Remove Advertisements

Scientists make startling discovery

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

Postby Brekkie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:01 pm

I was surprised at the nature of the error. Isn't the FIRST thing you do when you suspect faulty operation to check to make sure all your connections are good? I'm not a particle physicist and even I know that.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:27 am

Didn't you know Occam's Razor has that fine print where it doesn't apply to particle physicists?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby aureon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Not when there's thousands of possibly faulty connections.
And it wasn't "broken", it was very slightly damaged.
aureon

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Well physically checking each connection is probably not realistic, but I would have expected a diagnostic sweep/mock run/simulations etc of some sort tuned enough to catch delays in transmission given the critical nature of small amounts of time in this experiment. That said, if that comes to my mind, it likely did theirs too, so the actual problem likely had a bit of nuance to it that explains how it got missed.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:59 pm

/necro

Ok, so I couldn't think of any other "sciency" type threads, but I'd say this still (mostly) fits with the thread name (maybe not the "startling" part.) And, it's (imo) pretty cool, too.

100-Million-Year-Old Spider Attack Recorded in Amber:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/ ... er-attack/
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:32 pm

but can we clone dinosaurs out of them?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 pm

They aren't mosquitos... so unless the wasp and/or spider was also feeding on dinosaur blood, I'm going to have to say no.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Klaudandus wrote:but can we clone dinosaurs out of them?

Giant, eight legged dino-spiders? Yes please!
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Passionario » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Klaudandus wrote:but can we clone dinosaurs out of them?

No, but we can do their dailies for Klaxxi rep.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 pm

On a different and very sad note, some Italian scientists were convicted of manslaughter for not providing adequate warning about an earthquake that killed some 300 People.

I honestly don't know the scientific arguments around this case so please correct me if I'm way off base here, but my gut reaction is that holding people criminally responsible for something like this, even if they read the warning signs wrong, is a dangerously slippery slope.

Http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/ ... tsrc=yahoo
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby halabar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Fridmarr wrote:On a different and very sad note, some Italian scientists were convicted of manslaughter for not providing adequate warning about an earthquake that killed some 300 People.

I honestly don't know the scientific arguments around this case so please correct me if I'm way off base here, but my gut reaction is that holding people criminally responsible for something like this, even if they read the warning signs wrong, is a dangerously slippery slope.

Http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/ ... tsrc=yahoo

And they aren't going after the contractors for shoddy construction?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Those shoddy contractors are part of the mafia, the scientists arent.
---
Klaudandus

Postby degre » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:38 pm

I think is a poor translation, as what is happening is similarly idiot but slightly different.

There was some retard trying to make a name for himself and announcing a big one coming based on some radon crap, gained quite a following and there was panic in the population, so these scientists invited to calm and pushed in the opposite direction, preaching calm and trying to chill out people saying that was just a quake swarm and nothing big was coming.

Based on these they have put on trial the scientists trying to calm the public, as they claim that by inviting the population to chill and saying that nothing was coming, the population didn't react properly when the big one came.

What pisses me off is not only that they have put on trial the people that tried to avoid panic spread, but that the retard that started and fuelled all the panic is not being trialled instead.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Koatanga » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:46 pm

degre wrote:I think is a poor translation, as what is happening is similarly idiot but slightly different.

There was some retard trying to make a name for himself and announcing a big one coming based on some radon crap, gained quite a following and there was panic in the population, so these scientists invited to calm and pushed in the opposite direction, preaching calm and trying to chill out people saying that was just a quake swarm and nothing big was coming.

Based on these they have put on trial the scientists trying to calm the public, as they claim that by inviting the population to chill and saying that nothing was coming, the population didn't react properly when the big one came.

What pisses me off is not only that they have put on trial the people that tried to avoid panic spread, but that the retard that started and fuelled all the panic is not being trialled instead.

Correct me if I have it wrong, but what I think you're saying is a guy predicted a big one, then the rational scientists calmed people down so they weren't prepared when the big one came. Whether through luck, legitimate science, or quackery, it sounds to me as if the original guy did predict a big one, so why should he be put on trial? He may have something with his radon crap that might warrant further investigation. Or it could be dumb luck.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 pm

that makes as much sense as me panicking the world because I say there's a big asteroid, that somehow remains undetected, that is gonna hit earth on december...

I have no proof, and if I am right its pure dumb luck...
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General