[10H] Yor'sahj the Unsleeping

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10H] Yor'sahj the Unsleeping

Postby Kazz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:45 am

We put some serious attempts on this last night (and last week). We raid 2 days per week and have been struggling to keep our core 10 intact throughout the holidays and trickling into January between school and other engagements.

Our group comp for this was is:
DK Tank

Disc Priest + Resto Druid

Ret Pali
Balance Druid (w/ legendary)
Combat Rogue
Fire Mage
Demo Lock
Enhance Shaman
Frost DK

Our resto druid and priest boldly decreed that two healing black/red/green/yellow (we kill green) is largely impossible. I suspect it has more to do with RNG surrounding who gets fixated. Anyone have any tips for this phase? We popped lust and rotated CDs as best we could. Would an Army of the Dead be worthwhile here so that the black adds have more fixate targets? Specifically, I'm wondering if the ghouls are eligible targets for fixate and/or if they will taunt the adds. We didn't have the opportunity to test this out. Does anyone have any other tips for the black/red/green/yellow phase? The combination of the fire attack coupled with fixate from the black adds I feel leaves it largely up to RNG to decide whether or not we make it out of this phase alive.

We tried 3 healing the fight and everyone lived but hit the enrage at around 18%. I think with adjustments to our strategy we could push an extra 8% or so but the fight seems to call for an additional DPS unless you have an exceptional group that's extremely skilled and/or geared.
Last edited by Kazz on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kazz

Postby Adornus » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:55 am

It is absolutely possible as we have two healed every single kill we've had. You should be using lust, which you are, and any throughput CDs (tree form). The adds fixate after a certain amount of time but I believe can be taunted back right away.

I see two possible problems.

Your DPS aren't doing their job and geting adds down quick enough and sets of adds are overlapping. If two sets are up for a while together, people die. Also, once phase transitions to killing new ooze, everyone needs to run out to kill the next ooze to make sure the second set of adds die by cleave.

OR

Your healers suck. I actually find that phase easier to heal with divine favor and hero up than any other phase (less concentration, more HR or PoH spam).
Adornus

Postby Kazz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:59 am

Aye I can see why AM+HR+4p (in its current incarnation) would be extremely beneficial during that phase. Unfortunately, we do not have regular access to a holy paladin with that setup.

Incidentally our healers are probably two of our strongest players. I suspect it's largely bad RNG with fixates and our fire mage needing a HoP or something to that effect.
Kazz

Postby Belloc » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:21 am

You could always try killing yellow, instead. Your raid will need to spread out a bit without moving too far away from the boss, but apparently the damage changes so that it's a bit heavier at first, but not as spiky. Less adds = more DPS on the boss, which would definitely help you beat the enrage if you ever go back to 3 healing.

Also, as was stated earlier in the thread, make sure your raiders aren't AOEing the adds until they've chosen a fixate target. Otherwise, you're probably going to have more than 1 on your mage and he'll be screwed.
Belloc

Postby Modifedpal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:53 pm

hey

I changed my gems and enchants for this fight with the 90 magic resis elix its working out allot easier just the TB trink would make it that little easier on healers, its now having the dps before the timer

having problems staying alive id recommend it makes 6 stacks 55K every 3 secs into 34K every 3 seconds, thats 20K less healing needed
Modifedpal

Postby Técaro » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:45 am

Masanori wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:LoH doesn't, WoG doesn't, Beacon doesn't, healthstone + health pot don't, seal of insight + souldrinker don't.

Pardon my curiosity, but Souldrinker's Drain Life doesn't? I've always been swapping it out for the Mandible when Deep Corruption was in play, but if it's confirmed that it doesn't affect the stacks then that is a load off of my mind in that encounter. :)

I did, however, feel like using a healthstone did apply a stack -- but that could be a timely heal as well from an external source that I didn't notice.

It definitely doesn't, been using it for 3 kills so far.
Técaro

Postby rijn dael » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Healthstone doesn't, or I am going mad - pretty sure it is a list of spells that do trigger it, rather than just SPELL_HEAL event.
rijn dael

Postby Daenerys » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:14 pm

We had quite a bit of trouble with red/yellow/black (killing green) at first too. We would just have attempt after attempt where one person would get killed, and blame adds. I think eventually I figured out that it wasn't really the adds, it was that the person wasn't stacking directly in/underneath the boss and taking a lot more damage from red than necessary. You really need to emphasize that people need to sit directly inside the boss for that phase.

Are the adds tauntable? My DK tank insists that taunting does nothing, whether he waits for the adds to fixate or afterwards.
Daenerys

Postby jekoh » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Daenerys wrote:We had quite a bit of trouble with red/yellow/black (killing green) at first too. We would just have attempt after attempt where one person would get killed, and blame adds. I think eventually I figured out that it wasn't really the adds, it was that the person wasn't stacking directly in/underneath the boss and taking a lot more damage from red than necessary. You really need to emphasize that people need to sit
directly inside the boss for that phase.

Are the adds tauntable? My DK tank insists that taunting does nothing, whether he waits for the adds to fixate or afterwards.

taunting seems to do nothing, I already tried to taunt an add fixate on a dps running after an ooze pop, the add stay fixate and run behind the dps.

We choose to kill yellow in 10hm, it avoids to have a second adds wave, so we go with red-green-black, we use bloodlust, divine gardien and aura mastery and sometimes rallying cry if needed.
people know exactly where they have to be, drawing a circle, and 4y distant from each other. Boss ability from green ooze focus only on distants so other dps and tank stay under the boss, so once you know that, it is easier to find a place for remaining range dps and healers.

Concerning the adds, we faced also the same problem when one person was too strong too early in aoe and the consequence was a fixate from several adds on this person. When we decided to wait some extra seconds that they are well packed before all people start to aoe, the probability that adds focus on one dps was highly reduced.
jekoh

Postby Florismart » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:25 am

My guild is going to attempt Yor'sahj over the weekend. This is our raid comp. The last two spots is for me and our 10th who doesn't show up as much.

I have 4 set on both tanks. I know that as a bear, I can passively lower spell damage, but the pally can glyph Divine protection for added lower spell damage. They're both geared closely to each other and am comfortable in using both.

The resto druid can go feral and do passable dps, (I.e more than tank damage). Basically for this fight, should I be using my Feral tank or my Prot pally and what dps is the last spot I should pug? (Links to my characters for comparison are in my signature.) I was thinking boomkin/warlock/frost dk.

Edit: For the pally I forgot to say I also have the TB trinket, and the normal resolve of undying. The druid has neither of these. Would those trinkets put the pally over less passive damage the druid will take?
Florismart - Shield Tank
Karenthil - Face Tank/Cat Scratcher
Inoichi - Meat Cleaver
Florismart

Postby madmessias » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Florismart wrote:My guild is going to attempt Yor'sahj over the weekend. This is our raid comp. The last two spots is for me and our 10th who doesn't show up as much.

I have 4 set on both tanks. I know that as a bear, I can passively lower spell damage, but the pally can glyph Divine protection for added lower spell damage. They're both geared closely to each other and am comfortable in using both.

The resto druid can go feral and do passable dps, (I.e more than tank damage). Basically for this fight, should I be using my Feral tank or my Prot pally and what dps is the last spot I should pug? (Links to my characters for comparison are in my signature.) I was thinking boomkin/warlock/frost dk.

Edit: For the pally I forgot to say I also have the TB trinket, and the normal resolve of undying. The druid has neither of these. Would those trinkets put the pally over less passive damage the druid will take?

Definitely go with the paladin, glyphed divine prot+mirror up for every phase, and with that setup you can also ask for a painsup/hand of sac for almost every phase, and use guardian on the phases you wont have that, and obviously save AD for panic :) LoD is also amazing here.
Also, your mage should go fire for the aoe imo, and if you want to pug someone, pug a warlock/frost DK, a UH dk is pretty amazing for this fight aswell if you let him stay on the boss. (Altho, you should prolly just go for the best pug you can find, most classes are fine for this fight imo)
madmessias

Postby Florismart » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Alright I'll give it a try on Saturday. I tried to get her to go fire but she has a hard time grasping the randomness of fire. (Always prays for pyros and never gets answered) She loves playing arcane and the meta game of mana management and played arcane since patch 4.0.1.

Yeah I figure any pug would be good for last spot, but I'm trying to get some buffs covered (melee/ranged) haste. It's the same situation with our hunter, he's been playing MM so long he needs to learn how to SV which is the higher dps cap spec. Our highest DD is the arms warrior followed by the rogue. I figure I can get those two to stay on the boss and let the rest of the DDs pick off the slimes.
Florismart - Shield Tank
Karenthil - Face Tank/Cat Scratcher
Inoichi - Meat Cleaver
Florismart

Postby madmessias » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:33 am

Florismart wrote:Alright I'll give it a try on Saturday. I tried to get her to go fire but she has a hard time grasping the randomness of fire. (Always prays for pyros and never gets answered) She loves playing arcane and the meta game of mana management and played arcane since patch 4.0.1.

Yeah I figure any pug would be good for last spot, but I'm trying to get some buffs covered (melee/ranged) haste. It's the same situation with our hunter, he's been playing MM so long he needs to learn how to SV which is the higher dps cap spec. Our highest DD is the arms warrior followed by the rogue. I figure I can get those two to stay on the boss and let the rest of the DDs pick off the slimes.

meeles got WF totem, and if u get a shadowpriest you will get the 3% hastebuff, this is imo the best setup for you, shadowpriests are great for this fight, since they can hymn the first manavoid and got some offhealing if needed.
madmessias

Postby Cowmmunion » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:32 am

We got our kill last night, after about 30 pulls. We did a few things differently then I've seen here.

2 healing with prot pally (me) tank.

We killed yellow whenever it was up. On Green/Red/Blue/Black, we just killed Green and stacked tight. Purple/Green/Black/Blue we killed black, Melee stacked tight and the range just did a nice tight 4 yard circle around us.

When the Oozes spawned, we'd leave myself and the rogue at the boss (And the healers). Initially I would go after the oozes with everyone else and we'd leave the ret pally for more dps, but this was causing tank death to void bolt stacks from time to time.

The first blue we would bring to 10% health or so (at least 20%, never below 10). When we had another blue spawn, we'd deathgrip the low one into our stack and kill it, giving everyone mana. There were times, normally when there was black up and we'd have to AOE them down, where the mana void wouldn't take any much damage and be higher in health then we'd like during the ooze killing time - we'd simply have the rogue and myself bring it down to 10% while everyone else was killing the ooze. This trivialized the mana void, with one exception.

On Green/Red/Black/Yellow, we'd all move to the mana void that was up, stack up tight and kill it, ensuring full mana for our healers on this phase. We'd then move together to the yellow ooze in order to make sure we killed it in time for everyone to get into position. All of the melee would again stack TIGHT on the boss (under the nutsack), and the ranged would have predetermined areas around the boss to spread out in. They'd be 4.1 yards away from the melee stack and at least 4 yards apart from eachother. We'd timewarp, I'd drop my Divine Gaurdian as soon as the adds started hitting. When we got the positioning down, this phase actually felt trivial.

The first blue we'd always leave up and our disc priest would Hymn, so that wasn't an issue. However, since we killed the mana void for the red/yellow/black/green phase, if that is followed a mana void you either need to just try to stay alive through it, or kill it really fast. If you get the Blue/black/yellow/green phase, it's gonna be really tough.

On Black, we'd wait for every add to be up and start moving towards people, and we'd start AOE'ing them then. This was long enough for them to be fixated and not focus people down. Green's we'd just do our ranged at least 4 yards away. As far as purples went, we'd just use Beacon, our 3 LOH (Ret, prot, and holy), some cooldowns and hope our healers were paying attention. I'd say that purple caused us the most problems, even though we'd never killed purple on any of our normal mode kills and we'd 2 healed that from day one, so our healers were very used to it. I ended up switching my gemming around and stamina stacking like a mofo for this fight, using resistance elixir/cloak enchant, and mastery elixir to get in even more stamina. Tank death was definitely the #1 cause of wipes. Use your big cooldowns for the purple phases - even the big damage phases like red/yellow/black/green aren't that hard for healers to keep you upright compared to purple.

I also installed an addon that would RW and Raid chat the ooze to kill and basic instructions - essentially, it would say "yellow + stack" or "black + 4 yrd spread" or "Yellow + timewarp + 4 yrd spread", so this made it easier for the DPS to know what to do.

All in all, it was a little rough learning the fight and figuring it out, but once we had everything down, our kill felt really really easy.
Cowmmunion

Postby Volitaire » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:00 pm

We also got our first kill on this last night. We 3 healed (Priest, Druid, Shaman) and one Tanked (me as prot pally). It took us probably a total of 15 pulls between the time we spent last week and the time we spent last night on it. We did struggle alot early on but as we got more and more used to the rotation of things it became much easier. Being that we are 3 healing it did make the dps check pretty painful and we barely squeaked by on the berserk but we did make it. I did change alot from my normal configuration in that I threw on a mastery elixir, resist elixir, and my TB trinket (so stupid that I am using a 359 trinket for heroic DS fights). This allowed me to really make the purple phases without feeling like I needed my GoAK everytime to survive. Having pain suppression available from our priest heals helped alot so if things got hairy I would just call for that and we were good.

We handled blue much like others have and ignored the first orb and popped mana CD's to get into a usable state. We then would dps the orb down to about 15% and pop it after a second blue slime would show up and drain all the mana. This was really effective as we could also use them orb as a really big mana CD if we found ourselves in a pinch towards the end of the fight. Overall I really enjoyed this fight as a tank as it really made me work for both dps check reasons and also really required me to be on top of my cooldowns. We are back to working on H Zon'ozz again so back to suffering for us :(
<Blood Runs Cold> - Stormrage(US) Alliance 10-man 13/13HM
Late Night 12am-3am EST Tues-Thurs, Sunday
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/volitaire
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/Hamstring2568
Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... ire/simple
Volitaire

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)