kills. I've won several battles of attrition by controlling all the objectives and am sure it was that, rather than a superior kill rate, which decided the fight. So I guess you lose reinforcements for death but maybe gain them from holding objectives? Rather like the mine in AV. Is that right? Is it all objectives or just refinery and quarry?

I think that Quarry and Oil Refinery both provide reinforcements and bonus honor.

EDIT: That's what WoWWiki also says too. http://www.wowwiki.com/Isle_of_Conquest
Dion

Postby econ21 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:25 am

Yes, I read that - although WoWWiki is not always up to date. But if it is true, I am curious why my side (Alliance) seemed to regard all bases as equally important for reinforcements and not just the refinery and quarry.

Not as puzzling as why the Horde did not seriously contest a single node though. They just watched their reinforcements slide ever further below ours for 5 minutes.
econ21

Postby amh » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:46 am

Huh, Heroes of Might and Magic VI was released in October. I've got to start paying attention. :(
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Stubblerump » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:59 am

econ21 wrote:I would like someone to send me a memo about reinforcements in Isle of Conquest. How are they determined? It does not seem to be exclusively based on kills. I've won several battles of attrition by controlling all the objectives and am sure it was that, rather than a superior kill rate, which decided the fight. So I guess you lose reinforcements for death but maybe gain them from holding objectives? Rather like the mine in AV. Is that right? Is it all objectives or just refinery and quarry?

Good question, but a moot point. In Isle of Conquest (or AV, etc) it's all about speed. A 30 minute win is a loss. The focus is docks, hanger, and seige factory. Alliance tends to focus on docks, horde focuses on siege factory, and good groups both contest hangar. Refinery and quarry buff your siege vehicles, etc. They help, but are not critical to getting down the opposing faction's gate as quickly as possible and then killing their boss. The point is to get inside and run bombs while simultaneously hitting the gate from the outside with demo's/seiges/glaves. In terms of speed, it's just like AV where you cap the relief gy and 2 towers by opposing boss as quickly as possible. Everything else is nice, and will make it easier for your tank/heals, but not necessary. I can't emphasize speed enough. Kill/slow the opponents vehicles, while protecting your own. Turtles are bad. A war of attrition is a huge waste time when you're trying to cap your conquest points. In terms of honor and conquest, it's still better to complete 6 5min battles and only win 1 rather than fight 1 30min war of attrition. But if you're doing the right thing and focusing on friendly speed and delaying/slowing the opposing faction, you'll win far more than you'll lose.
Stubblerump

Postby Epimer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:59 am

I didn't realise that the Annual Pass thing didn't require actually paying the full whack up front. It was the only thing putting me off the first time around and I bet it would have taken all of 15 seconds of reading on the topic to clear up.

What an idiot.
Epimer

Postby econ21 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:00 pm

After playing in excess of 200 Alterac Valleys, I realise I don't understand how graveyards work. I know I shout at Alliance people who take IB GY at the start, as it seems to mean the Horde respawn at FW just was our attackers are arriving to claim it. However, if we assault FW Relief Hut GY could they still respawn there until the flag turns blue? I assume they could, but someone shouting for us to cap the GY made me wonder if merely assaulting it could stem the flow before it turns.

If it could I should probably ride straight for FW relief hut when the game starts, rather than call on Galv.
econ21

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:53 pm

If a GY is contested, nobody spawns from it. For this reason, it's usually a good idea to grab Relief Hut/Aid Station prior to Frostwolf/Stormpike (so the opposing team spawns away from the choke point instead of causing a turtle.) This is especially true early on when there are a lot of contested GY and the opposing teams end up respawning closer to their starting points instead of near where they died.

*Disclaimer: I may have messed up the exact names of the GY, but you want to cap the last GY before the next to last one.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:04 am

Riding straight to FW Relief Hut worked like a charm in my last battle, thanks.

Next new discovery: Isle of Conquest Keeps have a flag you can capture. Where is it? I guess it's in the courtyard where the dead enemy spawn. Is it a good move to capture it?

I tend to try to get 10-12 people to go hangar, parachute in and chain bombs to the west gate. Usually we don't take the Keep(in part because silly me didn't know you could) but if there are enough of us, the excess from the four bomb runners cull any enemy respawns. If the horde don't defend, it's a surprising fast way of taking down a gate. However, last time, we seemed to lack enough punch (or at least healing) to kill the general. In chat, we were chastised from not taking the Keep flag first (so dead could respawn there).

I guess it's a good move to take the Keep flag if you can (can you take the flag before the gates are down?) although I have read of the horde using the siege engine to camp the GY if captured.
econ21

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:08 am

The flag is on the left side of the keep (I think) as you look at it. Maybe it's on the right though. Either way, it's there on the side.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:26 am

It's to the left of the Horde keep, and right of the Alliance. The GY respawns are on the opposite side from the flags.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to General