Need some advice please

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Need some advice please

Postby Rwolfe88 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:44 pm

I am trying to decide on a main I have 2 toons but no time for 2 so I have to pick one

I want to pve as tank an pvp as melee no other specs

I have a dk an a feral what do you think would work best to perform both roles?

Please any advice or anything good or bad you have seen is greatly appreciated
Rwolfe88

Re: Need some advice please

Postby Amirya » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Which one do you like to play more?

There's your answer.

(I've seen successful DK tanks, and fail DK tanks. I've seen successful bear tanks, and fail bear tanks.)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby poptart » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 am

You will typically have less competition for Agility leather gear than you will for Plate gear in most 5-man runs going forward. And in MoP once the "rogue" legendary craze is over, your competition for Agility leather in LFR will probably slow down a bit as well.

Also, I think the overlap from Guardian to Feral gear is a bit closer than the overlap from plate tank gear to plate DPS gear. Granted, you said you wanted to DPS in PvP so there may not really be any overlap regardless of armor type but if you were doing PvE DPS...

Anyway, I would probably pick the Druid because I preceive that gear up would be easier.

Poptart
poptart

Postby Shoju » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:34 am

It really will come down to what you find the most enjoyable. I main changed from my paladin to a Death Knight in 4.1 because I hated what Cata did to the paladin, and I loved my Death Knight.

For me, the main change at a "mechanic" level was easy, and I feel that I'm twice the DK I was as a paladin, and the choice was easy. My only reservations have been purely non mechanic based.

Personally, Even though I have groaned about things over and over, I wouldn't let something like "who is going to roll against me" dictate my decision. Find what you like to do in the game. Take the 2 choices through those options, and see what you enjoy more.

For me, I love to

tank.
Solo stuff.
DPS.

In that order really. In 4.1 when it came time to decide what I was going to main change, that was the criteria I used. in 4.3 when I went from tank to DPS main spec, I applied the same criteria.

When I tried to look at other criteria, it muddied the points, and I started thinking about other things. And while I agree that raiding is a team effort, and you need to make sure your raiding team is taken care of, I made the move to DK tank, and then DPS purely for personal reasons.

It was the best tanking option I had leveled at 4.1 because it was what I was best at.
it was the best DPS option I had at 4.3 because it was what I was best at.

And I'm now, with my time in the game drawing to a close, having more fun in Cataclysm than I have in a REALLY long time. I've stopped trying to play for others. I'm playing for myself. I only have a few more things that I would like to finish up before my time in the game is up in 5.0. Some of those I will be able to handle, others.... I'm not sure.
Shoju

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 am

The pessemistic part of me is wondering when the next post or the edit will occur to make it a bot advertisement that was better executed that some previous ones... lol
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Rwolfe88 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:53 pm

I am a real person with a real question, i am not going to edit an put a add in its place

Thank you for the replies, i still have not picked yet

i dont mind having friendly competition on rolls
Rwolfe88

Postby bldavis » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:23 pm

like others have said, pick what you like
sure i chose to tank on my bear vs my warrior when my guild started raiding in cata, but that is because i enjoyed both, i enjoy both of thier os, and it would cut down on gear competition with my pally co tank

pick one you enjoy and run with it
look at it this way
you can either do something you enjoy (like bear for me, or dk tanking for shoju) and have fun in the game
or you can do something you dont enjoy as much (dk for me and pally for shoju for example) and you wont have as much fun
and eventually...you will begin to resent the game

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Shoju » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:25 pm

bldavis wrote:like others have said, pick what you like
sure i chose to tank on my bear vs my warrior when my guild started raiding in cata, but that is because i enjoyed both, i enjoy both of thier os, and it would cut down on gear competition with my pally co tank

pick one you enjoy and run with it
look at it this way
you can either do something you enjoy (like bear for me, or dk tanking for shoju) and have fun in the game
or you can do something you dont enjoy as much (dk for me and pally for shoju for example) and you wont have as much fun
and eventually...you will begin to resent the game

Bolded the important part. I "stuck" with my paladin for waaaaaaay too long. I should have main changed immediately after the beta and I didn't like it.
Shoju

Postby Kelaan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Rwolfe88 wrote:I am trying to decide on a main I have 2 toons but no time for 2 so I have to pick one

I want to pve as tank an pvp as melee no other specs

Why not use two characters?

Aside from the time to level them, the time you spend working for PvP vs the time you spend working on PvE are entirely separate. (Well, you can buy honor or conquest w/ justice or valor... but it's rarely wise long-term if you care about both.) The only gains I can see are consolidated dailies, but even then those aren't a huge gain for PvP (as PvP arcanums are bought with honor too).

For example, my main does arenas, and I also tank (or I would if I had time). They're effectively completely separate: whenever I log in I have to decide whether to PvE or PvP. It doesn't seem all that different from doing them on different toons (if I had different toons at 85 that I wanted to play). In general, any time spent doing PvP has no effect on PvE, so I don't see a benefit for consolidating on one toon. In fact, I'd almost rather have the extra inventory space of not needing three sets of gear.

I would say figure out what you want to PVP with (bonus if you have high level toons to experiment with now), and then look at either how they tank, or just use two toons.
Kelaan

Postby bldavis » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Shoju wrote:Bolded the important part. I "stuck" with my paladin for waaaaaaay too long. I should have main changed immediately after the beta and I didn't like it.

when i got to that point in Wrath, i went from tanking on my pally to dpsing on my lock
and then onto doing both ... tanking pugs and dpsing guild runs

anyway....
the point is if you arent having fun, why do what you are doing?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Shoju » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:20 am

bldavis wrote:
Shoju wrote:Bolded the important part. I "stuck" with my paladin for waaaaaaay too long. I should have main changed immediately after the beta and I didn't like it.

when i got to that point in Wrath, i went from tanking on my pally to dpsing on my lock
and then onto doing both ... tanking pugs and dpsing guild runs

anyway....
the point is if you arent having fun, why do what you are doing?

For me, I was hoping that they would change something. After 4.1 brought no changes that made it more fun, off I went.
Shoju

Postby Aoaga » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:30 am

I am agreeing with Shoju here, was a Maintankadin for most of Wrath for guild Raids. Fun times, great times actually. I would frequently switch between Ret and Holy to run randoms or heal old stuff for fun. For JC/Hodir dailies I liked to have Ret off-spec (before you could just stay Prot and destroy stuff with ease). Unfortunately Ret to me feels totally boring now, totally waiting for procs or for CS to be off CD. Boooooooring….and since I have severe case of ADD this will not do.

So I like many switched……Feral Druid baby…..Tank/DpS hybrid spec for random tanking/DPSing with a Resto Off spec for the occasional healing. I’ll never be top of the Charts DPS wise, but I can tank well and DPS well (competitive at least), oh yeah, And I can heal, and Battle Res guys up with 100 percent health.

I have yet to investigate the whole Balance side of Druid-ing, but if I wanna play a caster (and one who doesn’t look like a big chicken) Ill hop on a mage.
Aoaga

Return to General