Guild Wars 2

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Aubade » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Eltiana wrote:And sheesh, there is a clear lack of hype here about this game. Suppose everyone is still having fun with their lightsabers and blasters. To each their own.

Meh, I just don't care about ANOTHER MMO. I'd rather play a console game =] To each their own though.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby ryan4nayr » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Aubade wrote:I'd rather play a console game =]

Me too, actually. I'd like to play in the comfort of my couch and big LED TV. I would like to just pick up a dual-shock controller with my feet propped up on the ottoman. I suppose I can just do that via bluetooth and my computer's HDMI output, so I'm not too obsessed over buying the console.

NCSoft and ArenaNet are sort of playing this tug-of-war of denying/confirming whether a console port will come. NCsoft would certainly want to expand to that market, but ArenaNet would wait before tackling new projects.

Anyway, it's fun to speculate. I'm glad this thread is still alive.
Last edited by ryan4nayr on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryan4nayr

Postby Aubade » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:58 am

ryan4nayr wrote:
Aubade wrote:I'd rather play a console game =]

Me too, actually. I'd like to play in the comfort of my couch and big LED TV. I would like to just pick up a dual-shock controller with my feet propped up on the ottoman. I suppose I can just do that via bluetooth and my computer's HDMI output, so I'm not too obsessed over buying the console.

NCSoft and ArenaNet are sort of playing this tug-of-war of denying/confirming whether a console port will come. NCsoft would certainly want to expand to that market, but ArenaNet would wait before tackling new projects.

Anyway, it's fun to speculate. I'm glad this thread is still alive.

Console port or not, I wouldn't play it.

Don't get me wrong, It looks like an awesome game (As does SW:TOR) but I just refuse to play another MMO. I let myself get very very addicted to WoW, and I know that if I pick up another one I'd go down the same road. (I CAN'T do casual in an MMO, I have to try to be the best.) I'm much happier playing console games, or PC Games that aren't MMO's because I can put them down for a day or two and not think "Oh man, I'm falling behind on farming" or "My guildmates/friends are gonna be pissed I'm not online right now."
I'm also a big fan of stories, so instead of being engrossed in one, I like the different worlds I get to experience with multi-gaming.
The fact that I can pause and run to the store in the middle of a game doesn't hurt either haha.

Anyways, In the interest of not de-railing the thread further, I'll ask to go back to GW2 talk after this post. Feel free to PM or whatnot if you'd like to continue this discussion though.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Era » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:30 am

I'm quite looking forward to GW2. I'm a little worried about my time schedule though, what with already being a guild and raid leader for a heroic progression guild in WoW.. And then, somewhat like Aubade, having the urge to always play my best in all games.

I haven't looked so much at the gameplay videos, since I kind of want to experience it in the beta/actual game. I have, however, watched the character customization videos, and damn that looks nice! I'm a huge fan of character customization, and GW2 seems to have exactly enough options (yes, there is such a thing as too much, Oblivion made that clear)!

Biggest question is what profession(class) to play. I played an elementalist for six years in GW1, but I really did enjoy mesmer as well - even though it was kind of shit in PvE for large periods of the game. If that works out better in GW2, I might just roll one as my main instead of ele.

Then again, assuming there'll be birthday gifts for chars like in GW1, I should probably make a character of all professions right off the bat. :D
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Gracerath » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 am

I've got my name in the hat for beta too. Hopefully I get a little luckier this time around. I didn't get to do a TOR beta until the very end. I'm most assuredly playing a Norn Warrior and my first alt will be an elementalist of some undetermined race. I'm really looking forward to the next round of beta events that will have some Asura and Sylvari stuff open.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Era » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:55 am

Ah yes, what race to choose... My elementalist will probably be human, sort of like a "descendant" of my original ele. The mesmer I think I'll make Sylvari, perhaps norn... Decisions, decisions! I'm going to spend hours on the char creation menu again...

You should see me doing a character recustomization on my paladin. :roll:
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Eltiana » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:45 am

Era wrote:I'm quite looking forward to GW2. I'm a little worried about my time schedule though, what with already being a guild and raid leader for a heroic progression guild in WoW.. And then, somewhat like Aubade, having the urge to always play my best in all games.

I think an important thing to remember is Guild Wars 2 has no sub fee, it isn't going to make you feel like you're losing money by not logging in every day. Also, even if you're time schedule is crammed now with WoW, there are always going to be times where there is just nothing going on also. That's just how WoW is.

I would love to get into beta, but I'm not holding my breath, I know a LOT Of people have thrown their name into the hat for this.

Finally, I realize it's a small thing, but I have to spend a second to gush over their overflow server system. Being able to play on a separate 'overflow server' instead of waiting in a queue and the ability to hop back onto the server you were 'queued' for when space opens up, while allowing you to keep all the progress you made on the overflow server is such an amazingly simple idea, I can't believe it hasn't been done before. System has the potential to make GW2 one of the first big MMOs where you aren't stuck waiting in a queue just to play on release.

Honestly, GW2 is doing some amazingly big things, but for me it's the many small things that GW2 is doing that impress me the most at times.
Eltiana

Postby bldavis » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:23 am

between the no sub fee and the fact im getting burned out on WoW ....
plus insanely fun looking gameplay

i just get more and more excited about this game

unfortunately i am like aubade a few others..
i am driven to be the best i can at any game i play
i do alot of research, and pray my skills catch up to where i want them to be

but i am also a massive altoholic, so take wow for an example
i have 10 85s on SC, plus 3 more toons im leveling on Terenas (eventually)
i do research into each, know how to play each reasonably well in at least one spec (most are 2 or all 3 specs)

in SWTOR...i want to level all the ACs, one on Empire and one on Republic for each class
in GW2 i already know i will be leveling at least 3 characters, probably 5
(mesmer, engineer, warrior, necromancer, and elementalist, with thief as a possible 6th)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Eltiana » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:14 am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arenanet/6 ... hotostream

Close to 1 million beta sign ups...withing 48 hours...Good luck everyone lol.
Eltiana

Postby ryan4nayr » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:16 pm

Eltiana wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/arenanet/6926243899/in/photostream

lol !

Would be a little scary if all of those bought the game :shock: But also FRIGGIN AWESOME!

I'm watching all these GameBreaker.tv videos re: press beta. I'm actually waiting for any negative comments & see how ArenaNet addresses them in the future.
Last edited by ryan4nayr on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryan4nayr

Postby Eltiana » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:31 pm

ryan4nayr wrote:
Eltiana wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/arenanet/6926243899/in/photostream

lol !

Would be a little scary if all of those bought the game :shock: But also FRIGGIN AWESOME!

I'm watching all these GameBreaker.tv videos re: press beta. I'm actually waiting for any negative comments & see how ArenaNet addresses them in the future.

You'll be waiting a while. I've been watching and reading up on a lot and the only real complaints I've been hearing about are mainly lag issues, but then, it's a beta that isn't optimized. The other complaint I've heard is too much particle effects, but I know in one of their latest interviews Arenanet said they were going to work on that.
Eltiana

Postby Gracerath » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:13 am

If you visit certain forums (GW2Guru for example) you'll find plenty of negativity. It actually pisses me off. I hate arm chair developers. They try to make a bunch of suggestions or observations of classes being over/underpowered without playing the game themselves. They are judging their views based on the people playing who largely don't know the finer points of the combat tactics (such as dodging, avoiding circles of death, etc). They demand sweeping changes or an entire overhaul of a class. The mesmer section is particularly hilarious in a sad way.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby ryan4nayr » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:26 am

Gracerath wrote:If you visit certain forums (GW2Guru for example) you'll find plenty of negativity.

ArenaNet, in their infinite wisdom, knew this years ago & didn't want any part of this on any official forum :lol: I figure I'd listen more to semi-professional semi-journalists rather than forum monkeys who have nothing better to do with their days.

I resubscribed to WoW for 3 months just to check out the Cata changes (game cards FTW) ... I'd rather watch these beta videos than play.
Last edited by ryan4nayr on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryan4nayr

Postby bldavis » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:34 am

my only complaint is too many particle effects, other than that i am withholding judgement until i actually play

i have full faith in Arenanet and dont foresee any major balance issues though

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby rodos » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:58 pm

The graphics and art design look fantastic. Much more realistic than WoW but still with a appealing softness that's lacking from a lot of games. It's like an oil painting come to life. I'm willing to give it a try based on that alone.

My main worry is that the combat system will be too "twitchy" for my ability level, and too latency-sensitive. Playing WoW from Australia leads to all kinds of silliness on timing and position sensitive effects (e.g. To avoid Asaad's static cling you have to jump so early that you've landed again by the time his cast goes off, and anything that requires manual aiming is particularly tedious).

I'm also not much of a one for PvP, which seems to be the primary end-game focus of GW2. Out of all the BGs though, I like the big ones like AV the best, so perhaps WvWvW will be fun. Level and gear normalization should make casual PvP a lot more viable than it is in WoW too.
rodos

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games