Things to do before Pandaclysm

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Things to do before Pandaclysm

Postby poptart » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:02 am

Skye1013 wrote:I get bored enough leveling through questing as is... I don't know that I could handle doing it without dungeons/pvp to break up the monotony.

Well, I have to admit, I have only leveled one toon since Cata started and it was a Prot Warrior where I did the first 15 levels via the Goblin starting zone/new Ashaza and have done only about 50 non-instance quests since then (all in HFP/Zangermarsh/Terrokar Forest for TBC gear).

I am sort of excited to see some of the new Cata zones and their revamped quest hubs for the first 60 levels, honestly.

Ugh, money for upscaled cloth for the best Bandages possible is going to be an issue with zero professions and zero cash transfer from existing toons. And money for riding but that should not be much of an issue.

Ugh, I guess I cannot use any of the gifted account-wide mounts either. Gotta buy that flying mount instead of using the Pegasus.

Poptart
poptart

Postby poptart » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:03 am

halabar wrote:
poptart wrote:All good suggestions.

Hunter it is and Bloodarrows is born, the Orc Hunter (because Orc is the only race that I don't have yet as a high level character. Well, besides Panda! :) ).

Good call on the mana issue. I was pretty much narrowing down to Hunter or Rogue for that reason but I think keepting things at range and having a tank helped with the decision.

You get a bonus to pet damage with the Orc, which will work well for this. Read the rules, make sure you can use that racial cooldown.

Pretty sure you can use racial CDs/abilities. And class learned abilities but that is it.

I am SO glad that you no longer have to purchase each rank of your abilities and they scale automatically. That would suck the gold out of this project for sure.

Poptart
poptart

Postby Shoju » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:08 am

My reasoning for going with a shaman is that they carry a shield, and have heals, which could in an emergency save your life... maybe.

I tried to do something like this with some friends at the end of WotLK. We were doing "naked" toons. I tried to do a warrior tank wearing all whites and greys. I hated it.
Shoju

Postby Chicken » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Downside to the Shaman is the mana in my eyes. Your heals and your damage both draw from the same resource, and you don't get it replenishing through your melee attacks by being Enhancement, or a larger pool size from gear due to the rules of that challenge. It's still a fairly good class for it, but hunter still seems best.
Chicken

Postby Flex » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Chicken wrote:Downside to the Shaman is the mana in my eyes. Your heals and your damage both draw from the same resource, and you don't get it replenishing through your melee attacks by being Enhancement, or a larger pool size from gear due to the rules of that challenge. It's still a fairly good class for it, but hunter still seems best.

If you can make it to level 32 as a Paladin you're set. Train Seal of Insight and you should really never die. Plus you start out with Crusader Strike and get Word of Glory at level 9.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Kelaan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:54 pm

I'd almost even say that holy paladin, since you can heal yourself nearly nonstop if you wanted to, might work better than the others... but I don't know how well the mana pool would hold up compared to, say, ret.
Kelaan

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:19 am

Kelaan wrote:I'd almost even say that holy paladin, since you can heal yourself nearly nonstop if you wanted to, might work better than the others... but I don't know how well the mana pool would hold up compared to, say, ret.

No talents; meaning you're effectively all three specs, and none of them at the same time.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby poptart » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:24 am

Skye1013 wrote:
Kelaan wrote:I'd almost even say that holy paladin, since you can heal yourself nearly nonstop if you wanted to, might work better than the others... but I don't know how well the mana pool would hold up compared to, say, ret.

No talents; meaning you're effectively all three specs, and none of them at the same time.

Yeah, that is the "sticking point" IMO for taking any of the hybrid classes; their abilites are really geared off of making that level 10 specialization choice. A pure DPS class is, I think, much less dependant on that choice to make or break their play ability.

Got to level 9 on the Hunter and am just now beginning to feel the difference just a bit. Up until now, quest rewards awarded white gear so was good. I am now getting to the point where the only purpose of a quest reward is to get the one that sells for the most gold to sell it since they are all beginning to be green with stats on them.

This is going to be interesting. I need to research as to how often and at what levels Blizzard put in new, vendor purchsed "white" gear sets and plan to have the cash to purchase them; especially ranged weapons.

Heh, I already had one high level toon "helpfully" inform me that green gear was better than white gear.....heh.....

Poptart
poptart

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:13 am

poptart wrote:Up until now, quest rewards awarded white gear so was good.

That might be the other thing.. Which classes have the best white gear available to them? You might actually buy some of that white gear that some vendor sell, lol
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby poptart » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:15 am

halabar wrote:
poptart wrote:Up until now, quest rewards awarded white gear so was good.

That might be the other thing.. Which classes have the best white gear available to them? You might actually buy some of that white gear that some vendor sell, lol

Lol, that is all the gear upgrades that I am every going to get after about levels 10-12. White gear just really does not drop outside of instances and since I cannot go into instances...

Poptart
poptart

Postby bldavis » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:18 am

im doing this on a shaman, but im thinking about doing a pally or a hunter (oo or a rogue, if i can make it high enough for recuperate!)

orcs/trolls get a dps perk as a hunter
dranei and forsaken get health regen
dwarfs get defensive cd

honestly i think it comes down to picking the right race/class combo

edit: just thought id check on say hunter weapons purchasable via vendor....
there is a 30 level gap with no new weapon from a vendor :?
Wowhead search

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:37 am

poptart wrote:Yeah, that is the "sticking point" IMO for taking any of the hybrid classes; their abilites are really geared off of making that level 10 specialization choice.

Eh, Paladins are fairly well off. Pick ret and nothing really lives long enough for you to use Templer's Verdict. Prot is unneeded for leveling, Holy gets a spell power based attack and a no cooldown Word of Glory which would actually be the best for this challenge since Word of Glory doesn't require mana.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:49 am

the problem with that is you cant pick a talent spec even

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Kelaan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:00 am

poptart wrote:This is going to be interesting. I need to research as to how often and at what levels Blizzard put in new, vendor purchsed "white" gear sets and plan to have the cash to purchase them; especially ranged weapons.

All white 2H/ranged weapons. (Greys don't show for some reason.)
http://www.wowhead.com/items=2?filter=qu=1;sl=15:17;si=1;ub=3;gb=1#ranged:0+3-2+1

I only included ranged weapons and polearms: presumably the burst damage from the 2H is better than extended DW action, but I could be wrong.

Items sold by a vendor:
http://www.wowhead.com/items=2?filter=qu=1;sl=15:17;si=1;ub=3;cr=92;crs=1;crv=0;gb=1#ranged:0+3+1

There may be more, it only shows 25 which I think is an artificial cutoff. You can obviously filter by level. Good call on hunter, btw, that seems to be a strong choice.
Kelaan

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:05 am

bldavis wrote:the problem with that is you cant pick a talent spec even

So? Base paladin abilities are fairly Holy oriented level 7 you get Holy Light, level 9 you get Word of Glory which is the most important part for a mana using hybrid class as it doesn't use your resource pool.

Leveling a hunter was the most frustrating experience I ever had until I could glyph Misdirection. But being a completely neutered hunter it might not suck as much.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General