U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Fivelives » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:23 am

I laugh at audiophiles because the human ear can't really detect the difference between most bitrates. I'd like to see someone do a "blind" soundtest, and see if so-called audiophiles can really tell the difference between 128kb/s and 256kb/s (and lossy vs lossless files).

I'm almost positive it's purely a marketing thing, so that companies can sell their cabling for RIDICULOUS prices.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby tlitp » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Five, a lot of ABX tests have been carried over the years. Generally speaking, most lossy-compression tracks are (better said, "should be") transparent in that bitrate range. Stating that all of them fit the description is simply unsupported by facts.

Flex, what the hell gold/nickel layering has to do with being an audiophile or not ? Not that you aren't right to simply LOL at some idiotic marketing attempts, but you seem to be barking at the wrong tree. :P
User avatar
tlitp
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby halabar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 pm

tlitp wrote:Five, a lot of ABX tests have been carried over the years. Generally speaking, most lossy-compression tracks are (better said, "should be") transparent in that bitrate range. Stating that all of them fit the description is simply unsupported by facts.

Flex, what the hell gold/nickel layering has to do with being an audiophile or not ? Not that you aren't right to simply LOL at some idiotic marketing attempts, but you seem to be barking at the wrong tree. :P


Well, the gold plating is useless, but most of those cables are better made.. :-)
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Flex » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:33 pm

halabar wrote:Well, the gold plating is useless, but most of those cables are better made.. :-)


Don't start that crap!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby halabar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Flex wrote:
halabar wrote:Well, the gold plating is useless, but most of those cables are better made.. :-)


Don't start that crap!


Well, I usually buy the cables one level below below the gold plated versions...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Brekkie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:02 pm

Before connecting any cable to your system, give it a firm, robust shake. Grab hold of one end of the lead and shake it for a couple of minutes before you connect it to your system.

The process must – I suppose – do something to the molecular structure of the conductors, dielectric or insulation. What that is I do not know, nor do I care, but it has worked many times in my system.


HAHAHA

Those damn moist, kinky molecular structures!
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby crazyharry » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:12 am

That guy is spreading missinformation, everyone knows the real reason you shake out the cable is because the pointy 1s get stuck in there while the 0s travel right through, so your cable ends up clogged with 1s and your data transfer slows down.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
User avatar
crazyharry
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:27 am

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:11 am

crazyharry wrote:That guy is spreading missinformation, everyone knows the real reason you shake out the cable is because the pointy 1s get stuck in there while the 0s travel right through, so your cable ends up clogged with 1s and your data transfer slows down.

Soaking it in draino can also help with this issue!
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3549
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:00 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9382
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest