resolve of undying

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: resolve of undying

Postby theckhd » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 am

Treck wrote:If theres any fight you choose a mastery trinket for its passive ctc, resolve of undying would likely result in more CTC, and especially more dmg reduction since its 100% avoiding damage instead of just a block.

That's actually fairly unlikely. Dodge gives about 1/3 of the CTC that mastery does, so 880 dodge is only about 293 mastery worth of CTC. Even the starter trinkets (mirror, for example) have more than that, and Mirror in particular has a fairly useful proc for several fights.

Plus, as you and several others have noted, most of the dangerous damage isn't avoidable. If people are already trying to reach CTC by using as much mastery as possible so they can convert more of the unnecessary dodge/parry to stamina, it wouldn't make much sense to use this trinket, even though the static dodge is over-itemized.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Treck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:29 am

Im not saying resolve is good.
Ive also always had 990 dodge in my head when i think of it as its the "best" one, but its still not a good trinket or something you wanna use in that many fights.
Mirror is obviously not bad either, but theres really only 2-3 fights its that usefull on, id take resolve over mirror on all the others.
I also made it clear that if the only reason you pick a mastery trinket is for its passive ctc, resolve is not a bad choise to compare with.
Its a bit over 3% dodge vs about 5% block.

Also, is there ever any possible way to convert unnnecessary dodge/parry to stamina?
Only real way is gemming really, and there dodge/parry isnt of a concern anyway, since you either choose mastery, or just stamina, gemming for dodge/parry nomatter how far away from ctc cap you are is just not going to be worth it (thats not to say dual colored gems with dodge/parry are pure wrong, but i wouldnt say its much worth it)
Treck

Postby theckhd » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:35 pm

Gemming and enchants are the only ways. But the point is that most of us are still using many mastery or mast/stam gems (and in red sockets, parry/mast or parry/stam provided the bonus is decent). Using a trinket that gives 3% dodge instead of 5% block means that you're sacrificing a potential 2% CTC, which in most cases can be converted to stamina via gems.

i.e. switch from resolve to a 5% block trinket, switch 2% worth of mastery (~150ish rating) on gems to stamina (225 stamina, or a little over 3k health).

It's not an amazingly large trade or anything, but most of us would probably still take it.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Cowmmunion » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:43 pm

I know in my case, I've got 15 pure mastery gems compared to 4 pure stamina gems. I'm reforging almost entirely out of Parry, and would love to be able to start switching those pure mastery gems over. For the time being (and probably forever) I'm going to keep that 403 Resolve of the Undying benched in favor of the 378 Veil of Lies, simply because (Even assuming it was a steady 880 dodge) of the reasons you've stated.
Cowmmunion

Postby DeanWhipper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Long time reader, first time poster, lol

I really can't see why there's so much hate for this trinket, it ramps up to full stacks within 5~ seconds and I can't think of a single situation in DS where I wouldn't be hitting something for anywhere near 10 seconds.

Personally, I've taken the 880dodge with 99% uptime and used it to reforge every bit of dodge on my gear to exp and hit so now I'am sitting on 26exp and 6%hit, this puts me significantly higher on the charts at the cost of 20k~ health or there abouts.

One could argue that I could just go with 2 mastery trinkets and achieve the same thing more efficiently, but my healers all wanted more avoidance rather than mastery.

On the topic of tank dps, I've heard a few people suggest stam stacking was better dps due to Vengence ramping up? Is there any truth to this?

Cheers,
DeanWhipper

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:42 am

DeanWhipper wrote:Personally, I've taken the 880dodge with 99% uptime and used it to reforge every bit of dodge on my gear to exp and hit so now I'am sitting on 26exp and 6%hit, this puts me significantly higher on the charts at the cost of 20k~ health or there abouts.

One could argue that I could just go with 2 mastery trinkets and achieve the same thing more efficiently, but my healers all wanted more avoidance rather than mastery.

The thing, however, mate, is that in this patch, the large amount of damage is unavoidable. I would much prefer the 20k health over being higher on the charts. In FL, I was close to 18.5% dodge/parry and there was a point in early DS that I was nearly 20%. However, when we started to push into heroics, I dropped to 17% dodge/parry in favor of more stam due to the high damage that cannot be avoided.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:55 am

DeanWhipper wrote:On the topic of tank dps, I've heard a few people suggest stam stacking was better dps due to Vengence ramping up? Is there any truth to this?

Nope. Exp/hit are miles ahead of stam in terms of DPS. Even strength beats it out.
theckhd

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:43 am

Only argument I could see is you're also gaining the benefits of having more stam (larger buffer before death) but as theck said, dps-wise, it trails.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:16 pm

DeanWhipper wrote:Personally, I've taken the 880dodge with 99% uptime and used it to reforge every bit of dodge on my gear to exp and hit so now I'am sitting on 26exp and 6%hit, this puts me significantly higher on the charts at the cost of 20k~ health or there abouts.

I would be surprised if your healers could tell the difference with the ~5% swing between avoidance and mastery I think is likely between the two setups; it would be interesting to do a blind test and see if they could tell.

I'm at a similar hit/xpt level, but with two stam trinkets -- one with a clicky heal and one with a rather nice shield proc. I far prefer either of these over the stacking dodge trinket, but understand why some people might like it.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby DeanWhipper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:21 pm

It seems the topic of hit/exp or extra stam rages on lol.

Honestly I think at the end of the day it's a fairly inconsequential choice, just depends what your healers are comfortable with, considering Ultraxion and Deathwing can't parry and those are the only fights where dps gets mega tight.

Thanks for the heads up on stam vengence damage, seemed like one of those garbage rumors that gets spat out in trade.

And, to answer your question Fuzzy, yeah I have no doubt 99% of healers would have any idea, but these are the kinda people that check up armory regularly lol
DeanWhipper

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:28 am

DeanWhipper wrote:Thanks for the heads up on stam vengence damage, seemed like one of those garbage rumors that gets spat out in trade.

Well, there was a time when Stam was simming out as better than Strength, but never ahead of hit/exp. So it was probably just a garbage rumor. For the record, you can always find up-to-date DPS stat weights in the Stat Comparison section of my MATLAB thread (linked in sig).

DeanWhipper wrote:And, to answer your question Fuzzy, yeah I have no doubt 99% of healers would have any idea, but these are the kinda people that check up armory regularly lol

Even among healers that check the armory regularly, I doubt they'd be able to truly tell the difference between 5% parry and 5% block. 50% and 50%, sure. But such small numbers really get lost in the RNG. If you performed a proper double-blind test with a large enough sample size, I'm sure they wouldn't be able to tell.
theckhd

Postby Extermi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:08 am

Now that resolve of undying dropped for me (and as I was Solo Tanking Spine that evening no other wanted it) I came to think about this trinket again, while I was not too excited when it dropped.

As Theck pointed out, we look at a possible trade of ~3k HP (out of roughly 250k, so close to ~1%) against 3.5% dogde. Now, as this will reduce the avoidable damage we take from taking ~60 out of 100 hits to taking less than 57, or roughly 6% less damage taken. I recall times when there was a lot of discussion about tank viability compared to warriors when numbers were in the 3% range. So how can 6% not be relevant ?

I would believe that this would only not be attractive if more than 50% of the incoming damage is non-avoidable (then it would still be 1% less HP for 3% less damage taken). Or, when deadly damage is incoming that could not be reliably survived with 1% more HP, which sounds like a quite hypothetical situation. I would guess in his case you would be better off anyway by just ignoring the CTC (assuming blockable damage is trivial) and just stacking stamina for that.

I would be happy if somebody could point me to the flaws in my reasoning. As we will be starting heroics next week my plan is to use fire/resolve as setup with many STA gems in my armour and switch to scales/veil for "these fights" (and to mirror for the 1 or 2).

Greetings,

Extermi
Extermi

Postby Cowmmunion » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:10 am

I cannot think of a fight in DS where more then 50% of the damage is avoidable.
Cowmmunion

Postby Treck » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:18 am

Its a trade of about 3k HP?
An otherwise normal sta trinket has well over +10k hp, so the trade is about 11-14k hp vs 3.5% dodge.
Treck

Postby Extermi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:59 am

Treck wrote:Its a trade of about 3k HP?
An otherwise normal sta trinket has well over +10k hp, so the trade is about 11-14k hp vs 3.5% dodge.

The "trade" was to keep CTC by replacing resolve with a mastery trinket, which would yield excessive CTC that can be converted to STA. So as resolve equals ~280 mastery, and a equivalent tringet has ~450, that would allow to convert ~170 mastery which equals ~250 STA.
Extermi

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice