Remove Advertisements

Weapon enchants

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Weapon enchants

Postby daishan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:08 am

Hey all

Sorry if this is covered somewhere, but it's hard to search the site on my phone.
Last night I ended up with a 2nd souldrinker as no one else needed.
I was planing on just slapping a WW on it as I have LS on my current one, and just switching fight by fight.
But then I thought what happens to the icd of enchants if you switch weps mid fight?
Could I wait for LS to proc then switch weapons and have WW proc straight away or even a 2nd LS if I enchanted both with LS?
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Re: Weapon enchants

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:01 am

I'll let someone with more knowledge correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's anything like trinkets, there is ~30 sec CD before their effects are available.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby daishan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:35 am

Was thinking it must do something like that, but was un sure on numbers.
Guess I'll just use the 2nd one if I want more dodge for the whole fight.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:01 am

I can't imagine it would be too difficult to check... go find a target dummy, equip weapon one, keep hitting until it procs, switch to weapon two. Repeat until bored or desired results are achieved. If you manage to get a proc immediately after a switch, then there isn't a cd (or each enchant is separate.)
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:31 am

Skye1013 wrote:I'll let someone with more knowledge correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's anything like trinkets, there is ~30 sec CD before their effects are available.

Neither of those enchants have an internal cooldown to begin with. I don't think anyone's reported any sort of cooldown limitation after equipping a weapon, either, so I doubt one exists.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby daishan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks Theck
Looks like that on the very short bash I had on a dummy. http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2j4m ... etails/14/
In my first post I was thinking how weapon enchants where in WotLK.
Btw incase anyone was interested you can switch weapons just after gaining the proc and still get the full duration of the buff.
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Cowmmunion » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:24 pm

So, theoretically you could gain a slight DPS increase by having two souldrinkers, one with Landslide and one with, say, a static + attack power bonus. Whenever you got the landslide proc, you could switch out weapons for 10 seconds or so without really risking losing too much advantage from a second proc.

Does switching weapons reset melee swings or anything of the like?

Disclaimer: I'm well aware that any gain here is minuscule at best, I'm simply curious.
Cowmmunion

Postby daishan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Switching weapons dose reset the swing timer, I seem to remember some talk of starting with a quick 1h for ret to build stacks at the start of the fight, but it was shown to be a dps loss due to your swing been reset (this was back in icc).
If I understand Theck correctly the current enchants have no icd just a small chance to proc off every hit, so no dps increase to be had by switching.
But there might be some fights where changing to another enchant mid fight might be a very small advantage, LS enchants for p1 of ship then WW for p2 maybe?
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:28 am

IIRC it also uses a GCD to switch, so might mess up your "rotation."
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:57 am

Skye1013 wrote:IIRC it also uses a GCD to switch, so might mess up your "rotation."

It triggers a GCD, but it doesn't actually use one. In other words, you can swap weapons during the GCD, and it will work, but it'll reset the timer to the full 1.5 seconds. So in the past, you could macro it to an ability such that the ability casts first and the weapon equip follows. That still costs you a little bit of time (usually ~latency), but it's better than using an entire GCD.

That said, I'm not sure how it'll work with the new ability queuing system. I could see that messing the macro up (i.e. it queues the cast but does the weapon swap immediately, triggering a GCD and preventing the cast from taking place).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:30 am

You'd have to use up at least 3 different keybinds/slots to macro it with another ability though.

1) Regular non-equip version of ability
2) Ability + weapon 1
3) Ability + weapon 2

I suppose you could get away with just 2 and 3, if it doesn't try to re-equip the same weapon and reset your timer every time.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice