Remove Advertisements

[Shadow Priest] Guide/Rotation

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Shadow Priest] Guide/Rotation

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:37 am

That's how I understand it, yes.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:03 am

I'm trying this out... just saying omg
And the MS/MB phase only lasted a total of 20 seconds.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Rhiannon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:39 am

Worldie wrote:I'm trying this out... just saying omg
And the MS/MB phase only lasted a total of 20 seconds.

Warden and I did mention it back on page 3 ;). Whether it's always a gain to do this is still not totally clear cut, but definitely doing it off the pull it should be, snd on any fight with a vulnerability phase (e.g. Hagara, Spine).
Rhiannon

Postby Worldie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:10 am

Well as you have seen, on Ultrax hc i've managed barely 34k without this, while on LFR Ultraxion i've almost hit 36k without flask / pots / hero.

Quite confident it's a good dps gain, at least for me.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Darielle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:21 am

Yeah, I'd assumed you'd seen it earlier. That'll get you a fair bit of the way to where you want to be.
You should be able to line up an Archangel with a SF right as you're about to get him to 25% most of the time.

That Shadow Priest who got DI instead of Rove is so lucky. Then again, I wish we had a Warlock to begin with.
Darielle

Postby Worldie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:10 am

Tbh I have to argue with our 2nd warlock who insists our Fire mage gets his DI because he has legendary and does more DPS. I wish I could strangle him.

How does 24k dps on dummy sound? I'm having huge mana problems by lineing up every other AA with shadowfiend.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Darielle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:31 am

Oh, bear in mind that if you can, you'll want to get Lusts for later Shadowfiends anyway after you pop them, so that'll get you more mana.

ALSO remember when doing this, since you'll have instant Mind Blast, you need to make sure that you let your Shadowfiend hit between the last Mind Spike and the Mind Blast, or you'll just Mind Blast with no Orbs and be like "F U". The key thing is to definitely be on top of SW:D use later on, as long as you aren't quite oom by 25%, you'll wind up being fine.

AFAIK, delaying AA (unless it's like 5 seconds ish) to line it up is a dps loss though, but I've seen people argue both ways on that.
Darielle

Postby Worldie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:03 am

Rather than delaying AA which turned out as a huge loss expecially if no luck on MF crits, I was thinking of delaying SF to line up with every 2nd AA (effectively delaying it by 30 or so seconds)

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:40 am

Darielle wrote:ALSO remember when doing this, since you'll have instant Mind Blast, you need to make sure that you let your Shadowfiend hit between the last Mind Spike and the Mind Blast, or you'll just Mind Blast with no Orbs and be like "F U".

You can macro /cancelaura mind melt into your Mind Blast as with 33% haste (which I guess you're fairly close to with raid buffs) mind blast becomes a 1s cast anyway. So it's like:

0.00 cast Mind Spike 1
1.00 Mind Spike 1 hits, cast Mind Spike 2
2.00 Mind Spike 2 hits, cast Mind Blast
3.00 Mind Blast hits, cast Mind Spike 3
4.00 Mind Spike 3 hits, cast Mind Spike 4

rather than

0.00 cast Mind Spike 1
2.00 Mind Spike 2 hits, cast Mind Blast, Mind Blast hits (no way shadowfiend can land a hit between Mind Spike 2 and Mind Blast hitting)
3.00 cast Mind Spike 3

That way you get a full second during which your shadowfiend can land a hit before the Mind Blast lands without having to delay your casts at all - though due to a slight delay in mind melt applying to your character you might still have to delay a fifth of a second or so - better than up to a whole second you might have to wait for another shadowfiend melee hit.
Rhiannon

Postby Darielle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Rhiannon wrote:
Darielle wrote:ALSO remember when doing this, since you'll have instant Mind Blast, you need to make sure that you let your Shadowfiend hit between the last Mind Spike and the Mind Blast, or you'll just Mind Blast with no Orbs and be like "F U".

You can macro /cancelaura mind melt into your Mind Blast as with 33% haste (which I guess you're fairly close to with raid buffs) mind blast becomes a 1s cast anyway. So it's like:

0.00 cast Mind Spike 1
2.00 Mind Spike 2 hits, cast Mind Blast
3.00 Mind Blast hits, cast Mind Spike 3

rather than

0.00 cast Mind Spike 1
2.00 Mind Spike 2 hits, cast Mind Blast, Mind Blast hits (no way shadowfiend can land a hit between Mind Spike 2 and Mind Blast hitting)
3.00 cast Mind Spike 3

That way you get a full second during which your shadowfiend can land a hit before the Mind Blast lands without having to delay your casts at all - though due to a slight delay in mind melt applying to your character you might still have to delay a fifth of a second or so - better than up to a whole second you might have to wait for another shadowfiend melee hit.

I've found with that that you still wind up having Mind Melt stacks anyway unless you wait for the last Spike's Melt to come up, and if you're doing that then you might as well not Cancelaura to begin with.
But that's personal experience, and since I play from NZ, that's going to be wildly different in terms of latency to other people. As long as he's aware of it and the options, he should be able to see which handles it better for him.

Rather than delaying AA which turned out as a huge loss expecially if no luck on MF crits, I was thinking of delaying SF to line up with every 2nd AA (effectively delaying it by 30 or so seconds)

I haven't seen any math on it, and I've never tried it, but hunch tells me that's also enough of a dps loss to outweigh it.

Unless it was specifically in the situation where you'd wind up putting a Shadowfiend out 30 seconds before the fight ended, so delaying the Shadowfiend makes no difference because you would have had only 3 Shadowfiends anyway, and even delaying it you'll have 3 Fiends. If in delaying that Fiend, you wind up delaying hard enough to remove the chance of a 4th Fiend, that's when it's probably not worth it.
Darielle

Postby Worldie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 am

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Darielle » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:03 pm

That should translate to roughly 35k-36k on Heroic
Darielle

Postby warden » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Our guild Spriest (Settesh, if you want to look in the logs) has a complicated but effective castsequence macro that optimizes his burn phase to get those swings/crits right... I could probably ask him for it if you want.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:53 pm

I'm getting some practice on it

Darielle wrote:That should translate to roughly 35k-36k on Heroic

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-f2h4t ... 48&e=13105
36400 without DI is the best I've been able to do on Ultrax hc, but it's almost 3k more than previous week, so I say it's working.

The burst phase is interestingly challenging to manage, as I have to first align AA with SF (not always possible), and secondary, try to maximize MB usage... best I've been able to perform so far is 3 90% crit 3 orb MB...

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Darielle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Neat!

Also, why your Bear doesn't go Cat for the first minute of the fight? After he gets Thrall buff, there's no Fading Light until after the first Hour, he can be Kitty during this time. :(
Darielle

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes