Mists of Pandaria sooner than expected?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Mists of Pandaria sooner than expected?

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:32 am

A Break in the Mists: Alert the Press!

Since the announcement of World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria at BlizzCon 2011, we’ve been hard at work on all of the new game features, environments, dungeons, and other content that awaits adventurers. Today, we’re inviting members of the press worldwide to get an updated sneak peek and some hands-on time with the latest version of World of Warcraft’s fourth expansion at an event taking place March 13 - 15.

If you want to know more about what lies hidden within the mists of Pandaria, wait for the season’s end….

Source: facebook and forums.

And like mmo-champion explains, the F&F Alpha started a month before Cataclysm's Press Tour.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Re: Mists of Pandaria sooner than expected?

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:03 pm

I've always expected the release in June.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:04 pm

I can definitely see it before Nov/Dec as they are not redoing the whole world they are just taking on 5 more levels and adding one new race/class. However, I am still thinking that there will be a significant Beta period just for the new content/talents, let alone the system architecture changes. I had thought that they were planning on coming out with a 64bit client for Pandaclysm and things like that will also take a bit of tweaking, so i'm not expecting anything prior to July, but probably more like September or so.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby poptart » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Agreed.

Alpha will probably be 45-60 days long. Some amount of time to "fix" the major issues with it and then Beta will be 90-120 days long. Right there, we are talking no earlier than July and more likely into Aug/Sep/Oct if they started today.

I think those timelines line up pretty well with the Alpha and Beta timelines of earlier expansions.

So, I am eagerly awaiting my Beta invite in late March, April, early May timeframe.

Poptart
poptart

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:09 pm

The talent system isn't changed drastically from what it is now. If you spec Survival as hunter you will get fully talented existing Survival talents periodically as you level as well as core hunter abilities. For Cataclysm they nuked an expanded bigger trees late in the cycle and replaced them with the current trees.

Also the 64 bit client was in beta testing for 4.3.2 PTR and the plan is to have a downloadable 64-bit client you can use for the live game soon. There is a setting in the launcher to switch between the 32 and 64 bit clients now.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:43 pm

If the press event is middle of March (especially since it's an extended press event), I would expect the open Beta to launch at the same time, or right after that even. 3 months of Beta would take us to mid-June, so I think a June release is too early, but July certainly is likely. Absolutely before Blizzcon would have been. August at the latest. You don't want to launch right when people are going back to school.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Also worth nothing is that Tides of War is slated for a July release, and Prelude to Shattering was released a week or two prior to Blizzcon 2010 -- so an August release is quite feasible.

On the other hand, Wolfheart was also supposed to be released around the time of Cataclysm if not earlier, but Knaack suck as a writer, and thus do not care.

I literally chucked Stormrage into the trash bin in disgust at how horrible that book was.
---
Klaudandus

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Flex wrote:The talent system isn't changed drastically from what it is now. If you spec Survival as hunter you will get fully talented existing Survival talents periodically as you level as well as core hunter abilities. For Cataclysm they nuked an expanded bigger trees late in the cycle and replaced them with the current trees.

The abilities you get from the specs isn't what makes the new system a big change. It's the fact that they'll be compeltely overhauling the tech behind talents and specs to do it. I would think that the Cataclysm talent changes were a much smaller change from WotLK (they kept the same system but added the tree-lock and spec perks) than what they're doing in Mists of Pandaria. They still also need to rework and balance the way the classes and specs play as they go, just without talent tree changes as the mechanism. Throw in a new class to create and balance...

And there's related stuff that requires big changes to things that have been in game for years, like making the loot roll system link in with specs so that the Need+ system can be fixed - which sounds to me like a pretty good time to take the opportunity to rework the loot roll tech entriely (it's clear the existing system doesn't allow them to move beyond Need and Greed, with the Need+ and DE rolls just being the same thing with extra effects tacked on).

Pet battles are new tech, scenarios are new tech, challenge mode is semi-new (they already use the ilvl scaling in beta testing). And there's plain old "give them enough time to find all the bugs" testing.

I wouldn't expect this beta to be any shorter than previous ones.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:01 pm

Well, considering no Blizzcon 2012, it means they want a release date before October.

Also, should be noted that people said that the Panda starting area felt extremely polished for being a blizzcon demo.

Which is why I feel that a F&F Alpha within a week or two is not entirely improbable.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:06 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:The abilities you get from the specs isn't what makes the new system a big change. It's the fact that they'll be compeltely overhauling the tech behind talents and specs to do it.

The background glue should take time, but the front facing changes, which people seem to focus on, are a carry over the the level 10 stuff.

64-bit client download http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3988300405
Flex

Postby tlitp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Expecting an early release is counterproductive, to say the least. To the current date, every single expansion was rushed. Unsurprisingly, they all sucked at launch. From balancing issues to content issues to mere bugs, those initial iterations needed a clusterfuck of hotfixes just to get the shit rolling. The serious underlying issues... to be fixed at a later date (/patch), evidently. Yeah, no.

The public beta needs to be extended to at very least six months. The 4-5 months betas should be a thing of the past, as they undoubtedly failed to "polish" the upcoming expansions.
tlitp

Postby benebarba » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:33 pm

tlitp wrote: needs to be extended to at very least six months. The 4-5 months betas should be a thing of the past, as they undoubtedly failed to "polish" the upcoming expansions.

But I imagine the quality of the release version is only as good as the feeback they recieve during the beta. I can't help but wonder if they'll actually see much of a change in the quality of testing from their annual pass invites. Software testing isn't always enjoyable.
benebarba

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:08 pm

You can still get a 6 month beta and release before what was supposed to be Blizzcon. But they need to launch F&F alpha rather soon, and it would only last a month, month and a half if your target is September.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Mozen » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:28 pm

I think the new talent system is much simpler to code, maintain and debug than the old. The real pain behind the overhaul is not really with the new talent system itself, but rather with now it interacts with other subsystems like the new Need+, role-based logic in auto-match groups etc.

I'd rather they release it at the end of the year, to iron out the irritating problems like using BOEs to boost item level for LFD/LFR (this exploit is really just stupid design).
Mozen

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:49 am

This is kind of off topic, but wasn't the whole reason they intially put in ilvl checks so you would get BG queued with like geared people and they didn't want people holding gear in their bags/bank to get queued with lower geared people then equip the stuff and rape face?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General