Soul Calibur V

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Soul Calibur V

Postby Sabindeus » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Skye1013 wrote:I loved the conquest mode that SC2 had in arcades. Wish that had made it to consoles (it wasn't on GCN or PS2 versions, at least.)

Conquest mode was tons of fun when you had an active arcade scene to play it with. We had an SC2 machine in the university center when I went to college and that was fun as hell.

I think gameplaywise SC2 was the one the community most loved. I have heard a lot of crying about how SC3 slowed it down and had game-breaking custom characters and all that. Personally I just loved SC3 because Siegfried had broken free of the Soul Edge's influence and was no longer Nightmare. Also he was played by Crispin Freeman in the english dub and Crispin Freeman is The Best Voice Actor.

SC4 definitely had more meat story-wise in the arcade mode, but the online play really turned me off with the legions of Vader/Yoda/Apprentice/Algol nonsense. Seriously fuck that shit. I'm not sure what I could say about gameplay of SC3 vs SC4, all I know is I'm still sick of how they fragmented Siegfried's movelist between him and Nightmare. All of the incarnations past SC1 have yet to satisfy me in that regard.

Why did they take my punch?!? Why can't I charge my stomp!?!?!? arrrrrgh >:|
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Invisusira » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:49 am

Sabindeus wrote:Why did they take my punch?!? Why can't I charge my stomp!?!?!? arrrrrgh >:|

They've taken away a good number of my moves, too. For the most part, it seems more... streamlined? Some of the more technical, complex moves have been simplified into Critical Edge attacks, and many of the cheaper, spammy moves have been de-cheapened or removed outright. I don't necessarily mind it, but I also don't really think it was needed. I liked knowing how to do some of the trickier stuff that's now just a simple slide input, and messing with people by using Cervantes' teleports defensively instead of offensively was one of my favorite things to do, particularly against other teleporty characters like Yoshi.

Also, is it just me or has Mitsurugi gotten a bit OP?
Invisusira

Postby Sabindeus » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:36 am

Invisusira wrote:Also, is it just me or has Mitsurugi gotten a bit OP?

Oh god i thought it was just me! :x
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:33 pm

TELEPORT SHENANIGANS
Sabindeus

Postby Invisusira » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:48 am

To be fair, while I don't know HOW to do a lot of Siegfried's moves? I'm quite familiar with the moveset in general and how to counter most of his combos. So timing the teleport-back-and-knock-you-up-in-the-air-as-you-try-to-attack move has become a good way to dispatch aggressive opponents since they've taken away some of my other quick-movement options.

also quit putting your face in front of my bullets when you stand up yo

But yeah, Mitsurugi and Natsu both feel a bit too much on the easy to play and do ridiculous damage/easy to play and moves fucking fast as shit sides, respectively. And Nightmare, while not as easy to play, feels damn fast, too.

Also, Nika was like "what do you MEAN he doesn't like custom characters??"
Last edited by Invisusira on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Invisusira

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:42 am

IN MY DAY Cervantes didn't HAVE a gun! >:O

But seriously the things I was having the most trouble adapting to was: 1. convincing myself that I couldn't catch the teleport back -> dash forward with either my running B, B or rising A, A and 2. reacting in time to that unblockable bullet nonsense. I'm gonna get it though, you just watch! all of my adaptability has rusted away from years of disuse (and spamming the same moves over and over because seriously people online fall for that shit all the damn time) BUT I WILL GET BACK IN THE GROOVE
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:44 am

Invisusira wrote:Also, Nika was like "what do you MEAN he doesn't like custom characters??"

ok seriously I fought a guy in ranked who was playing a custom with a giant phallus attached to his crotch. Shit is not kosher.
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:50 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Invisusira wrote:Also, Nika was like "what do you MEAN he doesn't like custom characters??"

ok seriously I fought a guy in ranked who was playing a custom with a giant phallus attached to his crotch. Shit is not kosher.

I remember this guy that Invis kept running into in SCIV about a year or so ago that was just super creepy. Every custom character he had (we're talking 7+) had some perverse name and it was always a man in a black leather chaps (full on butt exposure) that just screamed nastiness. Every single character this guy had was just disgusting. Bleugh.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:50 am

Sabindeus wrote:IN MY DAY Cervantes didn't HAVE a gun! >:O

sir that is a lie Cervantes has always had a gun. he was only able to use it via pirate's tactics guard impacts in SB/E and SC1, tho.
Invisusira

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:32 am

Finally cracked this open last night. I definitely will have to relearn all the button combinations, since I haven't really played since SC3 first came out.

That being said... I absolutely hate fighting AI Nightmare in arcade mode. Going from full health to 0 in a matter of 2 combos sucks. I suppose once I get better at Guard Impacts and dodging the right direction, it won't be nearly as painful, but until then...

Characters I've played with so far:
Ivy (took like 20 tries to beat Nightmare)
Voldo (took 1-2 tries on Nightmare)
Xiba (took 10-15 tries on Nightmare)

I don't know if that means I'm more of a natural with Voldo, or Voldo is just extremely cheap, but either way, he's the only one that didn't make me feel like I wanted to throw my controller across the room. He's also currently holding my "record time" of somewhere between 7-8 minutes.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:34 am

Yeah, I had that same problem when I first started playing. Nightmare just feels a bit op - like he's fast, powerful, AND has a long reach. Particularly when the CPU plays him and you're trying to get the feel for the new game. I do have to wonder if he has extra health/does extra damage in arcade mode.
Invisusira

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:06 pm

Invisusira wrote:Yeah, I had that same problem when I first started playing. Nightmare just feels a bit op - like he's fast, powerful, AND has a long reach. Particularly when the CPU plays him and you're trying to get the feel for the new game. I do have to wonder if he has extra health/does extra damage in arcade mode.

Yeah I actually died to Nightmare a few times in story mode too, but I blamed this on the late level of that encounter plus playing with a character that I don't consider my "main"
Sabindeus

Postby Invisusira » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:10 pm

My Xbox Live tag is Atraira, btw.
Invisusira

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:02 am

I'm on PS3, so won't be able to be decimated by you guys any time soon.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Other Games