Remove Advertisements

Need a new Mac keyboard...

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Need a new Mac keyboard...

Postby halabar » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:27 am

Ok, so I was happy with the keyboard that came with my MacPro 4 years ago, but time, food spills, and pounding have left me in need of a new one.

I tried the new style Mac keyboards, and while they are ok for typing, they feel like you are hitting a rock when you spam dps rotations for 3 hours.

I'm currently using a MacAlly piece of crap that has very bad response on some of the keys, and seems to get stuck at times.

So I need a good Mac gaming keyboard, that is suited to a lot of dps rotation pounding, not noisy, and is easy on old fingers that already have some tendonitis.

Any reccommendations?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Re: Need a new Mac keyboard...

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:15 am

I use the chicklet keyboard, took me a while to get used to it after a more traditional keyboard. Could try this overstylized piece of junk http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards ... board-g110
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Amirya » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:56 am

What's the general consensus on Logitech keyboards? I'm looking to replace my keyboard (and mouse!) too, but I'm not in as dire need as Halabar.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm not a fan of Mac keyboards. For gaming I have a Microsoft Sidewinder X-4 that I'm pretty happy with. MS has the best key feel IMO, but I haven't tried that logitech one.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:16 pm

cerwillis wrote:I'm not a fan of Mac keyboards. For gaming I have a Microsoft Sidewinder X-4 that I'm pretty happy with. MS has the best key feel IMO, but I haven't tried that logitech one.

Can you easily feel the transitions from key to key? I got a new dell keyboard for free (sometimes I get swag from several companies that want us as their clients) and while it looks good, the keys feel so flat it's hard to feel what key yer hitting if you're not looking at it.

Im asking because it kinda does resemble that microsoft keyboard, 'cept with less fancy buttons.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby cerwillis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
cerwillis wrote:I'm not a fan of Mac keyboards. For gaming I have a Microsoft Sidewinder X-4 that I'm pretty happy with. MS has the best key feel IMO, but I haven't tried that logitech one.

Can you easily feel the transitions from key to key? I got a new dell keyboard for free (sometimes I get swag from several companies that want us as their clients) and while it looks good, the keys feel so flat it's hard to feel what key yer hitting if you're not looking at it.

Im asking because it kinda does resemble that microsoft keyboard, 'cept with less fancy buttons.

Yeah, I've never had a problem with that. You can set profiles where the CAPS and windows key are disabled, etc. as well.

Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:39 pm

We actually have a place here in Toronto that sells the old white plastic keyboard (A1048) brand new for $30. I was rather ecstatic when I found out after spilling vodka in my last remaining one. If you're interested, it'd a bit of a hassle with shipping and all that, but I know how annoying finding a proper Mac keyboard can be.

And yeah, the new metal keyboards blow for gaming.
Invisusira

Postby cerwillis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Invisusira wrote:We actually have a place here in Toronto that sells the old white plastic keyboard (A1048) brand new for $30. I was rather ecstatic when I found out after spilling vodka in my last remaining one. If you're interested, it'd a bit of a hassle with shipping and all that, but I know how annoying finding a proper Mac keyboard can be.

And yeah, the new metal keyboards blow for gaming.

I've got piles of those keyboards in storage at work, I can't stand them, they misfire too much for my liking, and the keys are too stiff.
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:50 pm

MISfire?

wtf have you been doing to them
Invisusira

Postby cerwillis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Invisusira wrote:MISfire?

wtf have you been doing to them

I suppose I usually get them after an editor of some kind has abused them for years, but I don't like brand new ones either, sloppy, stiff LEGO keys, (edit: yes somehow they are sloppy and stiff at the same time o.O). Apple does most things well, but keyboards, mice and earbuds are not 3 of them.
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Those old style mac keyboards are AWFUL after a few years. They're impossibly hard to press. Invis got his new one and it was like a totally different species. He doesn't seem to notice the difference much, but I was like "OH MY GOD THIS SO MUCH EASIER TO PRESS THE KEYS"
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Kinda wondering how the old Model M would be for gaming

---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:01 pm

cerwillis wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:

Yeah, I've never had a problem with that. You can set profiles where the CAPS and windows key are disabled, etc. as well.

It's the grooves between buttons that matter for me.
---
Klaudandus

Postby laterna » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:14 pm

cerwillis wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:

This. Holy shit this! I use this, but with the numpad being removable. Its been going strong for 4 years now, and it has shown no problems. I did open up to clean it once but thats all the maintenance it ever got. Also, after using it for so long, the feel is amazing. I recently spend a few weeks out of home, and returning to my home PC with this keyboard, the difference is amazing. + macro buttons rock.
laterna

Return to Tech Stuff