Remove Advertisements

Soul Calibur V

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Soul Calibur V

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:19 pm

A tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Re: Soul Calibur V

Postby Aubade » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:14 pm

I don't usually play Fighting games, but I do enjoy a good ol' Soul Caliber fight with nightmare =].

V looks awesome!
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:46 am

I bought this yesterday for PS3, but haven't started playing. Still rewatching Smallville, though maybe this weekend I'll dig into it.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 am

Played 5 matches on XBLive last night. Won 4 of them overwhelmingly and the one I lost was very close (that guy actually knew how to block and mix me up). Made me feel pretty good.

INVIS ARE YOU READY TO THROW DOWN SON
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm sure this is wishful thinking, but is it possible to fight PS3 vs 360?
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Skye1013 wrote:I'm sure this is wishful thinking, but is it possible to fight PS3 vs 360?

quite wishful, indeed it is not
Sabindeus

Postby Era » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:54 am

How is V compared to IV?

I didn't like IV much, at least in comparison to III. The fourth game sort of felt like it was short on content, other than the standard modes. For example, the tutorial was excellent in the third, but utter rubbish in four (text boxes, wat...)!
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Invisusira » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:16 am

V plays VERY differently than IV. I'd go so far as to say it's a bit of a departure from the rest of the series. The movement is more like other fighting games now, kinda quick and jerky from move to move instead of one big flowing form. It's not really better or worse, just a preference in style. Personally, the flowy movement is one of the reasons I always liked this series more than Tekken or SF, but whatev.

A lot of the moves have been moved around, too. I'm working on breaking four years of motor memory; many of what used to be attack moves are now defensive guard impact moves. And guard impact is no longer back G/forward G; both of those commands do nothing.

The single player is an even bigger letdown than it was in SCIV, which I didn't think was possible. I'm not that bothered since the reason I play this is the multiplayer, but after seeing, say, Tekken's single player? Pretty disappointing.

Aside from all that, I'm definitely liking it so far! Sab, I'm ready to XX_THROWDOWN_XX whenever, you should still be on my friends list. Been playing on Live in the unranked North America lounges a lot; going back and forth between that, story, and practice/arcade mode to get a proper feel for the game.

Also, the box for the Collector's edition is just about the coolest fucking thing ever. That alone is worth the extra money, and between that and the hardcover art book, I have to wonder if they're actually making any additional money on the CE.
Last edited by Invisusira on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Invisusira

Postby Era » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:20 am

Hmm, I probably won't buy it.

I too enjoyed the more flowing playstyle, and I don't have enough people to play with to justify buying a game with a broken single-player and changed up moves. :(
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:04 am

I actually really liked the story mode if only for the fact that it got a LOT more story text inside the game for the first time since Soul Edge. It was too short and didn't cover everything that happened (based on reading the character backgrounds in the art book). But it did get one whole storyline (Patroklos/Pyrrha/Soul Edge/Soul Calibur) told, and that's a big win over "here's a character ending, try and reverse engineer everything else from it". SC4 definitely was better in terms of in-game story presentation than 1, 2, or 3, but nothing holds a candle to the original Soul Edge. I miss that game :(

What I'd LOVE to see and what will never ever happen would be like, 2 or 3 more story modes, for the Z.W.E.I/Viola/Siegfried/Schwarzwind storyline and the Asian folks (Leixia/Xiba/Natsu/Maxi) storyline at least, and possibly other bits and pieces to show what folks like Mitsurugi were up to.
Sabindeus

Postby Invisusira » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Yeah, I'd definitely like a proper story mode for each character. Even the "story via arcade mode" that SC4 did was better than nothing.

I do like how they've given Soul Calibur a personification, too. Now we just need Inferno from SC2 back so they can fight each other. And FUCK YEAH EDGE MASTER
Invisusira

Postby aureon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:52 pm

A even paler comparison to the glory that sc3 was.
aureon

Postby Invisusira » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:39 pm

psh IV was waayyyy better than III. (I'm talking about the game, not the guest characters or the single player, which have little impact on the actual game.) II was the worst iirc. I'm pretty sure I liked SCI better than SC III as well.
Invisusira

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:32 am

I loved the conquest mode that SC2 had in arcades. Wish that had made it to consoles (it wasn't on GCN or PS2 versions, at least.)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Yeah, it didn't have any sort of online mp. I forgot about that, that was pretty cool.
Invisusira

Next

Return to Other Games