Remove Advertisements

Illidan's Shear Ability

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Illidan's Shear Ability

Postby Eeva » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:45 am

I was almost in a situation to tank Illidan last night and was questioning my ability to avoid Shear. How exactly does it work?

I am under the assumption the ability will not effect you if you block or completely avoid the attack, correct? I am also understanding you need an additional 5% cause he does not have a default 5% miss. So, to avoid Shear, you need 107.4%+ total avoidance.

So, Miss(from Defense), Dodge, Parry, and Block need to be over 107.4%? Is that correct?
Eeva

Postby Chorus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:10 am

From what I understand, Shear cannot be subject to the 'miss' portion of your combat table, which is 5% + whatever you get from defense.

So, in order to guarantee not getting Sheared, your Dodge + Parry + Block must meet or exceed the 102.4% point.

I could be wrong on this, if so, someone who has actually tanked him can point it out.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... w&n=Chorus
Chorus <Dissension>, 80 Paladin of Bleeding Hollow
Chorus

Postby Lore » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:13 am

Chorus wrote:From what I understand, Shear cannot be subject to the 'miss' portion of your combat table, which is 5% + whatever you get from defense.

So, in order to guarantee not getting Sheared, your Dodge + Parry + Block must meet or exceed the 102.4% point.

I could be wrong on this, if so, someone who has actually tanked him can point it out.

Correct. The attack just can't miss, regardless of where the miss is coming from.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Neuron » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:16 am

Last post mostly correct. This is covered in other threads though so you might want to do some reading first. It should also be noted that the mechanics of shear are not explicitly stated anywhere in the game files, the explanation of shear is entirely theoretical but it has been proven hundreds of times now so its generally accepted as correct:

* Shear is a special attack that cannot miss.
* Illidan is a level 73 NPC.
* Shear is applied when Illidan is performing the special attack and it lands without being blocked or avoided.
* The miss% accounted through the hit table of illidan against the tank considers both the 5% base miss chance as well as the miss chance added from your defense.

If you have about 10% total chance to be missed (base + your defense) and are at 102.4% uncrushable, then you need to make up for that 10% chance by having more block, dodge, or parry, as miss is not counted.
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby Eeva » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:20 am

I read the Illidan thread, but didnt see it stated.

Ok, so the ability can not miss at all. So, a tank would need like 113% total avoidance cause you would have ~10.5% miss.

Ok, thanks. I was not too sure about the Miss from Defense. I guess a miss is a miss, hehe.

Thanks again.
Eeva

Postby Aetherial » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:23 am

Yep, and if you upgrade or change out your gear, make sure you recalculate where you need to be... the "uncrushable calculator" macro is great for this, as is TankPoints.

Don't be a nub like me and forget to change your libram >.<
Aetherial

Postby Zeels » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:07 am

By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Gerilith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:38 pm

As the Shear ability cannot miss and the 2,4% over 100% come from defense negated by weapon skill, you will only need 101.8% without miss to be immune to Shear.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby enbee » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:16 am

Aetherial wrote:
Don't be a nub like me and forget to change your libram >.<

Heh, happened to me aswell this week, I kept on the shahraz libram and I got sheared on an enrage, luckily I avoided everything but an offhand hit *phew*, else I would've had some pissed off raiders on my back for lengthening this weeks schedule cause of a wipe :x
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Oramac » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:24 am

is that updated for 2.3.2 yet? as the patch is today? lol
Aplus wrote:Yeah every time I get a big head, I go and try to solo a warlock.brings me back down to earth pretty fast
Oramac

Postby Lave » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:10 pm

do you use holy shield when he casts shear? or do you try to have an 100% uptime.

i got 2 very unlucky shears today between hs fade an hs gain (combat log said both happened
in the same moment.. with me beeing affected by shear 0.02seconds later :? )
Lave

Postby Lore » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:11 pm

I generally go for 100% uptime, but yeah I've had that happen.

Unless he's enraged, Shear isn't a wipe, it's just taxing on your healers, and I'd rather have the extra threat and mitigation all the time.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby enbee » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:31 pm

I keep holy shield up 100% of the time aswell, you have to be very unlucky to get hs down > shear > hs up
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Aetherial » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:38 am

I keep it up probably 95% of the time, I occasionally delay recasting a second to make sure that HS is staggered enough to prevent an unlucky recast/Shear combo.

When we were first learning the fight, I ate a couple of Shears due to the recast/Shear badness... our healers didn't deal with it very well (i.e. I went down faster than... well, use your favorite mom reference here), so at least for my guild, I'll trade the missed second or so of HS coverage to prevent what tends to be a guaranteed tank death for us.

That being said, eventhough I know that I'm protected, my bladder still jerks every time I see Shear casting. It's kind of like that little quiver women get when their period is a day late despite The Pill, condoms, and having the poor guy pull out... or the one that guys get when their girlfriend calls up and says "honey, I'm late..."
Aetherial

Postby Trenzador » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:46 am

I made this macro to test if you were able to beat shears. It is basically the same as the crushing blow macro but adapted to check shear uncrushability.

Remember to debuff, hit HS and then hit macro

------------------------
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 101.8 combined avoidance to beat SHEAR. Currently at:",0.8,0.8,1)
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance())
------------------------

I got sheared once between HS down/up but healers healed and I hit LoH for extra security. I was not watching Illidan casting as I tried to move far enough for priests to send in shadow fiends. Lesson learnt.
Trenzador

Next

Return to Black Temple