Remove Advertisements

[10H] Spine of Deathwing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10H] Spine of Deathwing

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:22 am

As this is our new road block, how do you handle the bloods on second and third plate? I've been killing them up to the point of the third plate, but I just feel like I am getting overwhelmed.

Do you just kill what's needed to push the amalgamation to 9 stacks and then AOE the rest when you roll? Or do you kill everything and then kite through them on third plate?
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:48 am

GMPoison wrote:
stevos wrote:What is the consenses post nerf, 1 tank or 2?

Post nerf, my group spent alot of time on it 2 tanking it because we didnt have the dps to kill the Tendon. We switched to solo tanking it and 1 shot it. If your dps can control their AoE, your 1 tank can tank the Almag and the Bloods. I'm a Prot Paladin and find that my AoE alone is enough to AoE the Bloods as needed.

How were the tendons dieing 2 per? I'm only willing to one tank this if we can get the first tendon down in one go. I mean maybe I shouldn't be, I just feel like there could be a lot of small problems with one tanking. Plus my DK co-tank is very good at frost but doesn't pick up trinkets/LFR stuff so I think I can out dps him, but he is also not as good at tanking, but does it really matter what tank we use for this. I feel like with my CD's I'd be good for it, just unglyph divine prot, all kinds of good stuff :D

I was thinking if we had everyone pot on first tendon with healer/tank dps it could die in one with the 10 percent nerf. plus one tanking should be easier with taking less damage too.

I know can't do 1 every time, but just getting 5 plates would signifigantly make the fight easier.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:07 am

I don't feel like that first plate is even the hard part and there really isn't much raid damage at this early point of the fight.

Granted, one lift = less grips which could be a potential gain.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby gomashon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:46 am

The bloods are the biggest issue in this fight.
Blood keep spawning endlessly, at increasing rate on the second plate and at a very increased rate on the third plate.
There is only one way to get rid of bloods and that is to kill them, have an amalgamation soak up the residue and then kill or throw off the amag.
Other bloods will respawn sooner or later if they are killed. Killing a blood reduces the tank damage for a while (until it comes back) but the blood does an AOE explosion when it dies.

There are basically 4 things people have been doing to help deal with bloods:
    1. Do everything fast. Shorter fight = less bloods spawn. Method's kill video is a good example of this execution in 25man (just watch how fast they do rolls etc). This approach simply does anything possible to reduce the total fight length.

2. Kill a lot of bloods just prior to a roll, have a bunch of amalgamation come soak up the residue and then get thrown off. amalgamation that reach 9 stacks will AOE and raid cds will be needed to counter that. Obviously tank damage will go up as well and tank cds and/or kiting can help there. Most do this after the first tendon dies, some do it also after the second tendon dies.

3. Kiting bloods - when there are too many bloods and the tank will die from tanking them or healing that tank becomes a too demanding task, you can have 1 tank run laps on deathwing's back using stuns and abilities like leap/charge to kite them around. The bloods can't be slowed but they aren't very fast either. The kiting tank takes very little damage except for big spikes when all the bloods catch him and all land a hit at almost the same time.

4. There seems to be a 'glitch' where an amalgamation that does not yet have 9 stacks can pick up several residues at the same time even if the extra residues will surpass 9 stacks. Example amalgamation is at 7 stacks, steps on a a group of 5 residues picking all up and reaching 9 stacks. Its nothing major but can get rid a few bloods (we personally never really bothered with this).
Last edited by gomashon on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Group Therapy (Ravencrest-EU), 2 raid days per week, 8/8 25-Heroic, always recruiting.
gomashon

Postby Grommash » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:47 am

Getting an amalgamation to absorb more than 9 especially during the second plate is pretty crucial for us and is typically what we do to setup a clean entry into the last plate. If we do a good job cleaning them up before the second tendon is dead and then proceed to have very few up during the last roll, well it typically sets us up for a win.

It's obviously not necessary on the first plate because you should be able to keep up with killing bloods. The third plate is pretty much survival mode and we only kill as many bloods as we need too. Unless you can realistically down the last tendon in one lift, I suggest that people prioritize amalgamation DPS over tendon DPS on the last phase. As said the limiting factor to the last plate is the insane rate at which bloods spawn. To limit this you either have to kill them or kill the boss quicker. Considering how low your raids health is at this point it's not recommend to keep up with the blood spawn by killing them, nor can you keep up with them for any extended period of time.

Prior to the nerfs a lot of the challenge of the last plate was having to hold onto a lot of DPS CDs for the tendon in order to beat it in two lifts. This was hard because the bloods would be piling up as you couldn't really afford to blow major DPS CDs on the amalgamation. With the tendon HP change you can now use CDs on the amalgamation to make the third plate go faster, knowing that lust and minor CDs are going to give you two lifts anyway. Shorter time between the lifts means less bloods, which is more or less the hard part of the third plate. So yeah, for us it's perfectly acceptable to use whatever means necessary (except lust) to kill the last 2 amalgamations as quickly as possible.
Grommash

Postby Limelife » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:25 am

I raid with a Warrior in my raid i am a pally. I was wondering what is better for the bloods on Plate 3 Pally or Warrior. They have me tanking Amalg and Warrior is on blood currently.
Limelife

Postby stevos » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:12 am

How are you picking up the blobs, if your kiting.

Right now we are struggling between the 2nd and 3rd plate, i am just getting overwhelmed by blobs.

If i try to kite them, i just don't have enough ranged abilities to pick up the endless stream of blobs spawning.

I was watching kill vids of DK tanks doing it, and there massively larger D&D helps a lot.

Any tips?
stevos

Postby jekoh » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:19 pm

If you are overwhelmed so soon it seems that your group doesn't clean properly the room by dpsing the blood in one side and you don't clean the floor with amalgams 1-2 seconds before to say them byebye. My guild said that I was good with my garbage truck to clean the dog shits on the ground, this is how they summarize my job on this fight ahahah.

If you do the fight with only one tank, you should not kite before the last 20sec of the fight with the last tendon, your dps should quick enough to kill amalgams and clean you from two many adds sometimes. Don't forget as grommash said you can stack more than 9 if bloods are well packed and dead in the same place

If you do it 2 tanks, the first tank should start kiting when you start to dps for the first time the 3rd tendon and the second tank take the amalgam and all new blobs coming on him or on healers packed with him.
Time is running on the 3rd tendon and the fight will be soon destroyed when people with pots and bloodlust will be able to kill this 3rd tendon in only one phase with the nerf
jekoh

Postby Phonic » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Anyone have a log of 2-healing it?
Phonic

Postby Fenrìr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:57 am

Stevos, you don't necessarily need to have a lot of ranged abilities to pick up the blobs. It's just about using what you have.

3 Bounce shield, consecrate, holy wrath, judgement, both taunts and probably the most important, Hammer of Righteousness.

I pick up the ~majority~ of bloods that spawn when I start to kite, but once I start to kite, I just pick up what I can and let my OT tank the rest. I do a holy wrath stun on top of him to maybe peal some of the adds, but if I don't, I'll taunt and pick up what I can, then just go back to kiting.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby daishan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:13 am

Hey all
My guild has finally got to spine (4 melee on ship is bad...) just wondering about a few things.
If i'm kiting the bloods do you think hallowed ground is worth it?
Would you use the spine dodge trinket or the FL stay for the clicky?
Is it right that no slows work on the bloods? dazing shield?
My armoury http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... n/advanced
And what do you think to my druid co tank taking bloods instead? He seems to think his self heal (savage defence I think) is very good with lots of ads.

Thx in advance for any advice
Daish
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Winkle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:12 am

daishan wrote:Hey all
My guild has finally got to spine (4 melee on ship is bad...) just wondering about a few things.
If i'm kiting the bloods do you think hallowed ground is worth it?
Would you use the spine dodge trinket or the FL stay for the clicky?
Is it right that no slows work on the bloods? dazing shield?
My armoury http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... n/advanced
And what do you think to my druid co tank taking bloods instead? He seems to think his self heal (savage defence I think) is very good with lots of ads.

Thx in advance for any advice
Daish

Well savage defense is a chance on crit, so the more mobs the more chances to crit. Plus your feral has charge and stampede, both nice for a bit of mobility.
Winkle

Postby Darielle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:32 am

A non-block tank is bloody painful on adds. Savage Defense scales down with number of mobs attacking.
Darielle

Postby Winkle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:43 am

Darielle wrote:A non-block tank is bloody painful on adds. Savage Defense scales down with number of mobs attacking.

I stand corrected.
Winkle

Postby Fenrìr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Just because he has a heal, doesn't make him better to kite. The purpose of kiting the bloods is to ~not~ be hit. There's no amount of self healing that will save him if 30+ bloods catch him and all swing at him at the same time.

I watch my health melt in 0.5 seconds when they catch up to me.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)