Remove Advertisements

[10] Madness of Deathwing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Kitmajere » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:00 am

Era wrote:Like Kitmajere (Dragonlance fan, eh? :D)

Yups! Although I realized later that her last name was not Majere since she had a different father from the twins >,<.
Kitmajere

Postby Era » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:12 am

Ah yes, didn't even think about that! Well, 'Kituthmathar' doesn't sound as nice for a character name anyway. ^^
(Yes, I had to Google to find her proper last name, been too long since I read any Dragonlance...) :(
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Cowmmunion » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:00 am

2 healing, we found it easy enough to survive the bolt hitting and exploding simply by using personal cooldowns and getting out of the way. After we did yellow first last week, our healers claim that it's actually the easiest way to go for them. Of course, we always get the corruption down before the bolt hits. If people are dying from the bolt hitting, either they are standing too close or you are taking too much damage before the bolt gets there and not getting people topped off. Are they standing too near each other and getting crushed en mass?
Cowmmunion

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:01 pm

I would defnitely recommend getting more dps in general both for the burning tentacles and for ph2. 2T and 3H seems like too much healing and too little dps. As far as the bolt deaths, use AuraMastery as the fast bolt speeds overhead with all dps by the limb/wing. Elementium Blast does fire damage based on proximity, thus greater distance and raid CDs like AuraMastery help to mitigate that damage. Other raid CDs (Divine Guardian) can also help, and that would leave AntiMagicShell for when limb health gets low (assuming the raid is propperly stacked).

I imagine there are very few successfull kills with 2T and 3H, just from a dps standpoint. Going to 1T, 2H you will pickup like 1.5 dps which should enable you to kill the Tentacles on every platform prior to the Bolt, which obviates the need for a second tank till ph2. Between even a minor tank CD + bubbles-sac (glyphed DivProt + Hand of Sac) a tank can eat the first impale on every platform. More dps also makes beating the Cataclysm enrage timer on each platform easier. And this will be especially important on the 4th platform where you must dps burning tentacles, and in ph2 to minimize shrapnell attacks. If your DK is skilled, he may even be able to solo tank ph2, otherwise the pally tank could help a little on the big adds (you can play ping pong with 1 add with a healer to minimize stacks if needed).

What really works well is to nuke the tentacle down prior to the bolt spawn or at least right after (big CDs or hero on first platform can help), then burn bolt and keep limb under 20-25 stacks until after Hemorage adds are down, then nuke the limb. Burning the tentacle prior to bolt, gives everyone time to run over next to the limb to minmize bolt impact damage (with AuraMastery of course) and a few big heals can keep everyone up till its down. The raid breaks between the Bolt and the Hemorage allow 2 healers to top off their mana for every platform, and should allow your priest to use HymnOfHope to start ph2. For ph2, you are really going to want more dps to burn all of the shrapnell tentacles as well as the big Tetanus Amalgamation adds. Tetanus is magic damage, and DKs can really shine here, although glyphed DivProt and DivShield-cancelaura work well for a Pally.

I would really strongly recommend having 1 priest go Shadow, and if they have a decent set, have 1 tank got dps as well. But definitely line up 1-2 raid CDs for the bolt impact. When it flashes overhead you have a tick or two to cast it, and then its up for most of the bolt burn down while its ticking on the raid.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Epimer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:56 am

Hrobertgar wrote:I imagine there are very few successfull kills with 2T and 3H, just from a dps standpoint.

It's how we've done it every week (for 6 weeks or so now), and our DPS aren't really exceptional. Even the first kill wasn't particularly tight on any of the soft or hard DPS checks.
Epimer

Postby Kitmajere » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:03 am

Epimer wrote:
Hrobertgar wrote:I imagine there are very few successfull kills with 2T and 3H, just from a dps standpoint.

It's how we've done it every week (for 6 weeks or so now), and our DPS aren't really exceptional. Even the first kill wasn't particularly tight on any of the soft or hard DPS checks.

Even my alt's run used 2T/3H for the first week. And believe me, their dps is *not* exceptional :mrgreen: . Once we realized the second tank wasn't necessary due to pally hax we switched down to 1 for subsequent weeks.
I will point out that your comp is at an advantage b/c either of your tanks can solo tank and still take two impales if needed, and as such dropping a tank would be very doable. Pallys are at a tiny bit of advantage for P1 since they can take care of themselves for two impales if needed (AD, taunt-HoP, taunt-DS). Alternatively your dk tank would need a HoP rotation from your other pallys for the second impales, if they occured. For dk tanks, p2 is pretty much a joke w/ AMSing tetanus; for the pally he can bubble off his stacks once, and if they build up too high again a dps could take stacks until his reset (preferably your dk w/ AMS, but one of your pallys w/ glyphed DP and then bubble would work in a spot, or kiting ofc - note that the terrors do not melee).
However, I would recommend sticking w/ 3 healers for sure since the bolt landing, end of the fourth platform, and the end of p2 can get a bit hairy w/ 2. I especially think this since you're struggling atm with 3 healers on the bolt, I'm not sure dropping one is a great idea :roll: .
Kitmajere

Postby Dibdib » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Geniuses of maintankadin,

I think I need a bit of help with this one, because I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the tentacles.

The problem occurs when my co-tank taunts the tentacle away from me after I get hit with Impale - I seem to get aggro straight back again, and they seem to really struggle to hold the mob long enough to stop me getting hit with another Impale. I'm having to literally stand around doing nothing and waiting for my threat to drop for ages, and just a few hits seems to push me straight back up the threat table.

I don't massively outgear our other tanks and I'm not deliberately trying to maximise my DPS at this point - just a normal rotation - but I seem to be generating a ton of threat compared to our other tanks. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, or what I should be doing to mitigate this?
Dibdib

Postby Treck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:20 pm

If its normalmode, you can use bubble/bop anyway?
It feels like if your co-tank isnt pressing any buttons, but you also got salv you can use, or try a cancelaura macro for RF if its causing much trouble.
Treck

Postby Era » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:17 am

What Treck says should do the trick. Paladins can take 2 impales by rotating Ardent Defender, Bubble, and Blessing of Protection - Meaning that as long as your healers keep their eyes on you, you should survive. Frontallobe has some tips as well, in the first post of this thread.

And yeah... Aggro trouble? You're a Paladin! Kick off that RF and the problem should be solved! ;)
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby zipspally » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:53 am

Hello all. Couple of questions about straightening out the kinks on my guilds Madness kills.

Bear in mind that we all (10-man guild) just started playing again after a 7 month break. We have been back for ~ three weeks.

We 2 tank 3 heal because of our obvious lack of gear. PPally(me), PWarr, HPally, RSham, and HPriest.

1. I take first Impale; the Warr takes off me just in case dps doesn't kill Corruption before second impale. They are getting better but still have one platform of 2 coming out. In our previous kill I would go back to the hand/wing so I didn't take back the corruption unintentionally but we need my dps on the corruption so I keep going all out and we had a wipe where i accidentally took back the boss and the warr said. "Sorry he became immune to my taunt" I salv myself and everything. Any suggestions for this problem?

2. Our biggest kink is the Elementium Terrors. I MUST be doing something wrong here being as I can't find any thread where other guilds have trouble here. We have killed this three times now and the tanks are always dead before last terror(first set) dies. I take one and Warr takes one. At ~6 stacks of Tetanus I bubble my stacks off and Warr gets HoPed. I hit Dream, GoAK, minibubble, trink, everything... we still die. What are we doing wrong here?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Please excuse my ignorance. Disregard question 1.... Turning off RF is hard... Ugh, such a baddie.
zipspally

Postby Grommash » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:24 am

Are you tanking them in the time zone?

If you're a Paladin you should tank both initially, then bubble/cancel once you get to what you believe to be too many stacks. At that point have the Warrior taunt off the unmarked add, yours should die shortly after to which you can taunt the other one back off the Warrior when your stacks fall off.

There are a lot of ways to deal with Terrors. If you have a Holy Paladin have him stand max distance away and taunt both of them off of you. Right before they reach him taunt them back which should allow your stacks to drop off. The main thing however is to just burn one down quick and tank them in the yellow bubble. You can also do something similar with your Prot Warrior using his challenging shout. You should only have two waves of terrors max on normal.
Grommash

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:27 am

Grommash wrote:Are you tanking them in the time zone?

If you're a Paladin you should tank both initially, then bubble/cancel once you get to what you believe to be too many stacks. At that point have the Warrior taunt off the unmarked add, yours should die shortly after to which you can taunt the other one back off the Warrior when your stacks fall off.

There are a lot of ways to deal with Terrors. If you have a Holy Paladin have him stand max distance away and taunt both of them off of you. Right before they reach him taunt them back which should allow your stacks to drop off. The main thing however is to just burn one down quick and tank them in the yellow bubble. You can also do something similar with your Prot Warrior using his challenging shout. You should only have two waves of terrors max on normal.

What he said, plus you can create a macro to turn off Righteous Fury, which I do put on my toolbar for such occasions.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Cowmmunion » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:21 am

Also, it is a lot easier to 1 tank / 2 heal when you are low on gear. You only ever take one impale, you burn the tentacles faster so there is less damage to heal, and you only have to deal with one set of adds on deathwing. If the tank dies to the terrors, it's not a big deal, as the DPS just burns down deathwing anyways (as long as he tanks the terrors long enough that no one else dies to them).
Cowmmunion

Postby Calleana » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:13 am

We found 1 tank/ 2 healers much easier when at lower gear though the waiting mecahnics suggested earlier in this thread. Basically
DPS limb - Switched to mutated tentacle - Burn Bolt - Wait on 80% of limbs health - Kill blood- DPS limb (and blistering tentacles if needed)

Phase 2
Hit deathwing until little tentacles spawn- Kill little tenatcles- Bloodlust Kill Big adds- DPS deathwing

By delaying the damage done to the limb early on you reduce the amount of healing the healers have to do and prevent both sets of adds stacking together. It leads to slower kills but consisitant ones, in fact although we're now probably at the point we don't need to wait quite so long (we could probably kill the blistering tentacles before the blood spawn) our healers like the way we do it at the moment as it leaves them with lots of mana for the last platform and phase 2.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:28 am

We've been doing it with two tanks since the start, never have had problems with it. *shrugs*
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)