Remove Advertisements

Relatively new, competent player seeks advise for greatness

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Relatively new, competent player seeks advise for greatness

Postby SirJason » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:59 am

Hey All! This seemed to be the safest place to post my questions as I wish to avoid trolls at all costs.

I moved into raid tank with my pally, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/earthen-ring/Xanabull/advanced in Firelands after playing a DK for 3 years. I have a basic understanding of the mechanics of Paladins, CTC is perfect when I use mastery/resistance elixirs, however I still feel a bit clumsy and like I'm under preforming in my role. :( (no one like that feeling)

For example:
Our other tank is a Bear and its seems so easy for him to pull mobs off me. Is that because he can out DPS me?

What are the best ways to maximize my DPS? I know that as a tank I wont be at the top but I feel as if I should be pulling more.

I have also included a link to our latest logs http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-g ... 221&e=2560

Thank you in advance for the assistance. I have been cramming as much info as I can from all the forums and my brain feels a bit inundated with information.
SirJason

Re: Relatively new, competent player seeks advise for greatn

Postby Cowmmunion » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:46 am

When you want to look at DPS, the first fight that you should check is Ultrax, where you did a rather poor 13k. The first thing I always check is CS - you did 47 CS in 240 seconds, for an average of one every 5.10 seconds. For example, on my last Ultrax pull I did 70 CS in 253 seconds, or one every 3.61 seconds. You were able to cast 5 SoTR and 5 INQ's, along with 4 WOG's. Meanwhile, in a fight that was just 13 seconds longer, I did 5 Inq's and 22 SoTR - 27 to your 14. Even ignoring the fact that Crusader Strike is your number one damage dealer, you are just missing out on a TON of holy power generation/useage. As another data point, the prot pally in another of our raiding groups averaged one CS every 3.69 seconds on their latest ultrax pull.

Also, you did 6 HoTR. If you added that to your 47 CS, you would be averaging one every 4.52 seconds, which is still bad but not AS bad. There is never any reason on Ultrax to use HoTR over CS. Also, you've glyphed your shield to daze, which is relatively worthless from a DPS standpoint.

From a talent perspective, you have 2 points in Rule of Law and one in Reckoning, when according to Theck Reckoning is almost twice the DPS.
Cowmmunion

Postby SirJason » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:00 am

Thank you for your assessment. I moved some buttons around (CS under a more dominant finger) :) and added that one talent point to Reckoning only I took mine from PoJ rather than RoL. I am still confused on whether to keep Inq up or use the SotR. Should I only use them together or keep refreshing Inq unless Sacred Duty procs?
SirJason

Postby Cowmmunion » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:07 am

If Inquisition is up OR if Sacred Duty is up, you use SoTR. Otherwise, you use inquisition. It doesn't matter if Inq only has one or two seconds left - if it is up, you SoTR. If Sacred Duty is up, you SoTR. Only if neither of those things are true do you cast Inq. You can see Theck's matlab thread for more details.

Obviously PoJ vs RoL is a personal choice. Most people adhere to the "if you moving, you aren't DPS'ing" line of thought - but in DS, there really isn't all that much movement for the tanks. Even on H Morchok where you do move a bit, you drag the boss with you. I think Madness and Blackhorn are the only fights where movement is important.
Cowmmunion

Postby theckhd » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:08 am

If you want to be lazy and focus on fine-tuning the rest of your rotation, just use SotR and ignore Inquisition entirely.

Once you're more comfortable with your rotation and can perform it more tightly (i.e. sub-3.5s CS intervals with proper filler choices), then you can worry about Inq. For details, see the Rotation Simulation section of the MATLAB thread (linked in sig).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Cowmmunion » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:18 am

Theck is right - it's a relatively small DPS increase that you gain from watching it. The minimal DPS from that is nothing compared to the gain you'd have from getting up to a ~3.7s average CS and the accompanying increase in SoTR.

Edit: Just for fun I checked the top WoL on 10n Ultrax, and he had a ~3.63 average CS time, so I think anything below 3.8 should be considered solid.
Cowmmunion

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice