Windwalk, outdated?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Windwalk, outdated?

Postby oldboyz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:57 am

RDPS in madness solved in our raid10 : 1tank - 3heal (we do it with a DK or paltank)

with this approach, tank priority is survive, not dps
(-empale is managed by CD)
-the 2 bigbadboy in the end is all about a dedicated survival tank :mrgreen:

(we also made some try with 2tank 2heal, but at that time, heals weren't able to handle dmg on the last platform. it might work now with our 2 most valuable healeur, but i'm sure it generate much more stress. In this case, having one tank with a dps approach can be helpfull)
oldboyz

Postby theckhd » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:01 am

We've always has the best luck with 1 tank and 2 healers in 10-man madness. It's one of those fights where DPS overhead buys you a lot of breathing room, because all the dangerous parts occur when things live too long. Burning down the tentacles before the second impale, obliterating the Blistering Tentacles in under 10 seconds, etc.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby GMPoison » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:50 am

I use [Resolve of Undying] and [Fire of the Deep] for trinkets, (Prot Paladin 397 ilvl) and I have been considering this.

When the stacks of Dodge from Resolve are up (which is all the time) I am CTC capped, and when Windwalking procs I am far above it. I know Vengeance does damage, but it's looking like Landslide would be more usefull. Since the prov from Windwalking isnt usefull, and the damage isnt as high as Landslide, I think I'm going to make the switch, and see how it goes!!!
GMPoison

Postby theckhd » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:28 am

I wouldn't say the proc from Windwalk isn't useful. It's just not very useful. It's still extra dodge, which translates to less damage taken. The problem is that it's doubly random (it's a proc, and it's dodge), so it's not controllable.

I swap back and forth between Windwalk and Landslide depending on what the fight needs. There are a few fights where the DPS increase from Landslide is meaningless, but dodging an attack here or there can make a difference (H. Yor'sahj, H. Zonozz, H. Warmaster come to mind). I use windwalk for those. There are a few fights where dodging extra attacks is meaningless (H. Zonozz off-tanking, H. Ultraxion, H. Hagara, H. Lolchok, H. Spine blood-tanking), so I use Landslide for those.

If you don't have two Souldrinkers to swap between, pick whichever you think is more useful for your guild's progression. Neither is really a "wrong" choice, IMO, because both give you fairly hard-to-quantify benefits.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice